Errors in my reiserfs filesystem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jcb_dk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Errors in my reiserfs filesystem Reply with quote

Hey,

I just scanned my partition as following:

Code:
#> reiserfsck --check --fix-fixable /dev/sda1
reiserfsck 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)

** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and  it fails **
** please  email bug reports to reiserfs-list@namesys.com, **
** providing  as  much  information  as  possible --  your **
** hardware,  kernel,  patches,  settings,  all reiserfsck **
** messages  (including version),  the reiserfsck logfile, **
** check  the  syslog file  for  any  related information. **
** If you would like advice on using this program, support **
** is available  for $25 at  www.namesys.com/support.html. **

Will check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/sda1
and will fix what can be fixed without --rebuild-tree
Will put log info to 'stdout'

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you do):Yes
###########
reiserfsck --fix-fixable started at Tue Apr 19 15:26:24 2005
###########
Replaying journal..
Reiserfs journal '/dev/sda1' in blocks [18..8211]: 0 transactions replayed
Checking internal tree../  1 (of   7)/ 14 (of 139)/ 16 (of  96)bad_leaf: block 98287290, items 2 and 3: The wrong order of items: [3 8 0x1 DIR (3)], [3 12 0x1 IND (1)]
/  2 (of   7)/ 59 (of 147)/ 24 (of  95)bad_leaf: block 10966737, items 2 and 3: The wrong order of items: [231 25048 0x1 DRCT (2)], [232 233 0x1 IND (1)]
/  4 (of   7)/ 26 (of 164)/ 45 (of 139)bad_leaf: block 48120996, items 2 and 3: The wrong order of items: [1912 1915 0x1 IND (1)], [1926 1928 0x1 IND (1)]
finished
Comparing bitmaps..finished
Fatal corruptions were found, Semantic pass skipped
3 found corruptions can be fixed only when running with --rebuild-tree
###########
reiserfsck finished at Tue Apr 19 15:37:28 2005
###########

So i checked 'man reiserfsck' about --rebuild-tree and it says:

Quote:
--rebuild-tree
This option rebuilds the entire filesystem tree using leaf nodes found on the device. Normally you only need this option if
the reiserfsck --check reports "Running with --rebuild-tree is required". You are strongly encouraged to make a backup copy
of the whole partition before attempting the --rebuild-tree option. Once reiserfsck --rebuild-tree is started it must finish
its work (and you should not interrupt it), otherwise the filesystem will be left in the unmountable state to avoid subse-
quent data corruptions.

The problem is that its not possible for me to make a backup of the partition, so im now afraid of running reiserfsck with --rebuild-tree.

So i would really appriciate any idea or experience that you guys can offer!

/jcb
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can safely (almost!) use --rebuild-tree. I did it a few times on my HD and once on a friend's system (from remote). I succeeded each time. Just don't stop it in the middle.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
jcb_dk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thats very nice to know!

Its not that i dont appriciate your answer, but i would really like to know what is wrong with my partition and why (not) it would be safe to run reiserfsck with --rebuild-three. Im sorry that i didnt make that clear in the previous message.

/jcb
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's for the same reason you shouldn't run ScanDisk in Windows without backing it up...somehow. Because it changes your disk in an not-so-easy-to-predict way.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer you first concern, "what is wrong with my HD?" I will tell you my stories and you'll draw the conclusions :)
My friend was using Windows and wanted to try linux. He installed Mandrake on a spare partition. Later he decided he would like to have a bigger partition under linux, so he used the Partition Manager (don't know exactly it's name in Mandrake) to erase a NTFS partition and extend a reiser one. He ignored a warning message, I forgot what it says, but when I heard the story it was obvious (doh!) he had to unmount the NTFS partiton (which he didn't). He continued extending the reiserfs partition (also unmounted!) and after a reboot he couldn't acces it anymore! reiserfsck --rebuild-tree did the trick :)
When my computer broked, it was a strange file in portage I couldn't delete. The same command sanitized my system and made it usable again.
As I gave you more input than you did, could you please answer your question (but applied to my case)?
jcb_dk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As I gave you more input than you did, could you please answer your question (but applied to my case)?

sorry, but i dont understand what you mean?
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me explain. You said you checked your partition and reiserfsck --fix-fixable recommends you to run reiserfsck --rebuild-tree. You said you're afraid and asked to share our prior experiences (which I did). Then you asked why this happened... This is where I got really baffled! You told me nothing but expected an answer. Instead, I gave you my story and asked you to tell me what was wrong in my cases. At least I told you some info (which you failed to provide)...
So, in short: No, I have no idea why this happened to you.
jcb_dk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, sorry about that again. I didnt want to offend you.
Cosmin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No pb ;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: