Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo install on Fedora Core 1 (bad idea, major problems)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gennoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Gentoo install on Fedora Core 1 (bad idea, major problems) Reply with quote

Just got a dedicated server from a hosting company that is running Fedora Core 1. I am reasonably familiar with Gentoo (using it on my own machines for a year or two), and wanted it on a dedicated machine. The hosting company didn't have any objections to me installing Gentoo on top of it remotely, but they wouldn't support it. I followed the guide here which is only slightly out of date. Things were going well until this step:

Quote:
* Switch from RedHat's system libraries to Gentoo's. Run: ``cd /lib && rm -rf i686 && /sbin/ldconfig''.

By this point, you will be completely off of RedHat's system binaries and libraries and on Gentoo's. Now we must install some basic system components before we reboot and clean up.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case. Immediately I was unable to run any binary that is dynamically linked to libc (so pretty much everything).

Quote:
# ls
ls: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference

At this point the only thing that still works is `ldconfig`, the last command I ran before everything broke. I'm assuming this is statically linked so that's why it works. I've looked up the relocation error on the Gentoo forums and on Google, and every solution involves touch'ing some file, or making a symlink, or removing a file or directory. Unfortunately I don't have statically linked binaries of those utilities and am pretty much unable to do anything.

So, my question, is there some magic I can do with ldconfig (or another statically linked binary on the system)? Worst case scenario is my connection drops and I can't reconnect (SSH won't run anymore), and I have to have them re-initialize the box with FC1 (boooo), best case scenario is finding a way to revive the machine. When I installed I saw two 2.4 kernels on the machine, one was labelled nptl and one was not. I'm wondering if this is a NPTL-related issue? Any englightenment would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to talk them into booting a LiveCD for me but I'm not real optimistic that they'll do that for me.

Grateful in advance,

Brad
gennoob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Update on the situation Reply with quote

Great news! I found the existance of `sln` so that I could symlink the proper libraries into the place of the broken ones. Since it is statically linked it will actually run.
Quote:
# ls
ls: relocation error: /lib/tls/libc.so.6: symbol _dl_starting_up, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file ld-linux.so.2 with link time reference
# sln /lib/libc-2.3.4.so /lib/tls/libc.so.6
# ls
ls: relocation error: /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0: symbol errno, version GLIBC_PRIVATE not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference
# sln /lib/libpthread-0.10.so /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0

And on and on until things started working again. Now, my question is... how do I make it stop using the libraries in /lib/tls? It appears that I have 2.3.2 libraries in /lib/tls, that don't work and are the ones ldconfig chooses to use. I also have 2.3.2 libraries in /lib that are broke, and I have 2.3.4 libraries in /lib that actually work. It looks like the 2.3.4 libraries are from Gentoo and the 2.3.2 libraries are from FC1.

At this point... should I remove /lib/tls? Will ldconfig then work properly and use the right libraries? Should I symlink /lib/tls to /lib or is that asking for trouble? I'm not entirely sure how the libraries are supposed to be configured.

Brad
spuniun
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem, and firstly, I'd like to thank you for pointing me out to the static sln as it saved my RH -> Gentoo conversion.
Secondly, I took the risk and removed /lib/tls and ran ldconfig again and it fixed all the linking problems
Code:
# rm -rf /lib/tls
# ldconfig
# ldd /bin/ls
        librt.so.1 => /lib/librt.so.1 (0x0034c000)
        libncurses.so.5 => /lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x006ac000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x00111000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0x002bd000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x00da5000)
        libgpm.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgpm.so.1 (0x00a3d000)
All better.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: