Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Weird newbie question: xorg.conf not where it should be!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Entropius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Weird newbie question: xorg.conf not where it should be! Reply with quote

So, I'm trying to get the Radeon Mobility 9600 working on this thing, and I'm going through the instructions at http://odin.prohosting.com/wedge01/gentoo-radeon-faq.html. This involves autogenerating a new xorg.conf, so I figured I'd find my old (working, but no acceleration) one, back it up, and refer to it later so the new one does what I want it to (like deal with my 1280x800 LCD panel).

I've only used Mandrake and Fedora before (Gentoo newbie), and I'm used to xorg.conf living in /etc/X11. It's not there.

So, I did a find | grep xorg.conf. (There's gotta be an easier way to hunt for files ... what is it?)

It found an xorg.conf.example in /etc/X11, which I know isn't mine because it mentions a Matrox Millennium 1.

The other two hits were

./usr/share/man/man5/xorg.conf.5x.gz
./usr/portage/app-emulation/vmware-linux-tools/files/4.5.2/xorg.conf

... neither of which are what I'm looking for.

I've obviously got an X config file somewhere, since I'm typing this from X. Does Gentoo call it something else, or am I just dumb?
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no xorg.conf by default. You must create one. There are a few methods
Code:
xorgconfig ... the one I typically use
xorgcfg
fglrxconfig ... if you happen to use the ati-drivers
(...........) ... one for nvidia I think

And once created it does go in /etc/X11/.
Entropius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So X can run with no config file?

That's odd.

I'm new to Gentoo...I just naively did an emerge kde, then startx, and -- poof! -- X started up, in 1280x800, with touchpad tapping working, etc., etc., etc.

I know there are some things that fglrxconfig's config file got wrong (it didn't have options for widescreen displays, for instance) ... so there's nowhere I can find a copy of the X config that it's using so I can fix the new one?

Hmm. Learn something every day!
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropius wrote:
So X can run with no config file?

That's odd.

I'm new to Gentoo...I just naively did an emerge kde, then startx, and -- poof! -- X started up, in 1280x800, with touchpad tapping working, etc., etc., etc.

I know there are some things that fglrxconfig's config file got wrong (it didn't have options for widescreen displays, for instance) ... so there's nowhere I can find a copy of the X config that it's using so I can fix the new one?

Hmm. Learn something every day!

No poof as you put it :)

I guess it's ati-drivers-8.10.19 or older that you are using? ... look for /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (maybe without the "-4", but I think ati adds that). Xorg will fall back to the older XF86Config name if xorg.conf does not exist.
Entropius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, fgrlxconfig created one at /etc/X11/xorg.conf ... I was just wondering where the old one was so I could compare the two.

I suppose there's not one, and when this openoffice compile finishes (i.e. when hell freezes over -- you'd think an athlon 64 could compile faster than this!) I'll see how the new one works.

Thanks for your help.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you had an /etc/X11/xorg.conf prior to running fglrxconfig and did not back it up, then likely fglrxconfig overwrote it :) Anyways, I guess you got it figured out now.

How long is the Athlon64 taking to compile OOo? I usually just say the $#%% with it and install openoffice-bin on my Athlon XP sytem :D
Entropius
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took about 5-6 hours, I think ... but it was running at 800MHz (of 2200) for a good part of that time because I goofed up some acpi stuff.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entropius wrote:
It took about 5-6 hours, I think ... but it was running at 800MHz (of 2200) for a good part of that time because I goofed up some acpi stuff.

And you complain ... even 5-6 hours would feel nearly instant compared to compiling on my athlon xp 1800+ :P

Thanks for the reply.

PS: if/when you are content that you have your "problem" solved, don't forget to mark this thread as solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: