Sucess at last
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Algenon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:56 pm    Post subject: Sucess at last Reply with quote

I have successfully installed a Gentoo system on my AMD64 after a trial run on an Athlon-XP based system and ported everything from my old Redhat Fedora Core 3 (bye bye). The system is running fantastic; I can even get Cinelerra-cvs to run ok. Having got a good system, I want to keep it and I am seeking advice on the following. Should I:

1. Install RAID 1 (I have two spare 120GB disks) and use a good backup tool,
2. Clone a disk (using something like Novastore- I have used this in the past and is excellent, except that the disk is only as up to date as the last clone and it takes a long time),
3. Adopt a good back-up tool only- any suggestions?

Is it possible to convert a working non-RAID system into a RAIDed system without too much fuss?

Regards,

Algenon.
biznatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on how much money or time you want to waste. A RIAD I + Backup would cost more, but would save time in the event of disk failure. If you don't have a RAID card, you would have to use software RAID (emerge raidtools).

Backup only assumes you have lost of time to reinstall the system (unless you image the entire drive) and then restore data and settings from backup.

Check out this link for more info on software RAID: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html
Algenon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biznatch,

Thanks for the reply. I have read the howto for using the Linux software raid and it looks straightforward, as long it works ok! I was wondering if it was worth the trouble, I have all the hardware I need, so there would be no extra expense. I also have disk imaging software which I have used in the past and works well (but is slow). If anyone has any advice if RAID 1 is worth the effort, then I'll do it. I am always a bit sceptical though of software RAIDs.

Alan.
biznatch
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardware RAID has saved my azz a few times. Hope this info helps.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: