install on vaio r600 from cd, can't get to the partition bit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pixelbeast
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: install on vaio r600 from cd, can't get to the partition bit Reply with quote

hi,
I have a laptop (sony vaio R600HFPD) which has problems getting through the first stages of the install.
All the messages go passed so quickly, but it does say the following... "no block devices found" and "no volume groups found"
It then asks me to specifiy a "root device", to which all my efforts are replied with "not a valid root device"
I am aware of other people on the net having problems booting linux from the cd-rom drive on this and similar laptops, where the topics of firewire and acpi appear in people's blogs. But as far as I can gather I shouldn't have any problems with either since I have tried putting "acpi=on" on the boot command line, and I think the problems with firewire are pre kernel 2.6 ?? (not my area of expertise though )
Have I done anthing really stupid? I am trying to install to an empty partition, with another two partitions been taken by WinXP, I don't have to sub-partition this until I get to the appripriate bit in the install do I?
Thanks for any advice,
pixel
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When everything goes wrong, there is the alternative install guide.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: install on vaio r600 from cd, can't get to the partition Reply with quote

pixelbeast wrote:
I am aware of other people on the net having problems booting linux from the cd-rom drive on this and similar laptops, where the topics of firewire and acpi appear in people's blogs.

I don't think the official Gentoo CDs deal with external cdroms very well. I would try booting with a KNOPPIX CD or a Gentoo RR4 LiveCD
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: