Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
jholz7 wrote:
I'm a bit confused here. So you're saying Gentoo has been lying about the things it's going to do or not do? How are we supposed to know what is "substantiated" vs. "unsubstantiated"? Or is this just some internal disagreement?

Gentoo didn't say anything. Pvdabeel said it, and Gentoo Weekly News (who are an unofficial news publication who do not necessarily follow the official Gentoo view on things) published it. Officially, we have no stance on OpenSlowaris and we have no plans to port things to it.

Trust me everyone should be happy Gentoo news is an unofficial publication. It is better for the news not to come straight from the horses...in this case the cows mouth.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
Trust me everyone should be happy Gentoo news is an unofficial publication. It is better for the news not to come straight from the horses...in this case the cows mouth.

Problem is, their journalistic integrity is often somewhat lacking...
gentoo_lan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
gentoo_lan wrote:

Problem is, their journalistic integrity is often somewhat lacking...

Sadly enough the only other way to get news is from Planet Gentoo straight from developers blogs. If the developers directly contradict what Gentoo news says then perhaps people would catch them on it and some type of correction could be run. However I'm pretty sure developers don't have time to contradict inconsistancies made by Gentoo news.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Lokheed wrote:
We should have a contest for a new mascott...Linux seriously lacks aesthetic appeal. Its an uphill fight with the majority of people just not caring about their pixel placement.

We have functionality.

Who said you didnt? Besides there is no law written in stone that says you cant function just as well as you look.
rhill
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo_lan wrote:
Sadly enough the only other way to get news is from Planet Gentoo straight from developers blogs.

Which brings us right back around to the original question. Does Gentoo need a face? Or maybe, does Gentoo need a voice?

(either way I think it should have mandibles.)
wolfger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo's face is Larry.
Gentoo's voice is every happy user out there spreading the word.
Gentoo does, however, lack mandibles at the moment....
:D
groovin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nominate Carmen Electra... in our dreams of course....
nadir-san
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate 'miyu'

/me points to avatar
Fat Bastard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think Gentoo needs a "face" based on past experiences. D. Robbins used to be the "face" of Gentoo, and he turned out to be a Mac Mini spammer.
Cintra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo already has face..
http://www.funroll-loops.org/
mvh
;-)
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ciaranm should be the public face of Gentoo
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:

If you look to the non-gentoo users out there and their reasons I believe you'll find that there's probably a lot of them that already find him to be the public face of gentoo. :( I don't know what happened within the debian project as it matured but I have a lot of people telling me gentoo is heading that direction more and more every day.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
cokehabit wrote:
If you look to the non-gentoo users out there and their reasons I believe you'll find that there's probably a lot of them that already find him to be the public face of gentoo. :( I don't know what happened within the debian project as it matured but I have a lot of people telling me gentoo is heading that direction more and more every day.
Erm..... no. I dont think dmwaters will ever let Ciaranm be the public face of gentoo.

But i have no problem with people thinking he is Gentoo's public face because i see him as a kind of a radical, if more people were like him i dont know whether things would be better but they would certainly be more interesting. I certainly back up his idea on "show me the code or shut up". Since when was Gentoo a "hot air" distro? Meta or not, talk about things when they are in place
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ha ha ha ha. No, see, I do development. You know, the thing that keeps the tree, which is our main asset, alive. None of this silly political nonsense for me.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
But i have no problem with people thinking he is Gentoo's public face because i see him as a kind of a radical, if more people were like him i dont know whether things would be better but they would certainly be more interesting. I certainly back up his idea on "show me the code or shut up". Since when was Gentoo a "hot air" distro? Meta or not, talk about things when they are in place

Show me the code is great but when your attitude makes you think you are trying to be a god and you refuse to USE the code and instead claim it's just wrong, broken, and doesn't meet your self imposed standards you just end up looking like a horses ass. So no we don't need that as ANY public face of gentoo but obviously this isn't keeping it from happening now is it?
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
Show me the code is great but when your attitude makes you think you are trying to be a god and you refuse to USE the code and instead claim it's just wrong, broken, and doesn't meet your self imposed standards you just end up looking like a horses ass. So no we don't need that as ANY public face of gentoo but obviously this isn't keeping it from happening now is it?

Would you rather we committed any old crap to the tree? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of whining we get right now whenever something breaks -- then imagine what would happen if we dropped our QA standards even further.
firephoto
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm wrote:
Would you rather we committed any old crap to the tree? Perhaps you should take a look at the amount of whining we get right now whenever something breaks -- then imagine what would happen if we dropped our QA standards even further.

So you saying that if an app doesn't meet YOUR (I don't remember bringing anyone else into this) code requirement which could result in that app breaking itself and needing it's developer to fix it, that it shouldn't be in the tree when it has no effect on your operating system? The my way or the highway attitude isn't what gentoo needs.
ciaranm
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

firephoto wrote:
ciaranm wrote:

So you saying that if an app doesn't meet YOUR (I don't remember bringing anyone else into this) code requirement which could result in that app breaking itself and needing it's developer to fix it, that it shouldn't be in the tree when it has no effect on your operating system? The my way or the highway attitude isn't what gentoo needs.

'My' code requirements? Policy says, amongst other things, that we should only have things that work and that we can actually fix in the tree. By putting something in the tree, a developer is in effect vouching for that software.
jd5419
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has become quite a long (IMHO) flamefest for some developers... Poor Poor larry the cow.
Ascension
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: I Concur Reply with quote

I'd like to second the idea that ciaranm should be the face of Gentoo. Him or foser that is. They both have a very strong "no BS" policy, and I think that's a great message to go with this distribution.

They also don't waste their time with meaningless things like politeness, or explanations. If people don't get it, they're never going to get it. Screw them.

ciaranm/foser for Gentoo Spokesperson!!

-Robert Frost
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: I Concur Reply with quote

Ascension wrote:
They also don't waste their time with meaningless things like politeness, or explanations. If people don't get it, they're never going to get it.

Thats precisely why they wouldn't make good PR people. The "face of Gentoo" needs to have some charisma...

This has got to be the most idiotic comment I have seen in a long time: "If people don't get it, they're never going to get it." Take a bow...

Next time you need a question answered or ask for something, and the person yells and you or treats you abusively or maliciously, then you have absolutely no right to complain...according to your own words that is...
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I Concur Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
Ascension wrote:
They also don't waste their time with meaningless things like politeness, or explanations. If people don't get it, they're never going to get it.
Thats precisely why they wouldn't make good PR people. The "face of Gentoo" needs to have some charisma...
so you're suggesting we need the same PR person as everone else? As someone who worked in PR in london i tell you, people like a change, someone who tells them straight. Now if you had have said that perhaps ciaranm can be too abrasive at times then it would have given creedence to what you were saying, unfortunately we can see you have no idea what you are on about.

Lokheed wrote:
This has got to be the most idiotic comment I have seen in a long time: "If people don't get it, they're never going to get it." Take a bow...
you dont seem to have yet and i cant bother explaining it to you

Lokheed wrote:
Next time you need a question answered or ask for something, and the person yells and you or treats you abusively or maliciously, then you have absolutely no right to complain...according to your own words that is...
I've never seen ciaranm talk like that to someone who didn't deserve it. He gets annoyed when people say "can you help me with this error" and then dont give the error or what they were doing when they got it.
kimchi_sg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ciaranm for the public face of Gentoo! :D
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I Concur Reply with quote

cokehabit wrote:
lots of stuff about ciranm

Although I like ciarnm and think he is more or less correct when it comes to his opinions concerning gentoo, I don't think he would be a good Spokesperson. We need someone more like swift. Swift is not a code developer, he's the Lead Documentor, so he is not trying to push any of his own coding ideas and doesn't get caught up in the internal politics of that. He is capable of being more objective than most of the other devs because of this.

Also, swift has been with the project almost since the beginning. He knows the in's and out's of gentoo like the back of his hand (politically and technically) and the other devs know, respect and trust him. I dare you to find a dev that doesn't at least partially agree with my opinion of him.

Swift is also more of a consensus builder. He is genuinely concerned with the well being of the project and all the individual devs involved in it's creation. The rough and ready style of ciarnm may be good when it comes to fighting for technical excellence but it doesn't fit with the role of a Spokesperson. In a large project like this we need someone that all the players are comfortable discussing things with. Someone who can remain objective and impartial when evaluating the facts at hand and reporting them to the press.
Sven Vermeulen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I Concur Reply with quote

curtis119 wrote:

I dare you to find a dev that doesn't at least partially agree with my opinion of him.

/me points to ciaran :twisted:

Generally, Gentoo does not need (or want) a single face. Gentoo's strength is in the entire community, both user-side as developer. You will not find a distribution where you can easily talk to many developers or where the development community works so closely with the users.

We might need some better PR (tried it, didn't work well for me) but not the one people see in commercial companies. We do not want to have good figures at the end of a quarter. We want to improve Gentoo regardless of the time restrictions.

And stop the crap on ciaran for public face. tigger^ all the way...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: