Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zieloo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_enigma wrote:
Just an added tip, I found http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/cthom/laptop/ but no matter what combination of things I tried, it didn't help.
I tried using the i830 module too. Now the i915 was auto-loaded by Xorg, so I had to modprobe the i830 module. So it loaded fine, but when Xorg started, I got a real small (1cmx1cm) square in the middle, mainly white. It had some stuff in it, didn't look like anything recognizable. I couldn't get back to a terminal either. So I hit the power switch, and I noticed something scrolling through that little screen in the middle of my screen. Don't know whether that was just me or not.

Anyway, the log from Xorg had
Code:
(EE) I810(0): I830 Dma Initialization Failed
and
Code:
(EE) I810(0): [drm] Failed to initialized agp heap manager

extra, when compared to the i915 log file, but that was all that changed.

So yeah, still no luck, but I found a few more ways of not enabling DRI at least.

That little grey-ish square around the mouse pointer I found characterictic when running an Intel chip. I experienced exactly the same when using i810 with DRI declared in xorg.conf. So I could either use X without dri or X with terrible hangups causing the whole comp to lock up.
A piece of odvice - get rid of Intel graphics as soon as possible. It's not really worth it.
If it's not a problem, disable dri support, and run X using i810 driver. If you really-really need it, than i915 is the way to go. I'm fairy surprised you haven't succeeded so far... Re-read the info above, /me have it working...

When it comes to the link you provided it described XFree configuration as far as I can see. XFree is NOT causing ANY problems (ehmm, at least not such serious ones) on Intel chips. I was digging into that problem quite a long time and was extremely surprised xorg was not able to work such flawlessly as XFree did. Although not recommened, switch back to XFree, well, unless you need all those outstanding additional options...
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I've got everything cept for DRI working fine with the i915 driver. Beats me as to why, though. As to XFree86, that'd probably work, but I'm lazy. Also, this is my laptop for work, I purposely didn't get an ATI or Nvidia in it. So this whole DRI thing is just me trying to work around a limitation I set on myself. Plus it's me trying to work something out, to fix something.
ld50
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem, glxinfo says o have dri disabled... but glxgears gives me 600~ FPS.
When i disable dri in xorg.conf glxgears only gives me 200~ FPS so i think its enabled... glxinfo is just reporting
it wrongly.

But i have these errors in Xorg.log:

Code:

drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenDevice: Open failed
drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:00:02.0
drmOpenDevice: open result is 7, (OK)
drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns 7
drmOpenByBusid: drmGetBusid reports pci:0000:00:02.0
ld50
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'v searched xorg's bugzilla and found this:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=3022
bonbons
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all of you, if you can't get DRI to work with Xorg, try uninstall Xorg and OpenGL-update. (no need to touch progs that depend on X)

Then scan your filesystem for orphean files (owned by no package) and clean-out everything that has something to do with Xorg (e.g. dripkg stuff, opengl-update symlink) and also clean out /etc/X11.

Then emerge xorg-x11 again, and chances are high it will finally work.

For me rebuilding a new system from scratch (in chroot jail) an trying Xorg in the jail just works. Possibly there are some old includes that just break the whole opengl stuff. The kernel DRI stuff is just fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: