View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
genmud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Xorg Lockup when quitting Reply with quote

I am having problems with my X server locking up when i exit it... It works fine except it freezes and brings a dark screen, or garbled images/scanlines when i exit X. I am using the ati drivers and I am wondering if there are any known issues. I will post my Xorg conf file when I get home...

Thanks,
Jim
jamesdick628
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember this used to happen to me when I was also using the framebuffer for console. It stopped happening when ati started releasing updated drivers. I think that was actually one of the bug fixes. What version of the drivers are you using?
genmud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just now did an emerge world and got the new ati drivers (8.12.10) i am going to go through and reconfigure my Xorg file, and see if it helps... but I am getting some weird errors in my xorg config... ill post them in a bit.
I am also using a 2.6.11 kernel if that matters... I have read that there were some problems with drivers with that kernel.
genmud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the problem is still persisting... I updated to the newer ati-drivers, and still nothing... I also recompiled my kernel with several options on and off, and for some reason whenever I bring it out of vc/7(X) X crashes... Everything is just fine in the Xorg.log and I just dont see what the hell is happening... heh. I am getting acceleration because i get like 5,000fps when i run glxgears.

When i switch to another virtual terminal(control-alt-f1) and it takes the whole system down with it... networking etc... and just makes the system hang. Everything works fine until I do this... I then have to hard power-off the system.

Anyone hear of anything like this problem???

Jim
jamesdick628
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This used to happen to me. I couldn't stand it because sometimes you just don't want to be in X anymore. Never found a solution for it, it just went away magically one day. Have you tried using the radeon driver provided by xorg? The crashes didn't occur when I was using that driver and lucky for me the radeon driver supports hardware accelleration for Radeon 9000s.
genmud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... this only happens when I use the ATI driver, when i use the regular driver everything is fine...

Unfortunatly I dont think that they support 9800XT's in that builtin radeon driver... and the reason that I need it is because I am going to be doing some small work on 3d programs for work. :(
genmud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i have been forced to recompile without framebuffer so that I can come in and out of my vc's :(

it works when I dont have the frambuffer enabled in the kernel, but the text on the vc's are so huge! ARGH.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: