RR4 LiveDVD & mdadm issue
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cschmid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: RR4 LiveDVD & mdadm issue Reply with quote

Hello,

Trying to install Gentoo for the first time and hit a snag. I have two SATA drives that I mirrored with RAID1 using the tips in http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID_mirror_and_LVM2_on_top_of_RAID#System_configuration. Everything was going ine and I was downloading the data for stage 2 when my power went out. Once power came back, I noticed that the raid partitions weren't visible anymore (that's fine, I read a post saying that the live DVD doesn't autoconfigure the /dev/md devices). I did a modprobe raid1, then tried the following command:

Code:
mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

This resulted in a segmentation fault. Adding --verbose doesn't give additional information. It just prints 'mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md0', and then seg faults. /var/log/messages only contains a 'Apr 17 11:29:49 lyxnaycd md: md0 stopped' line... Examining my sda[1-4] and sdb[1-4] partitions with mdadm -E shows that everything is fine (all of them are clean).

I read in a forum post that some people were getting seg faults with mdadm v1.8.1 and had to downgrade to 1.7. Could this be the problem I am having? I can always wipe out the arrays and create new ones since I'm still in the early portion of installation. However, if there is a bug with the mdadm program, I would want everyone else to be aware of it.

Thanks,

Chris Schmidt

[UPDATE]: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=73777 discusses the defect within mdadm. v1.8.1 is a beta release of mdadm 2.0. I'm guessing the LiveDVD is complete now, but is there any way to get the older version of mdadm 1.7 added to RR4?

Is it possible for me to downgrade mdadm somehow after booting the LiveDVD? Since I don't have access to my filesystem on the machine, I don't know how to get the correct version of mdadm installed so I can assemble the arrays and start the stage 2 process again.
Maedhros
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
lxnay
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please post this problem to RR4 LiveDVD thread in this section. I'll try to fix it with the next release.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: