updated gentoo and now my box won't finish booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimp2x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: updated gentoo and now my box won't finish booting Reply with quote

I updated gentoo and now my box stops booting after "starting cupsd"

i don't think it's a cupsd problem, but help me out here...this is my main server and its very frustrating, it starts networking but not SSH, so i can't get in remotely, it also does'nt start iptables so i am having lots of problems

and i'd really like to know why it tried to install gcc3.2 and broke gcc for me? i don't think it's very considerate to implement a broken portage tree...not very server friendly
fifo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea why it's not booting normally, but presumably you can get at least a partially working box by booting in "single" mode, and starting the most important services manually.

The update world feature isn't really designed to used blindly with production servers. You should always use the --pretend option first and, especially if it wants to update something really important such as glibc or gcc, then proceed with caution. Most of the time there won't be any problems, but with the amount of software, and the almost unlimited number of possible configurations, there's always the potential that something might break.
rtn
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: updated gentoo and now my box won't finish booting Reply with quote

gimp2x wrote:
I updated gentoo and now my box stops booting after "starting cupsd"

and i'd really like to know why it tried to install gcc3.2 and broke gcc for me? i don't think it's very considerate to implement a broken portage tree...not very server friendly

Before you start blaming broken software in portage, there are a lot of other
factors to consider. Many/most people are running gcc 3.2.x out of portage
and it's working just fine. I have two work servers running gentoo, one
production and one development. Both are running gcc 3.2.1, and both
have never had a portage problem.

Try booting into single user mode, and fixing whatever is broken. If that
doesn't seem to work for you, boot from the gentoo livecd, mount your filesystem,
and do what you need to do.

--rtn
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: