amd64 cant find my sis sata
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
now.here
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: amd64 cant find my sis sata Reply with quote

I have the Athlon64 2800+ processor on this forums..Asus K8s-MX motherboard.
I have a Samsung sata 160 Gb hdd and a samsung cd rom.

I am trying to install using the gentoo amd64 universal 2004.3-r1 live cd.

When I boot without passing any parameters, gentoo finds no hard drive.

'gentoo noapic doataraid' gives the same result- no hard drive detected.

'gentoo noapic doscsi' hangs up while trying to load sata_sil module.

Booting with 'gentoo noapic', I did
#modprobe sata_sil

No error messages and no /dev/sda* still... Help, anyone?
[/url]
Rusty1973
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: sata module Reply with quote

Hi

I guess you need to load another module for the SIS Controller.
I had some trouble with SATA also.

Here is, what i did to find the right modul:

Download the x86 (Pentium etc) Minimal Live CD
Burn it to CD
Boot the system from this.

do a lsmod to see which modules are loaded.

The AMD64 Live does not load sata modules automaticly!!!!!

The sata_sil Module is only for Silicon Image Controllers like the 3114 or the 3112.

hope that helps

Some years ago it was "FREE KEVIN"
Today it is "FREE THE DESKTOP"
now.here
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me for asking you this, but I just want to be sure. You want me to download the install-x86-universal-2004.3-r1.iso , right? I have a very slow internet connection here and the target pc is networkless so I would rather go for the universal if it may help. I hope this does fix it, because its gonna be another 2 days of downloading before wget shows me the green flag... :roll:

And thanks!
Apewall
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Stage1 cd should have the modules on it so you shouldn't have to download the stage3.
do the
Code:
lsmod
and then look for your SIS controller.

I'm using a SATA aswell, promise controller sata_promise on the modprobe.
Rusty1973
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:59 pm    Post subject: LiveCD Reply with quote

Yes of course the minimal x86 should do it as well !

cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: sata module Reply with quote

Rusty1973 wrote:
Download the x86 (Pentium etc) Minimal Live CD

Keep in mind, booting from the x86 LiveCD will only allow installing a 32bit version of Gentoo. Booting from the amd64 LiveCD is required in order to do a 64bit installation.
Rusty1973
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Live CD Reply with quote

Yes of Course!
But booting from the LiveCD should help to find the right modules for the AMD64 install, because the AMD Live CD is not loading fancy modules like sata or nic modules.

The way i did it is:

boot form the x86 Live CD , do lsmod and wirte down the modules, they are loaded.
Reboot on the AMD64 CD and load the modules like:

modprobe sata_sil
modprobe crc32
modprobe r8169

This modules i had to load to start my install successfull.

I had some other problems after the first reboot, because grub wasn't finding my root partition (/dev/sda3) but after emerging coldplug it worked just fine !

The AMD64 Live CD isn't that smart as the x86 one is and won't find all of youre hardware, so booting from the x86 LiveCD helps on this.

obsidian sphere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: sata on ASUS K8S-MX Reply with quote

I just got this working on a K8S-MX. I haven't installed Gentoo to the SATA disk yet because I can't get the onboard NIC working and don't have a separate card handy.

You're going to need an IDE drive (I'm using a 2.2G Western Digital Caviar, but anything with at least 1.5G should do), the 2004.3 universal CD and either a NIC that is supported under linux or a USB mass storage device.

Install the IDE drive into your K8S-MX system and install stage3 and the portage snapshot onto the IDE disk. Don't worry too much about the partitioning - this is temporary. Enter the chroot and do all of the regular set-up except for the kernel and grub.

Download linux-2.6.10.tar.gz. Go to http://www.sis.com/download. Click "Chipset software" -> "SATA & RAID" -> "Linux" and download the "SiS RAID Driver for Linux (kernel2.6.10)". The one for 2.6.9 didn't work for me. I used a USD HD and sneakernet to get these onto the drive, but a working NIC would make life simpler.

Untar the 2.6.10 kernel to the regular place (/usr/src), configure it as normal for a gentoo system except add some of the SATA drivers under "SCSI low-level drivers" as modules - I picked the SiS one for the fun of it - they're only place holders so the correct directories get created under /lib/modules/2.6.10/kernel/drivers. I didn't bother with using portage or any patches because this is temporary and 2.6.10 isn't in the CD's portage snapshot. Install kernel and modules as usual.

Install and configure grub. This and many other useful tarballs are in /mnt/cdrom/distfiles. Install anything you think will be necesary - the filesystem utilities for your favorite filesystem will be necesary. You'll have to copy them to /mnt/gentoo/usr/portage/disttfiles first.

Reboot to the IDE drive. This is now your install environment. Untar sis18x_2.6.10_1.00.00.tgz (the thing you downloaded from the SiS website). cd into the created directory, "make", "make install" and "insmod sis_sata.ko" - "modprobe sis_sata" will work after the depmod stuff is set-up. Your SATA drive is now visible to the system as sdX, probably sda.

Install Gentoo as normal to the SATA disk. Currently (March 19, 2005), you'll have to use a 2.6.10 kernel and create an initrd with the sata_sis.ko module in order to boot off of the SATA disk. This I haven't done yet, but this place http://www.linux-universe.com/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/create_initrd.html seems like a good place to start.

Alternatively, you can use a small IDE drive for / and put everything else on the SATA drive.

Craig
Deathwing00
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: sata on ASUS K8S-MX Reply with quote

obsidian sphere wrote:
Install Gentoo as normal to the SATA disk. Currently (March 19, 2005), you'll have to use a 2.6.10 kernel and create an initrd with the sata_sis.ko module in order to boot off of the SATA disk.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just use a newer kernel that already includes the sata_sis driver, and then compile it in so you can boot without using an initrd ?
obsidian sphere
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: sata on ASUS K8S-MX Reply with quote

cyrillic wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to just use a newer kernel that already includes the sata_sis driver, and then compile it in so you can boot without using an initrd ?

It would if there was a newer kernel that already includes a sata_sis driver that supports the SiS 965L. There isn't.
However, my initrd plan didn't work for me. Maybe if I knew more about creating an initrd. Actually, the problem seemed to be on the kernel end. The machine would freeze as soon as a kernel with initrd compiled in was selected from the grub menu.

What eventually worked was this:http://bugme.osdl.org/show_bug.cgi?id=4192. It's a patch for the sata_sis driver in 2.6.10. Works like a charm, at least with that kernel. I tried to apply it to 2.6.11 and half of the hunks failed. Maybe I'll see if I can hack it in later. Now I have to get my MythTV box up and running.
mico.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:33 pm    Post subject: Finally works! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

after some fiddling I got that driver from sis pages working, just boot the 2005.0 CD, rmmod original sata_sis.ko and insmod this one http://www.pobox.sk/~mico/download/sata_sis.ko or grab a patch from http://www.pobox.sk/~mico/howtos.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: