View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bachmann.Matt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: DRM? (SOLVED) Reply with quote

Hi, I have been having problems getting my ATI card in my Dell 600m Laptop working. I have scaned the forums and looked over a lot of documentation and have been able to discover when I emegre the ATI drivers I get a warning that DRM is enabled and that DRI will not work, I am just far too n00b to know where to disable that.

After some reading I thought DRM was something that I emerged but my attempt to unmerge it failed, error was that portage could not find the file on my system. So now I am totally lost.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

-Matt Bachmann

Last edited by Bachmann.Matt on Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total
hardyb
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a bit confused, I think.

The DRM you compiled was probably in the kernel configuration. It is a default option usually. So, seeing as it is not a package you have emerged, but a part of your kernel, you can't unmerge it. You will have to rebuild your kernel.

To save you some searching, it's in 'character devices' under 'Direct Rendering Manager'. Should have a [*] next to it. Change it so it's [ ]. If it doesn't have a [*] or [m] next to it, this is not your problem!

Then, run

Code:
 make && make install_modules

copy your new kernel to your /boot directory, reconfigure lilo/grub and you're set to try and roll the ATI drivers again.

You probly want to read up on some of the terminology for Gentoo/Linux and then reread the making ATI work forums again. Doesn't do much good to read if you don't speak the language, yea?

--Hardy
Bachmann.Matt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the quick reply, and I aplogize for mixing up the terms. I am quite new to all this (started 3 days ago) and am learning as I go.

-Matt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: