View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: nVidia stopped working out of the blue Reply with quote

Last night, my 3D was working fine. I ran an emerge to update my system, but I dont recall it updating anything pertaining to nvidia. Today I restarted X and now X will not load unless I disable the GLX extension (signal 11). I recompiled the nvidia kernel module and GLX driver to no avail. I even recompiled X.org. Finally, I took apart my box to see if there was possibly something wrong with the card. I didn't see anything wrong with it so I put new thermal paste on and reinstalled it. I have 7174 drivers.

Please help :)
exohuman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: I have the same problem Reply with quote

Same for me. I updated the system and now today, nvidia drivers do not work. I emerged nvidia-kernel again and nvidia-glx and even updated the kernel all to no avail. I am getting frustrated with not having the hardware acceleration I had two days ago. Anyone have any cluse as to what is causing this?
kmare
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's because you have upgraded to glibc 2.3.5.. some ppl reported segfaults with it unless they disable the glx module... of course without it opengl won't work...
just wait for a patch to glibc... I think that it is fixed upstream.. not sure though
nilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright. cool.
scruff
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downgraded glibc. Worked like a charm :)

Add this line to /etc/portage/package.mask:

Code:

=sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5

then do:
Code:

emerge glibc

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+ @ oc'd to 2.3ghz
DFI Lanparty UltraD nForce4 SLI
2x1gb Geil PC4000
GeForce 7800GT
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
200gb Maxtor DiamondMax 10
74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem. Just for fun I downloaded the binary installer from Nvidia's web site and installed it instead of using Portage. Everything seems to work fine now.
nilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never ever downgrade glibc. I tried it today and almost killed my system.
thagame
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having the same problem. startx and startxfce4 just give me a black screen with not even a mouse cursor. if i comment out Load glx then it loads fine but apps like blender wont load.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the glibc upgrade a couple of nights back, and I use nvidia (_never_ the installer though, _always_ the ebuilds), and no worries here.

One thing I did do was to re-emerge binutils after the glibc upgrade. I also rebuilt my toolchain after that but I'm pretty sure I rebooted before I did that and nvidia worked OK.
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
I got the glibc upgrade a couple of nights back, and I use nvidia (_never_ the installer though, _always_ the ebuilds), and no worries here.

One thing I did do was to re-emerge binutils after the glibc upgrade. I also rebuilt my toolchain after that but I'm pretty sure I rebooted before I did that and nvidia worked OK.

Are you loading the glx driver? The Nvidia driver works fine, the problem people are having seems to occur when loading nvidia-glx.

-Roark
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarkh wrote:
agent_jdh wrote:

Are you loading the glx driver? The Nvidia driver works fine, the problem people are having seems to occur when loading nvidia-glx.

-Roark

What do you mean, nvidia driver or nvidia-glx? The X driver provided by the nvidia-glx ebuild is called 'nvidia' - glx is just an X server module that you need to load to get glx to work. The default X driver for nvidia cards that comes with e.g. xorg is called 'nv'.

I'm talking about the 'nvidia' driver as provided by the nvidia-glx ebuild. I've used that driver ever since I got an nvidia card.
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agent_jdh wrote:
What do you mean, nvidia driver or nvidia-glx? The X driver provided by the nvidia-glx ebuild is called 'nvidia' - glx is just an X server module that you need to load to get glx to work. The default X driver for nvidia cards that comes with e.g. xorg is called 'nv'.

I'm talking about the 'nvidia' driver as provided by the nvidia-glx ebuild. I've used that driver ever since I got an nvidia card.

The way I understand it the nvidia driver is provided by nvidia-kernel and the nvidia glx module is provided by nvidia-glx. I'm just asking if you have uncommented the 'glx' option in your xorg.conf file to load the glx driver. The nvidia-kernel driver worked fine for me after updating glibc as long as the glx module was not being loaded. The only way I was able to get it to work with nvidia's glx module was to use the binary installer off of nVidia's web site. I don't seem to be the only one who is experiencing this. It was a couple of days ago that I did this so something may have been fixed since then.

-Roark
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarkh wrote:
agent_jdh wrote:

The way I understand it the nvidia driver is provided by nvidia-kernel and the nvidia glx module is provided by nvidia-glx. I'm just asking if you have uncommented the 'glx' option in your xorg.conf file to load the glx driver. The nvidia-kernel driver worked fine for me after updating glibc as long as the glx module was not being loaded. The only way I was able to get it to work with nvidia's glx module was to use the binary installer off of nVidia's web site. I don't seem to be the only one who is experiencing this. It was a couple of days ago that I did this so something may have been fixed since then.

-Roark

No. The nvidia kernel module (which is called nvidia), is provided by the nvidia-kernel ebuild. The nvidia glx X driver (which is also called nvidia), is provided by the nvidia-glx ebuild. The glx extension is provided by the X vendor e.g. xorg.

Anyway, semantics aside, no, I did not have to comment out glx - X just stayed working, using both nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx here.

My original point though remains - if glibc is updated, you should definitely re-emerge binutils (like I did). This is minimum standard practise after a glibc update. I did that, and didn't have this problem with glx. I'm not saying it's 100% guaranteed to fix it, and I also subsequently rebuilt the rest of my tool chain (see https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-282474-highlight-.html for more info), as linux-headers had been updated (again, after a linux-headers update, you should update glibc, and then binutils).
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll give that a try when I have some spare time.

Thanks

-Roark
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarkh wrote:
OK, I'll give that a try when I have some spare time.

Thanks

-Roark

I'd also advise you to uninstall the nvidia drivers using the nvidia installer and go back to using the ebuilds (assuming you can get them working again). Hopefully you can avoid the weeks' worth of banging-my-head-off-a-wall trying to work out what had broken gl apps before having to manually scour my filesystem and delete all the things the nvidia installer had littered about the place (it isn't - or wasn't, maybe that's changed - terribly well aware of Gentoo's X installation system like the opengl-config method).
thagame
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg.conf by default comments out Load glx. if you dont uncomment it you have glx installed but its not being used. thats what he is trying to tell you. not asking for an explanation of what each file does. we are saying if you look on xorg.conf does it say # Load glx or just Load glx.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thagame wrote:
xorg.conf by default comments out Load glx. if you dont uncomment it you have glx installed but its not being used. thats what he is trying to tell you. not asking for an explanation of what each file does. we are saying if you look on xorg.conf does it say # Load glx or just Load glx.

I know. I've already answered that though. I was trying to point out a possible fix for the original poster, and trying to clear up some confusion with another poster re driver semantics.
roarkh
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent_jdh,

Well I made an attempt to follow your advice, I went ahead and reemerged binutils, then I took a look at the link you referenced regarding rebuilding the toolchain and downloaded the emwrap.sh script. After checking out the documentation for that I issued the following command to update my toolchain (maybe I misunderstood something in the docs).

Code:
sh emwrap.sh -set

This seemed to do its job taking about 3 hours or so to complete.

I then used the Nvidia binary installer to uninstall the kernel and glx drivers and proceeded to...

Code:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

The problem still is there for me, typing startx results in a hard crash and garbled video.

Again, using Nvidia's installer to reinstall brought my system back to life.

Do you have any other ideas? Did I misunderstand just how to use the emwrap script?

I appreciate your help, the link to the thread about updating my toolchain was very helpful.

Thanks again.

-Roark
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as glibc goes, I use the ~arch version and have yet to have any problems with it. Try that if you want to upgrade instead of downgrade. Cheers.
Uppi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pwnz3r wrote:
As far as glibc goes, I use the ~arch version and have yet to have any problems with it. Try that if you want to upgrade instead of downgrade. Cheers.

The current ~x86 version is 2.3.5 and thats the one making problems.

I have the same problem and remerging binutils and nvidia-kernel and -glx didn't help either...
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roarkh wrote:
Agent_jdh,

Well I made an attempt to follow your advice, I went ahead and reemerged binutils, then I took a look at the link you referenced regarding rebuilding the toolchain and downloaded the emwrap.sh script. After checking out the documentation for that I issued the following command to update my toolchain (maybe I misunderstood something in the docs).

Code:
sh emwrap.sh -set

This seemed to do its job taking about 3 hours or so to complete.

I then used the Nvidia binary installer to uninstall the kernel and glx drivers and proceeded to...

Code:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx

The problem still is there for me, typing startx results in a hard crash and garbled video.

Again, using Nvidia's installer to reinstall brought my system back to life.

Do you have any other ideas? Did I misunderstand just how to use the emwrap script?

I appreciate your help, the link to the thread about updating my toolchain was very helpful.

Thanks again.

-Roark

I actually use the tcupdate.sh script from that link instead. There is some discussion on the 5th page about exactly what needs to get done when you upgrade either gcc or glibc, the scripts at the start of that thread did seem like overkill to me.

Incidentally, I noticed a new nvidia-glx ebuild (r2) in portage - which from the ChangeLog, looks like it fixes this bug https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=90047, which looks suspiciously like it might be what the problem is here.

Which means the reason I didn't see it is that I use the nptlonly USE flag, so linuxthreads glibc doesn't get built.

I'd re-sync and get nvidia-glx updated to nvidia-glx-1.0.7174-r2, and see if that fixes this problem.
Uppi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -r2 ebuild of nvidia-glx didn't fix the problem

I guess its time to try out nptl...
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uppi wrote:
The -r2 ebuild of nvidia-glx didn't fix the problem

I guess its time to try out nptl...

If that didn't fix the problem it might not be ntpl/linuxthreads.

If you want to force ntpl you need both 'ntpl' and 'ntplonly' USE flags. It does speed up glibc compile, as linuxthreads glibc doesn't get built.
gemini91
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The -r2 ebuild of nvidia-glx plus nptl as in the bug report did not solve the problem
for me. It looks like if I want glx I need to downgrade glibc.
Uppi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gemini91 wrote:
The -r2 ebuild of nvidia-glx plus nptl as in the bug report did not solve the problem
for me. It looks like if I want glx I need to downgrade glibc.

I recompiled glibc with ntpl and nptlonly and then emerged the -r2 ebuild and glx works again.

Did you remerge nvidia-glx after you merged glibc with nptl?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: