Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 3/25/05! OLD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chizu wrote:
the_enigma wrote:
Using latest ATI drivers, and wine 20050310 with the two mentioned patches, it installed fine. It runs well too, except for the sound issue. Except it keeps crashing after playing from anywhere between 2-15 minutes. I'll occasionally get "memory could not be written to" errors from WoW itself, but most of the time I just get the game locking up, and I have to kill the wineserver.

Has anyone else experiencing these sorts of crashes? Everything else runs fine on my PC, and it's not overclocked.

I haven't enabled debug for wine, I'm going to do that now, and see if that fixes it

That sounds like the errors I've been experiencing. I'm using wine-cvs with the two patches, latest ATI drivers and it runs pretty well excluding the freezes/crashes. I sort of fixed sound by running it with nice -19 when I launch it. I think it's something to do with how the ATI driver is handling agp memory, as I get the above posted errors in my kernel messages when it crashes.

What kernel version are you using and have you tried any drivers earlier than 8.8.25? 8.8.25 does the same thing for me, just a little more often, and I'm using gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.11-r4 and I've tried it with gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.10-r6. Do you get any errors in your kernel messages too?

Running 2.6.11-rc4-love1 sources. Some call it living on the edge, but NWN works wonderfully under it, and it's usually the game that breaks. I've only tried the latest ATI drivers so far. Might try some others at some stage. Then again, I am only on a guest pass to WoW, and if it continues to 'work', and I use the term loosely, like this, I'll just stop playing.
xevix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory crashes can be fixed by using legacy_va_layout in the vm. For CK sources, you goto /proc/sys/vm and change the '0' in "legacy_va_layout" to a '1'. Just remember to change it back after you're done playing... the older way of handling memory will slow down other programs. Also, don't forget the "memory layout override" that you can specify the game to run with. These two combined help to resolve memory-related crashes.
2gb pc-3200 DDR
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was getting those kernel OOPS as well... I think it is due to the ATI fglrx driver and new inotify feature of 2.6 kernels... I disabled the inotify in my kernel (under filesystems), recompiled the kernel and reinstalled the fglrx module. This seemed to make the problem go away. I am using linux-2.6.11-gentoo-r4 with preempt and big-lock preempt enabled.

Also as mentioned before, ATI users using fglrx-8.10.19 or older you must filter out the GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object extension, so that wine (and hence WoW) does not use it. This should fix any screwy geometry. See http://acyr.net/projects.php#filter_ext for more details. I am the author of this filter library, so feel free to email me or post your questions.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xevix wrote:
Memory crashes can be fixed by using legacy_va_layout in the vm. For CK sources, you goto /proc/sys/vm and change the '0' in "legacy_va_layout" to a '1'. Just remember to change it back after you're done playing... the older way of handling memory will slow down other programs. Also, don't forget the "memory layout override" that you can specify the game to run with. These two combined help to resolve memory-related crashes.

Ok, I did the 'legacy_va_layout' thing, and I played for at least 15-20 minutes fine, probably even more than that, then it crashed again.
Forgot to try the "memory layout" thing though, I'll try that now.
chizu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_enigma wrote:
xevix wrote:

Ok, I did the 'legacy_va_layout' thing, and I played for at least 15-20 minutes fine, probably even more than that, then it crashed again.
Forgot to try the "memory layout" thing though, I'll try that now.

I tried the legacy_va_layout fix earlier and got the same results.

What's the memory layout thing entail?
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

[AppDefaults\\WoW.exe\\memory]
;; Attempt to make memory allocation more windows like.
;; Not for use with all applications. Best used in app default section.
 "MemoryLayoutOverride" = "0x10000000"

I tried that, in ~/.wine/config
Didn't help. At least, I don't think so. I can play for easily 30 minutes with that va_legacy change at least
Is the syntax correct above?
tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKLP wrote:
Hi

I've installed wine from cvs plus the patches for wow 1.3.
I works fine except for these problems:

* Hardware Cursor isn't available (This isn't available on Windows -opengl at all, right?)

* The rings around characters when you select them doesn't show (same here right?)

* I have no sound :(
I have a hardwware cursor I think, otherwise the ring doesnt show because it is being drawn beneath the ground, and the sound doesn't work. The targetting ring is a Blizzard bug as far as I can tell (I can see it occasionally), and the sound is something wrong with wine's alsa or general sound output.

EDIT: on an a64 (32bit kernel) and an nvidia graphics card, with a patched cvs build of wine, I have no crashes.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, this is strange. I just disabled the vm_legacy thing, and tried again. I played for ~1 hour, no crashes at all. Maybe wine and/or WoW is really temperamental about stability. My CPU and my whole PC run fairly hot, as it's a shuttle that's packed to the brim. I'll test more tomorrow however.
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are running a version of Wine (not Cedega!) that can play WoW in OpenGL mode... then setting legacy_va_layout will not do anything. This is already worked around with the wine-preloader application... run "ps -A | grep wine" and check for the running "wine-preloader" process while WoW is running. If it is running, then legacy_va_layout won't do anything.

One thing that is worth trying, however, is using the wineoss sound driver instead of the winealsa driver. Or try running with no sound at all: "wine WoW.exe -opengl -nosound". It was reported on the Wine mailing list that the Wine alsa driver might be the cause of the crash.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septor wrote:
If you are running a version of Wine (not Cedega!) that can play WoW in OpenGL mode... then setting legacy_va_layout will not do anything. This is already worked around with the wine-preloader application... run "ps -A | grep wine" and check for the running "wine-preloader" process while WoW is running. If it is running, then legacy_va_layout won't do anything.

One thing that is worth trying, however, is using the wineoss sound driver instead of the winealsa driver. Or try running with no sound at all: "wine WoW.exe -opengl -nosound". It was reported on the Wine mailing list that the Wine alsa driver might be the cause of the crash.

Adding on that no sound thing. I've been running with 'drivers=""' in ~/.wine/config, so basically no sound, and it still crashed. But I never tried telling WoW that there was no sound ... another thing to try tomorrow.
Waywocket
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, sorry to rub salt in to the wound, but I'd just like to report my success. I still get minor crackling on a few sounds (accepting quests is all I can think of off the top of my head), and targetting circles are drawn marginally below the ground, but other than that the game runs perfectly, for hours at a time, without noticeable slowdown compared to playing in Windows.
:D

Edit: Looks like I'm still having the minimap problem, though less frequently than before. It doesn't crash for me though, just freezes the screen, so I need to switch out of that X session and back again to get it working again.

Last edited by Waywocket on Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waywocket your fix (renicing wine-preloader) works for me with winealsa now :)
I still have some problems with hiccups tho... I wish the sound were as good as in cedega...
pharaoh
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to use keys bound to the keypad under Wine? Doesn't work for me...I think I've asked 2 or 3 times for someone else to try but I never heard anything back. Running wine-20050310.
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waywocket wrote:
Well, sorry to rub salt in to the wound, but I'd just like to report my success. I still get minor crackling on a few sounds (accepting quests is all I can think of off the top of my head), and targetting circles are drawn marginally below the ground, but other than that the game runs perfectly, for hours at a time, without noticeable slowdown compared to playing in Windows.
:D

Was that with ATI or NVidia? I think I've worked my issues out. I only ever seem to crash when inside a house or cave. And no, it's not the minimap thing, I don't think. It only happens after I've been inside for a while that I might get a crash, and sometimes I can go through caves and houses without crashing, all with the minimap open.
And renice'ing wine or wine-preloader might have reduced the crackles and pops slightly, but not much for me. Oh well, back to no sound it is.
PZoned
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with Graphical Corruption or screeching sound hiccups in wine should try running WoW in a separate X session (i like using Xgame). This solved all of my friend's wine problems...
Frozen-Solid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting into WoW if I can get it running on my linux box. Judging by my reading of this thread I shouldn't have much problem doing so under the latest wine binaries, but my current worry would be about the system requirements.

My box is a 550 mhz P3 with a GeForce4 MX440 128 MB AGP 4x/2x video card. Would this reliably run WoW without much problem? The CPU is what I'm worried about, but the better graphics card I hope would make up for that. Any ideas on this?
Septor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno, judge for yourself:

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU
* 256 MB or more of RAM
* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
* 4 GB or more of available hard drive space
* DirectX® 9.0c or above
* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection
Frozen-Solid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Septor wrote:
Dunno, judge for yourself:

Windows® System 98/ME/2000/XP OS:

* 800 MHz or higher CPU
* 256 MB or more of RAM
* 32 MB 3D graphics card with hardware transform and lighting, such as GeForce 2 or better
* 4 GB or more of available hard drive space
* DirectX® 9.0c or above
* A 56k or higher modem with an Internet connection

I know the basic specs, what I'm asking is how do those relate to running under linux and if the fact that my higher end video card than the required makes up for the 250 mhz I am lacking in CPU power. I have found that some programs run faster under Linux and some run slower, so it's always a bit of a toss up. The only requirement I don't exceed is the CPU. Also, a lot of games can be run on systems that don't meet the requirements by turning down the graphics quality and running at the lowest resolutions. More often than now the system requirements are referring to using the default settings, rather than the lowest settings.
bucknum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add me to the list of the working. Using Wineoss.drv for sound - renicing the preloader. It kills my FPS, but sound is worth it.

Had to drop the CVS for the 200503 version. Still not close to my windows version, but if I can avoid booting into windows it's all good.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frozen-Solid wrote:
-snip-I know the basic specs, what I'm asking is how do those relate to running under linux and if the fact that my higher end video card than the required makes up for the 250 mhz I am lacking in CPU power. -snip-

Just on this point. A GF4MX is basically the same chip as a GF2. The TI GF4s were much better. Honestly, I don't think it'd be playable on that machine, but you'll never know until you try. Maybe you know someone who has a guest pass you can try? That's what I'm on, seeing how it runs.

Anyway, I played some more :D Stable for ... 2-3 hours, then crashed, same as usual. I played through Darnassus and Auberdine, so I was in and out of houses, on hippogryphs and through portals, and I ran around the forest a lot. It finally died after I'd been swimming under water for 15-20 minutes .. might be related, might not?
Code:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x68f9bf0c "?" wait timed out in thread 0010, blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)
err:font:OpenFontFile FT_New_Face rets 81

That's the error that Wine gives, consistantly. Seems like the multithreading is broken. I know WoW gives some 'cannot write to memory' error, maybe it could be both threads accessing the same memory or something? I don't know much about threads, honestly.

Edit: And for the record, I've tried both alsa and oss for wine audio, and renicing the pre-loader and the actual wine executable .. no luck. Actually, renicing the preloader made it better, but it still stuttered/squeaked. Might just be a lack of grunt?
AXP2600+ 2066MHz - 512MB PC3200 - R9700Pro
Actually, just tested. Everything from 800x600 to 1280x1024 stutters much the same. 1280 looks better though :) And it runs smoothly at 1280 as well. Must just be my system doing weird things.
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I have just been giving some extensive testing to this new patch (Probably played about 43 hours since Friday night, including a marathon 32-hour endurance test that I did from Saturday 2pm to Sunday 8pm) with the wine fixes, and I must say that it's working quite flawlessly for me (not a single crash). The fps drops to somewhere around zero around large graphics effects (blowing up towers in Eastern Plaguelands, for example), but I get around that by simply not looking at them (turn the camera away).

I should mention that I have
Code:
[WinMM]
"Drivers" = ""
No sound. That means no sound-related bugs.

I'm on a P4 3.0 with hyperthreading (not overclocked), 1g ram, GeForce 5700FX. My filesystems are all reiser3, and I generally have a large number of apps running besides WoW (such as 2 separate instances of gaim, firefox with lots of tabs, mpd with 2 clients, xchat, and sylpheed-claws) and I frequently use mplayer to watch movies (on another screen) while I play WoW. There is no choppiness in said mplayer, nor any lag whatsoever in my system.

Currently my kernel is a handcrafted 2.6.11-ck2 variant, and my CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer". I recommend the same to all of you (change your CFLAGS if they're crazier than this and get on ck-sources) to maximize your playing experience.
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Darckness. Just wondering though, has anyone else gotten WoW to run without crashing using an ATI card, and ATI's binary drivers? I believe they might be causing the issues, somehow.
NobTheNoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Help plz :( Reply with quote

Hey, i tried the whole night to get wow running with wine/winx/cedega, then i saw the 1.3.0 problem and finally found this thread

But i cant manage it :(
Im using winex cvs, downloaded it yesterday, updated it an hour ago.
And im running debian sarge.

/home/rogue/winex is the sourc dir of the winex cvs (for better understanding, does the work with this?
wine | cedega | winex cvs. whe do you say cedega cvs?? im confused about the versions and dont know if i got the wrong.)

when i hit that:
Code:

cd winex
patch p1 < /home/rogue/downloads/fixwow.diff

i get this:

Code:

----------------------------------------------
| - - -  wine2/dlls/x11drv/opengl.c 2005-03-24 20:51:16.000000000  -0500
| +++ wine/dlls/x11drv/opengl.c 2005-03-24 20:50:14.000000000  -0500
-----------------------------------------------
File to patch:

i can answer whatever i want:

Code:
xxxx: No such file or directory

only when i hit "wine" i get this:

Code:
patching file wine
Hunk #1 FAILED at 268
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file wine.rej

same with:

Code:
patch p0 < /home/rogue/downloads/opengl32_fbconf_2.diff

im getting:

Code:

can't find file to patch at input line 8
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------------------------------
|Index: wgl_ext.c
|=================================================
|RCS file: /home/wine/wine/dlls/opengl32/wgl_ext.c,v      (<--- whats that? i dont have a "wine" folder in /home/)
|retrieving revision 1.4
|diff -u -r1.4 wgl_ext.c
|  - - -  wgl_ext.c   10 Mar 2005  11:13:33 -0000      1.4
| +++ wgl_ext.c  25 Mar 2005  08:09:04 -0000
---------------------------------------------------
File to patch:

i can enter wgl_ext.c but i get:
Code:
wgl_ext.c: No such file or directory

when i enter "wine" i get:

Code:

patching file wine
Hunk #1 FAILED at 31.
Hunk #2 FAILED at 134
Hunk #3 FAILED at 170.
Hunk #4 FAILED at 242.
Hunk #5 FAILED at 268.
Hunk #6 FAILED at 296.
Hunk #7 FAILED at 333.
Hunk #8 FAILED at 466.
Hunk #9 FAILED at 495.
Hunk #10 FAILED at 596.
10 out of 10 hunks FAILED - - saving rejects to file wine.rej

dont have any idea what to next :(

i dont know how to uninstall wine cvs cause i make and make install'ed it, not with dpkg or apt and if i net that.

would be very thankfull if you have some advice for me, and excause my english please :)
SKLP
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those patches are for regular wine, not winex/cedega.
NobTheNoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKLP wrote:
Those patches are for regular wine, not winex/cedega.

this means that you can run wow ONLY with regular wine as long as there is no other option to bypass the 1.3.0 crap?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: