local texmf directory?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papeye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: local texmf directory? Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a standard local texmf directory in Gentoo (e.g. for installing new classes and styles.) The directory that the ebuild "touches" is /usr/share/texmf, so I don't think that is the right directory.
There is no /usr/local/share/texmf or ~/.texmf directory. How would I set latex up to use files in these directories if I created them myself?

Thanks!
C.
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can create these directories by yourself (~/.texmf for per user added styles, /usr/local/share/texmf for systemwide local additions) and add them to the environment variable TEXINPUTS.
papeye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much!
evoweiss
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: local texmf directory? Reply with quote

Hi,

I forgot where I took my cue from (maybe ctan or usenet forum dedicated to LaTeX), but here's what I do.

I created a directory called /usr/share/texmf.local. Within that directory I created a tex and bibtex subdirectory and, in each of those directories, are the various directories, etc., for the styles and the like.

To get these directories to work, you need to add the following to bashrc:

Code:

export TEXMFLOCAL=/usr/share/texmf.local

Run texhash after that and everything should be ok.

Best,

Alex
papeye
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: now it works Reply with quote

To wrap up what worked for me: Somewhere on the net I heard about the command 'kpsepath'. It will tell you all the paths tex and friends search for the various types of files. At the end of each path is a // or an ///. I am fairly certain that // means "this directory" and /// means "this and all subdirectories".

Some examples:
For latex classes (.cls) and and styles (.sty)
Code:
# kpsepath tex
.:/root/texmf/tex/generic//:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/tex/generic//
:!!/usr/share/texmf/tex/generic//:/root/texmf/tex///:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/tex///
:!!/usr/share/texmf/tex///

For bibtex styles (.bst)
Code:
# kpsepath bst   
.:/root/texmf/bibtex/bst//:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex/bst//
:!!/usr/share/texmf/bibtex/bst//:/root/texmf/bibtex///
:!!/usr/local/share/texmf/bibtex///:!!/usr/share/texmf/bibtex///

I haven't changed any environmental variables, so these paths are searched by tex by default.
Notice that both /usr/local/share/texmf and ~/texmf (~ = root for root!) are included in the search path. No modification of environmental variables needed if the files are placed in these subdirectories.

:arrow:~/texmf/// will be restricted to that user only
    :arrow:/usr/local/share/texmf/// will affect all users, will not be touched by emerging tex/latex
    :arrow:/usr/share/texmf/// will affect all users, but will be modified by installing/uninstalling tex/latex using emerge

After placing the files in the one of these subdirectories, run 'texhash' as root to notify tex of the new files.

Thanks to everyone.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: local texmf directory? Reply with quote

evoweiss wrote:
Hi,

I forgot where I took my cue from (maybe ctan or usenet forum dedicated to LaTeX), but here's what I do.

I created a directory called /usr/share/texmf.local. Within that directory I created a tex and bibtex subdirectory and, in each of those directories, are the various directories, etc., for the styles and the like.

To get these directories to work, you need to add the following to bashrc:

Code:

export TEXMFLOCAL=/usr/share/texmf.local

Run texhash after that and everything should be ok.

Best,

Alex

This tip worked for me quite well. Thanks for posting it here (I was in such a loss with the TDS documentation...)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: