Repartitioning?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Repartitioning? Reply with quote

I got an old beige G3 box on which I would like to install gentoo. My understanting is that this thing requires bootX to boot, so I suppose I'll need a macos install on here as well. My problem: I have no macos cd, and it seems that in order to use apple's partition program, I'll need to wipe the hard drive. With no cd, I'll have no way of setting up the necessary macos install for bootx. Is there any way to safely repartition the drive without killing macos?

Andy
bahkyp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you intending to install gentoo? If you have a burner for the livecd/install ISO try making a .raw image for the system folder and see if that boots (Apple-Ctrl-Shift-Delete-C with .raw CD in drive(that is one ugly startup key combo))

If you have a Zip drive try getting the system folder and the repartition program on a Zip disk.

You could also try "quik" bootloader, (Unsupported and buggy, but reported to work) or "mkLinux" (don't know if it works on a G3). These don't need a MacOS partition. edit, mklinux should be miBoot

There is no way to partition without killing MacOS.

The system folder only needs the finder and system files (system 8.0 min) with the system fonts. That and a few kernels and you should come in under 20 meg.

Remember HFS (HFS standard) if you ever want to upgrade the kernel. (As HFS+ support is buggy).

PS. I use BootX

Last edited by bahkyp on Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:48 am; edited 1 time in total
celloandy
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

I briefly looked into quik, but documentation was poor, and it looked like kind of a dead project. However, I have managed to find a macOs 9.1 cd, so I guess the problem is solved. Thanks anyway.

Andrew
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: