Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Are there any dvb-t pci cards with a hardware mpeg2 decoder?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Are there any dvb-t pci cards with a hardware mpeg2 decoder? Reply with quote

The title says it all... Am in the uk and want to receive digital freeview channels but all the cards I can find have no hardware decoding/encoding. Anyone seen any! Thanks...
chunderbunny
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Digital TV is transmitted in MPEG2 format anyway, so no hardware encoder is needed. I don't know off-hand of any DVB cards with hardware decoders though.
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right but some cards have analogue inputs too. It would be nice to capture via these inputs with a hardware encoder. I guess two cards would do the trick - perhaps a nova-t pci for freeview and a pvr-350 for analogue.

Whilst looking around I found this card... http://www.pluggedin.tv/sweetspot/

Looks the bomb for analogue capture (and digital with an adaptor). Not sure how well it is supported in Linux. It uses the Philips SAA7118 9-bit analog-to-digital converter and the Conexant Fusion BT878A video decoder. The bt878a is supported I am pretty sure but haven't been able to find anything regarding the saa7118. On a similar tack to this is REALmagic Xcard. Again not sure there is any linux support. Oh well. I will keep on searching...
dbergst
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Here's another suggestion Reply with quote

See http://www.pchdtv.com

Their pcHDTV™ HD-3000 Hi Definition Television Card appears to be designed with open source systems in mind and may meet your needs.
woZa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had seen that before but unfortunately it is NTSC only... We are PAL here in the UK.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: