View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: [solved] system hangs while moving window + slow playback Reply with quote

Hi everybody,

due to a headcrash I had to reinstall gentoo. At the moment I use:

gentoo-sources-2.6.11-r6
xorg-6.8.2-r1
fluxbox-0.9.12-r1

OK now THE PROBLEM:

When I click-and-hold a window to move it the whole system hangs. gkrellm2 stops refreshing immediatelly and so does xmms. After about 2s when the buffer of xmms is empty it also stops to play music. As soon as I release the mouse button everything continues normally. I also notices that when I swith back from a tty to X (CTRL+ALT+F7) the music stops for about 1s too.

I am pretty sure that this didnt happen with my last gentoo installation.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this?

EDIT: Now I started an emerge and I notice that xmms stotters from time to time. Altough emerge runs with root privileges I dont think this should happen.

EDIT2: The same with mplayer. The video plays to slow and stotters pretty often. When I jump forward the video needs about 5s to start playing again. :(

Last edited by Sujao on Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Hayl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's normal and will go away if your window manager supports non-wireframe window resizing/moving. it is some sort of limitation in the way X handles the moving of windows in wire-fram mode.
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how come I didnt have this problem with my previous installation?
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sounds like it might be an iffy bit of CPU/IO scheduling to me....you using composite or eye candy things that use a lot of CPU? Try running top and seeing what processes are taking all the CPU/IO time. If it looks fine then try some different IO schedulers...I think the gentoo kernel comes with different schedulers anyway (don't use it myself)....add elevator=cfq to your kernel boot options to see if that makes any difference. Other than that, you could try a different CPU scheduler but that'll involve a different kernel patchset. I'm a ck man myself, staircase is in my experience much nicer for desktop than the mainline scheduler.

Cheers,
James
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have any eye candy at all since its a base fluxbox. I dont even configured a theme or background image. Beside cc1 there is nothing CPU consuming. I think there is something wrong in my configuration maybe with the kernel. I just put in a CD and while the drive was opening and then closing the music stottered again. After this I am pretty sure that something is messed up. :(

As soon as emerging as complete I will try that elevator option. What exactly does a CPU scheduler do?

EDIT: @c0bblers: I tried that elevator options and it makes no difference.
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I solved the FIRST problem with the freeze of xmms while moving a window while playing around with fluxbox settings. In order to avoid this you need to Active Opaque Windows Moving (fluxbox menu-->configure-->opaque window moving). Now knowing how to solve it I searched for this option and found that I am not the first one with this problem. Actually I remembered that I had this problem already about 6months ago when I installed fluxbox for the first time.

Here is the explanation:
Quote:
Why does my application (e.g. xmms, mplayer) pause when I move a window?

This behaviour is not a bug. It occurs because of the nature of outline window moving.

Long version:
Outline moving works by drawing a rectangle of inverted pixels around a window. When you move the mouse, the old rectange is erased (by inverting the pixels again) and a new one drawn. Fluxbox grabs the display to freeze all the applications display windows. If it doesn't to this, then window changes can occur which change bits of the rectangles, ultimately leaving sections of rectangle randomly around the screen.

All window managers that offer outline moving need to enforce the same rule so that the display doesn't become messy with rectange fragments during or after the move operation. If you find one that doesn't let us know :)

The author believes that applications such as xmms whose primary function is not graphical ought to be able to continue to operate without the display updating (mplayer has a good excuse to pause). However, this behaviour is not under the control of the Fluxbox developers - you should talk to XMMS people to see if they can make it continue playing even without display updates (though I imagine this may also be a difficult problem).

Here are some threads with the same discussion:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-301045-highlight-opaque+fluxbox.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-32292-highlight-opaque+fluxbox.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-108823-highlight-opaque+fluxbox.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-292479-highlight-opaque+fluxbox.html

STILL, I DONT KNOW WHY MPLAYER IS SOO SLOW! :(
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sujao wrote:

STILL, I DONT KNOW WHY MPLAYER IS SOO SLOW! :(

Slow at everything or slow at specfic things like DVDs? If DVDs check you have DMA turned on for your DVD drive, if everything check what output driver you're using for mplayer. You'll probably want to be using xv if your GFX card can support it.

Cheers,
James
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's slow at everything. I have been watching lots of videos so I know how fast they are played back normally and how much recources mplayer takes. Its definatelly to slow. I also compiled with all CPU flags (3dnow 3dnowext, mmx, mmxext) and it didnt help. I also played them with "-nosound" and it was still slow so its not due to the sound. It DOES use xv, too.

More ideas? :?
Sujao
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOH! :D

I got it! It was really a DMA issue. But not with the CD-Drive but with the harddrive. As I didnt have this problem with hardrives I also didnt check this before. They were running without DMA and when I tried to activate it it gave me an error. I searched for it in the forums and found out that I compiled the wrong module for the IDE controller of my motherboard. After fixing this everything runs fine.

Thx for mentioning it.

off topic: english grammar: Which tense do I have to use If something didnt occure to this very moment and then for the first time. I cant use past perfect, can I? Would it be simple past then? The point is if I can say "I havent had this problem yet!" Afaik I can only say this if this never happened before, but it DID happen once. So then "I hadn't had this problem before"?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: