Killing X/kdm
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 5:50 pm    Post subject: Killing X/kdm Reply with quote

hey..

I'm about to emerge KDE 3.1, but I figured it would probably be a good idea not to khave kdm runnig while I do so. Problem is, every time I try to shut down X (either by ctrl alt backspace or by finding its number in ps and killing it,) it restarts. I cant seem to shut it down.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Matt
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't any problem in emerging kde from konsole.

PS: Your signature. What does "killall" in Solaris?
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it shouldn't cause any problems to emerge KDE while it is running, but you can try going to a console (Ctrl-Alt-F1, for example), and try:
Code:
# /etc/init.d/xdm stop

Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bsolar wrote:

hmm Wierd..

Casue my computer freezes every time I try to compile kde 3.1. Doesnt matter if its from the TTY console or from konsole. The computer completely freezes, almost as if the cpu were too hot, but this doesn thappin with other compiles...

Any idea what could be causing my lockups during kde 3.1 compile?

PS. Killall in solaris actually kills ALL processes.
sarnold
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra[H] wrote:
bsolar wrote:

hmm Wierd..

Casue my computer freezes every time I try to compile kde 3.1. Doesnt matter if its from the TTY console or from konsole. The computer completely freezes, almost as if the cpu were too hot, but this doesn thappin with other compiles...

Any idea what could be causing my lockups during kde 3.1 compile?

PS. Killall in solaris actually kills ALL processes.

There should be a bigass warning that killall in Solaris is a COMPLETELY different command than killall in Linux.

That sounds like, just maybe, you actually did "killall" on a production Solaris box once... :-o

First, the easy ones (lockups are a little tougher) - if you want to boot to a vga console (when you normally boot into xdm/gdm/kdm) just move your /etc/runlevels/default/xdm link to another dir (and then move it back when you're ready go back to xdm). You can always test X startup things quicker and easier from "startx" then xdm...

Ctl-Alt-Fx to switch from X to a console usually works fine, except with some graphics chips and x-server configs. For, example, the radeon cards have a lockup bug when you try switching like this (or even Ctl-Alt-Bksp). However, it also seems X server and/or config dependent as well, since I see this bug under RedHat (X 4.1) but not under Gentoo (X 4.2) with the built-in radeon driver and the same exact hardware.

Lastly, lockups with Linux are usually hardware problems, unless the software is just incredibly bad (which is generally *not* the case with the software in portage; well, maybe some of the masked stuff...).

If you've verifed that your portage config is correct for KDE, and the rest of your system is up-to-date, then it sounds like hardware. Can you compile a kernel? Did you already emerge xfree successfully?

My general troubleshooting procedure is to try something that's both reasonably stressing and pretty much guarunteed to work. A kernel compile is a good example. If it fails, take that piece out (or swap it with another one) and try again. If it works the second time, => bad hardware. This applies to SIMMs/DIMMs, CPUs, cards, motherboards, drives, etc. Of course, you enough parts lying around to do this (or borrow from a friend, etc).

I just did a bit too much of this recently, as I built two Athlon machines from scratch (one for a x-mas present, and then an upgrade for me).

I went through several DDR DIMMs, one of which worked fine for a few weeks, then caused random lockups with Linux every few minutes. The next one caused seg-faults with gcc while compiling a kernel. I only made it through a kernel compile once out of about 30 times (the first time). Otherwise, the machine seemed to run okay.

I also got a brand-new motherboard that apparently isn't "compatible" with a standard bus-mastering PCI SCSI card (a full-blown UW bootable card that works fine in a dozen other motherboards). Say what?!? Not "compatible"?!? Even with an EIDE drive, this board froze up in less than a week.

Sticking with name-brand hardware is a little better, but not always. It really sucks these days...

Hope this helps, Steve

PS. My recommendation: if you have enough funds, buy a Mac and run gentoo/OS X on it. That's my plan, as soon as I save enough dough...
Zarathustra[H]
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarnold wrote:

Lastly, lockups with Linux are usually hardware problems, unless the software is just incredibly bad (which is generally *not* the case with the software in portage; well, maybe some of the masked stuff...).

If you've verifed that your portage config is correct for KDE, and the rest of your system is up-to-date, then it sounds like hardware. Can you compile a kernel? Did you already emerge xfree successfully?

My general troubleshooting procedure is to try something that's both reasonably stressing and pretty much guarunteed to work. A kernel compile is a good example. If it fails, take that piece out (or swap it with another one) and try again. If it works the second time, => bad hardware. This applies to SIMMs/DIMMs, CPUs, cards, motherboards, drives, etc. Of course, you enough parts lying around to do this (or borrow from a friend, etc).

I just did a bit too much of this recently, as I built two Athlon machines from scratch (one for a x-mas present, and then an upgrade for me).

I went through several DDR DIMMs, one of which worked fine for a few weeks, then caused random lockups with Linux every few minutes. The next one caused seg-faults with gcc while compiling a kernel. I only made it through a kernel compile once out of about 30 times (the first time). Otherwise, the machine seemed to run okay.

I also got a brand-new motherboard that apparently isn't "compatible" with a standard bus-mastering PCI SCSI card (a full-blown UW bootable card that works fine in a dozen other motherboards). Say what?!? Not "compatible"?!? Even with an EIDE drive, this board froze up in less than a week.

Sticking with name-brand hardware is a little better, but not always. It really sucks these days...

Hope this helps, Steve

PS. My recommendation: if you have enough funds, buy a Mac and run gentoo/OS X on it. That's my plan, as soon as I save enough dough...

Thanks for your tips.. Being an oldschool overclocking buff I am very familliar with these steps, I was hoping not to have to do them though.

I mean, I JUST compiled my entire install from scratch, including X, gnome 2, KDE 3.0.5 and everything else last week. So blaming it on hardware seems kinda odd, unless some of it just randomly decided not to work...

Oh Well.. I'm going to try some stuff again.

Thanks for your help,
Matt
grafty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sarnold wrote:

First, the easy ones (lockups are a little tougher) - if you want to boot to a vga console (when you normally boot into xdm/gdm/kdm) just move your /etc/runlevels/default/xdm link to another dir (and then move it back when you're ready go back to xdm). You can always test X startup things quicker and easier from "startx" then xdm...

The elegant way to do this is like this...

To set it up so that your PC boots into XDM (or KDM, or GDM, whatever you set in your /etc/rc.conf file):
Code:
rc-update add xdm default

To set it up so that your PC boots to the console:
Code:
rc-update del xdm default
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra[H]'s problem was later diagnosed as being cooling-related, and an interesting discussion evolved that has now relocated to Cooling.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: