View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: PIM/Calendar solution/project Reply with quote

is there a good ical compliant PIM that is only a PIM and not an Outlook clone?
I've been looking forever and can only find evolution.

if not is anyone interested in starting a project?

i want something that can manage my calendar and have the information accessible so that i can sync it with my phone/pda, attach appointments to emails, add appointments that were attached to emails i received, etc., etc., etc., without providing support for email, syncml, bluetooth, etc, etc, etc.

in short i want something that does its job good and only does its job, the unix way. when i used evolution i spent more time mousing, clicking, scrolling, than PIMing. i'd rather configure mutt how to handle ical attachments and use mutt for email because its better than evolution email, or pine if i choose so.

i've been reading http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3283.txt and it looks really smart

i cant be the only person who needs to manage a calendar and wants a better, more open solution.
thepi
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you're definitely not! I'd like to see such an app as well, not an evolution fan either :?

Currently I'm looking for an .iCal-compatible calendar app. Something more complete than Mozilla Sunbird. The main problem is the lack of apps that are able to do synchronization. Especially support for different mobile phones is almost impossible to get. I guess we'll have to wait 'till "the industry" as a whole finally accepts linux as an alternative OS (and for hell to freeze over...) :roll:

Well, the fundamentals (syncml...) are there, maybe someone has a heart for us someday :)

pi~
flazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is what got me so motivated, to have it sync well with phones. i reason that if there is a simple 'calendar store' as described in the rfc it would be a simple matter to get a syncml util to sync phones.

'calendar store' -> 'sync util' -> [irmc, ...] -> phone

and also why should we have to have a big program running to give us alerts, why cant a simple script in cron access the calendar store and do it for us; same goes for editors, etc.

there is so much functionality in unix already, i dont need the wheel reinvented.

if anyone is interested in starting a project please PM me :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: