Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
World Of Warcraft Howto/Support UPDATED 3/25/05! OLD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jengu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New version of wine out with pbuffer support! This means the minimap should work with opengl.
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm, well tried the new wine release ( just copied and edited the old ebuild ) there seem to be a few problems ( wich could all very well stem from me not being able to configure wine properly )

* When loggin in and selecting a char all buttons seem to blink all over the place ( litterly they are 2-3 times the size of the screen some times )
    * There seems to be a poly error across the screen ( every where, so I guess it the UI or something, will have to try to see if its still there if i use alt+z )
    * The entire screen is repeted upside down and scaled just behind my chat box
    * No sound :( and this message is repeated over and over in the console "err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x403d4f40"

im running it off a fat32 drive with: "cd <path to wine>; wine WoW.exe -opengl"

a few more things:
alt tabbing works suprisingly well, though some times my gnome bare in the upper section of the screen stays and pushes the game view down a little.
use shift or alt when taking screen shot ingame, or the gnome screen shot dialog will popup - not a good thing when figting mobs ;)

The visual tearing ( diagonaly across the screen ) doesn't really show up in screen shots ( a refresh rate thing then? )
But here is a screenshot of some of the other graphic anomalies ( note the squashed text above the "radar" )
http://decoder.dk/wow/wow_fuckup1.png
http://decoder.dk/wow/wow_fuckup2.png

If any one has some ideas that would be much apriciated...

Ps. I've saw the "HardwareAcc... thing posted by Darckness, but grepping for dsound only yields:
Code:
guppy@guppybox guppy $ grep -r 'dsound' .wine/drive_c/*
.wine/drive_c/windows/inf/wine.inf:11,,dsound.dll,1

So... what does this mean excatly? and where is my wine config file supposed to be? ( since it seems I migth actualy be missing that one )

Pps. and much to my supprise the game ran fullscreen :D first for me with any game & wine.
[edit]
my modified ebuild, just incase that is what is messing it up : http:/decoder.dk/wow/wine-20050310.ebuild
[/edit]
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was missing a config file... *shrug*
So i copied it over and inserted the emulate line, now I get sound - but it splutters and scratches, and the error message is still there...
Stil getting the graphic anomalies

[edit]
Alt+z removes most of the graphic corruptions.
The visual tearing apers to mostly disaper if I disable the full screen soft glow effect, It still apears somtimes inside though. I suspect that if the location thing above the mini map was removed then that at least would be solved, shadows still look a tad odd flickering in and out of existence.
The clipping of the sky box is REALLY wonky ( http://decoder.dk/wow/wow_fuckup3.png ), so avoid looking straigth up or gazing at the horizont when by the sea side ;)
Disabling ALL sound in the game via the menu still produces some perodic loud clicks.

So the verdict would be that with an uimod that removed the box arround the location name, and with master sound muted before entering the game - it is playable.

But I do want the sound working! So any one have some ideas here?

ps. the wine also locks og gives me a crash box when I exit it - in the case of wine locking ( it doesn't affect anything else ) just open a console and pkill -f 'wine' , with the crash box simply press ok. I consider this a very minor nuseance.

[/edit]
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

updated ati drivers to 8.10.19 ( wich is ~x86 ) , that was a whoping big mistake...

The menus are working properly now, I have how ever MASSIVE texture and geometry corruption :(

http://decoder.dk/wow/wow_fuckup4.png
http://decoder.dk/wow/wow_fuckup5.png

oh, well guess it's not quite time to remove that windows partition yet...
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wasn't quite ready to give up yet : so I tried a few of the cvs ebuilds in this thread - however they all end up with this error
Code:
>>> Completed installing wine-cvs-1 into /var/tmp/portage/wine-cvs-1/image/
--------------------------- ACCESS VIOLATION SUMMARY ---------------------------
LOG FILE = "/tmp/sandbox-app-emulation_-_wine-cvs-1-32110.log"

rename:    /usr/share/applications/.mimeinfo.cache.UYMFdl
unlink:    /usr/share/applications/.mimeinfo.cache.UYMFdl
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

what is that all about ?
discomfitor
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guppy: In the future, note the edit button, located on the top right of your post. Anyway, I mentioned when I posted the ebuild on the previous page that you need FEATURES="-sandbox" for it to work. ie you have to run the build like so:
Code:
FEATURES="-sandbox" emerge wine-cvs
. There are no problems with the latest wine cvs except for sound issues, but I don't use sound anyway.
I will not be posting my entire wine config. It's too large. Yours should be located at ~/.wine{-cvs}/config. If it isn't, something is screwed with your wine install. Remember that using my ebuild will setup the .wine directory at ~/.wine-cvs, not ~/.wine.
tbacav
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sucessfully got WoW installed and running tonight using a CVS version of wine (manual install, no ebuild), X.org 6.8.2-r1 and ati-drivers 8.10.19.

I get the same massive texture and geometry corruption as guppy, after fiddling for a couple of hours, all i can bring it down to is that either wine or ATI's drivers are broken.

I also experience sound corruption under alsa, and the loud clicks when sound is disabled completely.

I also get some lovely error messages on exit, but I'm not too worried about those at the moment.

Edit: Just thought I would mention, the easiest way to do a fresh installation seems to be copying the installation files on the CDs to a temporary directory that wine has access to. I ended up having to copy the files from the CDs in Windows, as Gentoo was refusing to recognise the correct sizes of the mpq files.
Cinder6
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, I got it running perfectly, then I quit. when I tried again, I only have a cursor and black behind it. what's up?

EDIT: Seems it works perfectly when I use -opengl...
Be evil.

Ugly Overload
thrstn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged the new wine ebuild (20050310) and its way better than cedega.

All i had to do to run wow was to add -opengl at the end and now I can run the game in a window with minimap on.
The only thing that is bothering me is that i cant find the config file for wine. Its not ~/.wine/config the only files there are .reg files that are a part of the fake windows regestry (i think).

If someone has a wine config file from the newest ebuild and it works with wow, it would be great if you could post it here. Most of the configs posted in this thread are to old or are for cedega.

thanks..
Cinder6
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try emergine winesetuptk
Be evil.

Ugly Overload
thanqu0l
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbacav wrote:
I have sucessfully got WoW installed and running tonight using a CVS version of wine (manual install, no ebuild), X.org 6.8.2-r1 and ati-drivers 8.10.19.

I get the same massive texture and geometry corruption as guppy, after fiddling for a couple of hours, all i can bring it down to is that either wine or ATI's drivers are broken.

I have similar expreiences. Some of the textures beeing stretched, making it impossible to see anything in some areas. in other areas there are no problems (in case I'm not outside my character)

I'm running another distro (FC3) with kernel 2.6.10.
ATI 8.10.19
xorg 6.8.1
wine 2005-03-10 (and tried cvs 2005-03-13)
I'm using same resolution in-game and desktop (1280*1024)
All gfx-effects are at minimum.

(NO sound issues though)

My card is an ASUS Extreme AX800XT/2DHTV

Dont tell me to run Cedega - exactly same issues in cedega!
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8.10.19 drivers are aparently borked, the best option for wine + wow is aparently 8.8.25. Even those aren't perfect, but the game is some what playable

[edit] the above holds true with wine 20050310 and cvs - I ended up doing a manual cvs build, and as far as I can tell there is no difference with regards to wow. [/edit]

Last edited by guppy on Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
skurk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tbacav wrote:

I also experience sound corruption under alsa, and the loud clicks when sound is disabled completely.

I also get some lovely error messages on exit, but I'm not too worried about those at the moment.

Edit: Just thought I would mention, the easiest way to do a fresh installation seems to be copying the installation files on the CDs to a temporary directory that wine has access to. I ended up having to copy the files from the CDs in Windows, as Gentoo was refusing to recognise the correct sizes of the mpq files.

Got the same problems in opengl, blackscreen in d3d mode. Using the same setup, only with cedega instead. My conclusion is that I will be dual booting until I get that Geforce 6xxx card (17fps in cedega anyway).
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrstn wrote:
I just emerged the new wine ebuild (20050310) and its way better than cedega.

All i had to do to run wow was to add -opengl at the end and now I can run the game in a window with minimap on.
The only thing that is bothering me is that i cant find the config file for wine. Its not ~/.wine/config the only files there are .reg files that are a part of the fake windows regestry (i think).

If someone has a wine config file from the newest ebuild and it works with wow, it would be great if you could post it here. Most of the configs posted in this thread are to old or are for cedega.

thanks..

just grab the one from cvs and save it as ~/.wine/config

If you uncomment the line
Code:
;"HardwareAcceleration" = "Emulation"
int the dsound section, you get rewarded with some poping and cracking sound.
---
looking over my dmesg after running the game there apears to be alot of error messages ala. "could not set sample rate 48000, reverting to default" - wich could be the source of the error, ill try to post the exact line when I get home.
xevix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out the March 10th wine cvs. Installs and patches fine, but gameplay video is garbled, albeit damned fast. Much better than with cedega, which does run, but slowly, on direct3d, and with complete sound corruption.

Latest ATI drivers, the 8.10 or something. 2.6.11-ck1. *shrugs*. I only realized that wine is running on opengl, and if I try cedega with opengl, it looks the same, all garbled graphics etc., only plays on directx.
2gb pc-3200 DDR
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xevix wrote:
Trying out the March 10th wine cvs. Installs and patches fine, but gameplay video is garbled, albeit damned fast. Much better than with cedega, which does run, but slowly, on direct3d, and with complete sound corruption.

Latest ATI drivers, the 8.10 or something. 2.6.11-ck1. *shrugs*. I only realized that wine is running on opengl, and if I try cedega with opengl, it looks the same, all garbled graphics etc., only plays on directx.

You migth get better results with the latest stable ATI drivers ( 8.8.25 ) - It does peek my interest that you can play it in DX if I omit the -opengl switch the game just crashes on me, is this with cedega? or did you do somthing special?
xevix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cedega ^^
2gb pc-3200 DDR
pjj
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dualmonitor, when I start WoW the screen will be on the left side of my monitor but the image looks like it is streshed on both (but the second monitor just displays my gnome).
Cinder6
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound is a little scratchy/poppy. Anyone know a fix for this? (cedega_4.3)
Be evil.

Ugly Overload
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone having problems with the minimap in cedega? 4.2.1 and 4.3, sometimes it'll screw up completely and lag the game VERY badly (stops for a long period, then starts again). if I do /console reloadui it fixes it.

the problem only appears when I walk inside a building, if I dont reloadui it will keep stopping and starting, but if I reloadui it will run flawlessly.
Tsumeone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: blank installer Reply with quote

[quote="thanqu0l"]
Bobrepuss wrote:

SOLUTION!

Ok, I've got some help solving the opengl32 issue!
The wine people are real great!!! And so are many of U, who has PM'ed me!

Just in case that someone else has the same issue, I'm telling U what my problem was:

I'm running an ATI card, and sometime during installation of the fglrx drivers, I had to remove the file /usr/lib/libGL.so
and the file belongs to the package:
xorg-x11-devel
reinstalling the package solved the issue!

The line:
"checking for glXCreateContext in -lGL... no"
refers to check if the devel-tools are installed (?)

And the other line:
checking for glutMainLoop in -lglut... no
refers to installing the package: freeglut-devel

Dont know if I still have some texture issues, but I'll check it out when I get home!

I get the same exact error when I try to run the game [when I compile the cvs thing with ./tools/wineinstall, there are no errors that I notice], but I have an nVidia card, that .so file is present on my system, and I've tried removing and installing that package many many times. I'm fairly a newb, but could anyone provide help on this? I don't use Gentoo but I'm sure whatever advice you provide will work on Fedora Core 3.
xevix
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As suggested I tried to downgrade my ati drivers. Well, now I've lost direct rendering, hurray!
2gb pc-3200 DDR
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little belated, here is the line from my dmesg I think may be the cause of the bad sound

Code:
Nvsound: Unable to change the Record SampleRate 96000, set back to 48000
Saa
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I run on 1280x1024 resolution. How can I get wine to open wow in a window? I got wow to open full screen but then it wouldn't accept keyboard input and I couldn't exit out of it without rebooting completely, which then fscked me over because xorg wouldn't come up instead just give me a black screan. Tried rerunning flgrxconfig again (last time this happened had to do this to fix the problem) and the issue persisted. When I first tried running WoW with wine it did open it in a window and keyboard input was fine but it was in the bottom right corner of the screen and I couldn't move it and alot of the screen was cut off.
guppy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if zapping the xserver ( ctrl+alt+backspace ) didn't work then the program somhow hardlocked the input driver, I don't think running in windowed mode would have helped you any in that case.

at any rate just add
Code:
-windowed
to the startup parameters and that should get you windowed mode.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: