Setup scheme question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Setup scheme question Reply with quote

Hi,

I got a new hard disk and I would like to try to install Gentoo on it. The general idea is:
40GB IDE, primary master
160GB IDE, secondary master
200GB SATA #1
200GB SATA #2

The SATA ones are on a SATA PCI card. The card is supported by the kernel because I tried it before.

Sata #2 is new and I would like to make a 20GB partition on the beginning (partition magic will do) to install Gentoo.

My questions:
Would this work? Would Gentoo want to boot from a sata drive and would grub want to load?
How would I configure grub?

Greetings and thanks. I'll supply more information if needed.
elvisthedj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My questions:
Would this work? Would Gentoo want to boot from a sata drive and would grub want to load?

Yep.
Quote:

How would I configure grub?

You wouldn't need to do anything special to configure grub. Install it as if it were on any other drives just make sure you get the right drive name in your grub.conf (e.g. root (hd0,0) or whatever) (I'm assuming you are setting this up so you use the BIOS to select the boot device and don't want grub to always boot..
thomasvk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question was more if Grub would understand to boot from a serial ata hard disk that's connect through a PCI card. But I kind of planned the layout now.

40GB HDD will be chopped up with 25GB for Windows and 15GB for Linux as /.
The second 200GB SATA hard disk will be chopped up with 50GB for Windows and 150GB for Gentoo as /home.

Now I have just one more wonder... wil I need a boot partition? And does this need to be the first partition on the first disk? Because then I'd need to move all the data with partition magic and I'd rather not do that because of bad experiences in the past.

Greetings
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question was more if Grub would understand to boot from a serial ata hard disk that's connect through a PCI card. But I kind of planned the layout now.
Yes

Quote:
Now I have just one more wonder... wil I need a boot partition? And does this need to be the first partition on the first disk? Because then I'd need to move all the data with partition magic and I'd rather not do that because of bad experiences in the past.
A boot partition is not necessary, you can have a working system without one.

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: