KDE 3.4 & artsd kills CPU
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeezus84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: KDE 3.4 & artsd kills CPU Reply with quote

Good evening ladies, and, uh, ladies.

Ever since I emerged KDE 3.4, artsd has been a pain in the ass. Whenever I load KDE, artsd eats up most of my CPU, and then gives me a "CPU overload" error, then artsd crashes. The only way to get sound back in this case is to run `/etc/init.d/alsasound restart` and reload `kmix`.

This never happened in KDE 3.3. I've also tried KDE 3.4 on Arch Linux with the same problem.

I went into Control Center, and completely turned off the sound system. Still no luck. Artsd kills my CPU when I start KDE.

If I open a Konsole window as root I can run kill <artsd pid> all I want and artsd still wont die.

I've even removed my user from the audio group, so when I start KDE, i get the classic permission denied error regarding /dev/dsp. This is fine, but artsd is STILL starting up.

So.. what do I do?
jeezus84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i just prevented alsa from starting up.

You need to `rc-update del alsasound` .

ALthough this will keep artsd from making your system hang, you will not get any sound at all. I don't know how to solve this problem, so it looks like i'll be surfing in slience for awhile.

From what I've read, this problem is fairly widespread, and everyone seems to have their own solution. I've tried many, and none have worked for me. So, at this point, I don't know what to do. Maybe ditch KDE, maybe use another sound system. It seems that regardless of what sound system I try to use, artsd keeps starting up.
jdgill0
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two places in the control center that relate to KDE sound system .. the second is a little more obscure. As you said there have been many problems reported about kde+alsa+arts. There is another post in the forums about KDE 3.3 and -arts ... towards the end there have been some posts added about KDE 3.4. You can run KDE 3.4 without artsd with the KDE packages still being built with +arts +alsa ... give that thread a read and see if it helps.
Rober
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: A solution for me Reply with quote

A solution for me was to manually set the sample rate, in the KDE control panel to 48000 Hz, try it if your card works at that rate (like mine)
wizzzard
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of alsa-lib do you use? If it's something > 1.0.8 there's been a lot of problems in my case. Try downgrading to 1.0.8 and see if it works, I got the same error and this was my solution.
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get an error saying that artsd failed with signal 11 in kde3.4
DanielW@thengc.net
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did away with arts and added -arts to my use flag. Of course I do have the luxury of a sound blaster card, but if you do as well, you might consider getting rid of arts as well.
Gentux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also kept having problems with aRTs. Mostly with the 100% CPU load.
I'm on a AMD64 3200+ laptop which support the Cool 'n Quiet, so normally my processor runs at 800 Mhz.
But every time aRTS causes trouble, it's speed goes op to 2000Mhz and then my fan starts making a lot of noise.
I couldn't get rid of this problem, so finally I recompiled my system with USE="-arts".
Now I only use the ALSA drivers from Portage (disabled the ones provided in the kernel) and everthing works just perfect.
No more 100% CPU load, no more media players crashing.
I guess you can live without aRTs, at least I can.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: