Howto: Machine calls a phone number when email arrives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Howto: Machine calls a phone number when email arrives Reply with quote

I have a need for a machine to call a specific phone number when an email arrives to it. The phone number it needs to call will be different per day of the week, and not the same number every monday/Tuesday/etc so some way to set up a schedule would be a must. On top of that if the person its calling doesn't respond via another email in 10 minutes or so it has to call them again, plus another person. I'm kinda hoping for an already created package to exist for this, cause editing a bunch of cron jobs isn't really a viable solution for the administrative purposes. I suppose reading out a SQL database would be the best way of this....any ways...any pointers?
SilverOne
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any packages that do this, but if I would make one, these would be the components:

- script to process incoming mail
- script to determine (probably through an SQL database) the person to call.
- script to make the call (probably with an audio file)
- an insert into a database to indicate it's waiting for a response (something with date/time, e-mail characteristics, person contacted, etc)
- an insert into cron to check the status in 10 minutes
- script to check the database for current status, and if necessary, re-enter itself in cron (to check in another 10 minutes), call somebody else, and update the status in the database.

The first script should also update the database if the correct response mail was received. (the cron script would then, not call, and delete it's entry from the cron file)

If peripherals are set up (mail system, database system, and modem) then it shouldn't be too difficult to setup. My primary concern would be to create a suitable and usable "scheduling" system for the persons on-call.

Good luck
KePSuX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SilverOne wrote:
My primary concern would be to create a suitable and usable "scheduling" system for the persons on-call.

Good luck

Oh yea, this is the hardest part. The person that will be updating the schedule is definatly not going to be interested in digging around in crons to keep it updated, so that was the part that had me stumped the most. Good ideas on some other things in case I have to write it from hand though, thanks!

If anyone else has any tips, I'd love to hear them!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: