USE flags with GRP, clarification [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlmcp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: USE flags with GRP, clarification [solved] Reply with quote

:: Warning :: Noob Q ::

So, just to make sure I have this straight, when I see the following advice in the Gentoo Handbook:

Quote:
Warning: Do not make any modifications to the USE variable if you are performing a stage3 with GRP installation. You can alter the USE variable after having installed the packages you want. Gremlins are known to attack your system if you ignore this warning!

This means that I should *not* define any USE flags while I am still installing binary packages from the Packages CDROM. Once I have Gnome and all the other large packages installed, I intend to update portage and upgrade any out-of-date packages. At this point, I will stop using the Packages CDROM. I am assuming that at this point I can define the USE flags I want, and then do something like:

Code:
emerge -e world

to recompile all my installed components (system & packages?) with the new flags I have set.

Is that right?

Jake

Last edited by jlmcp on Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

correct

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
curtis119
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Toledo, Ohio,USA, North America, Earth, SOL System, Milky Way, The Universe, The Cosmos, and Beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emerge -e world will recompile the entire system and it will use your new USE flags. If you don't want to recompile the entire system then this is an easier and faster way:

Code:
emerge sync && emerge --newuse -uD world && revdep-rebuild

The only time I ever do emerge -e is when there is an upgrade to glibc or gcc but it's up to you. The --newuse will recompile any packages that are affected by the change in USE flags and -uD world will bring all your packages up to date with the latest portage tree and the revdep-rebuild will recompile any apps that had a dependant library upgrade.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: