Share install Experience
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tbird1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Share install Experience Reply with quote

I'm working through some issues installing Gentoo on my box, and I'm reporting my experiences on this site. I have an 'XServer' issue' but that is not stopping me as I have 2 hard drives that I have been flip-flopping back and forth between my main drive(Suse9.0Pro PIII-Coppermine,512MegRam) and my generic p.o.s. Samsung 28gig HD. :evil: . Anyway, I'm posting my progress as I work through this http://www.boneyard.ecwhost.com , so I guess I'm asking is that if anyone has the inclinlination or interest to check out what I'm advising other Gentoo users to be whether I'm on the right track or not. My only problem really is this: I can't get past this: X Server cannot figure out whether I'm running the :twisted: Nvidia GeForce2Mx 400... or the embedded i810E Intel crap. Oh well, that isn't the point of this. a sledgehammer will take care of that problem! I just don't want to steer anyone wrong. I seriously want to help anyone else that is wanting to install Gentoo on their box. Please add comments: I will put them on my page:o
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you dont let the X server figure it out, you tell it which one to use. For example, in you /etc/x11/xorg.conf, if you go to "Graphics device section" you should see something similar to this:
Code:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "fx5600"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    VideoRam    262144
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection
That tells me I've configured a Nvidia fx5600 using the "nvidia" driver (instead of "nv") and it has 256mb of ram.

There are 2 ways to configure your card:
Code:
Xorg -configure
and
Code:
xorgconfig
Xorg -configure is the auto way but I personally prefer the semi-automatic xorgconfig because i get to check everything and make decisions about my system. I suggest you try them out, they are all in http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit,

Thats a bit of over simplification. Your Device Section loads the nvidia driver and allows it to seach for some hardware. When it finds it, it tells it to treat it as if it has 256Mb of RAM regardless of what is actually fitted. The identifier is arbitary, as far as X is concerned.
X stitches the server together using Section types and Identifiers, so this fragment does not actually tell X to use this nvidia device.
It needs to be referenced in a Screen Section by name and the Screen Section called up in the Server Layout.
Its not an error to define lots of devices you don't have unless you also try to use them. X will load the driver, look for the hardware, then unload the driver when its not found.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was more than oversimplication, it was a useful use of my time and resources to give him the info that he needed without telling Xserver ins and outs (which im not too hot on anyway) but also defining just one card would certainly cut one problem out.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit,

Agreed.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
tbird1988
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read all of your helpful replies, however I have tried all the configure flags. Cokehabits had a gave me some good insight however. I'm confident I'll get Gentoo running soon(1 more day off) . I have posted a 'quickie guide to installling gentoo on my web site. I know I mentioned it last night, but if anyone would please llok it over and advise me to correct anything, I would sure appreciate it. I did this to pass on my personal quirks I noticed on my install. Thank everybody! BTW: "Give me Liberty or give me meth!":twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: