GIMP can't save in anything but XCF
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanoy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: GIMP can't save in anything but XCF Reply with quote

The other day I needed to save something in GIMP, but to my supprise the only option was GIMP's XCF image format. I really didn't have the time to look into it, so today I thought I'd try to fix it, first I tried reemerging, didn't work, so I tried downgranding to 2.0.4 (from 2.2.x) with the same result.

Only thing that I think could have hosed it, is imagemagick, and I've even unmerged it and then reemerge gimp to see if that would work. The funny thing now is, when I do emerge -uD world it wants to re-emerge it.

Code:
emerge -C imagemagick

--- Couldn't find imagemagick to unmerge.

>>> unmerge: No packages selected for removal.

Code:
# emerge -uDvp world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild     U ] x11-terms/xterm-200 [197] -Xaw3d -debug -toolbar +truetype -unicode 681 kB
[ebuild     U ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.4-r3 [3.3.4-r2] -cups -debug -doc -examples -firebird +gif -immqt -immqt-bc +ipv6 -mysql +nas -odbc +opengl -postgres +sqlite* -xinerama +zlib 0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] media-gfx/imagemagick-6.2.0.4  +X -cups -debug -fpx -graphviz -jbig +jpeg -lcms +mpeg +perl +png +tiff +truetype -wmf +xml2 0 kB

Code:
# emerge -pv gimp

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/gimp-2.0.4  -aalib (-altivec) -debug -doc -gimpprint +jpeg +mmx -mng +png +python +sse -svg +tiff -wmf 0 kB

Oh yeah, acquire -> screenshot is done too. (which is something imagemagick does too, smells of conflict?)

Hope I'm not too confusing here :)

Thanks.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is a local configuration issue. Try running it as another user and see if the problem persists. It is not possible for the GIMP and imagemagick to conflict, because they do not use binaries with the same names nor do they overlap in any other way.
Nanoy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to tell that I tried deleting my .gimp?? from my home folder. Also I just tried running it as root, with the same results.

edit:

its spraying out this error message when I start it from the terminal

Code:
a calling error occured while trying to run: "gimp_plugin_menu_register"GIMP: PD B calling error:
procedure 'gimp_plugin_menu_register' not found

a calling error occured while trying to run: "gimp_plugin_menu_register"
Schnacki
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you fixed this by now, but I just came across the same error and wanted to post the anwser for others:

There seems to be a "leftover" binary in /usr/bin/ named "gimp". This is not owned by the gimp-2.2 ebuild. This one is started when just running "gimp" (from wherever). You probably can just delete that file (I did). To run Gimp (2.2) you need to run "gimp-2.2".
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: