View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Everything segfaults - Help Reply with quote

Everything I've compiled since yesterday or perhaps the day before that (vte, gimp) segfaults, I don't dare to compile anything else until I know why. I just switched 100% to Linux/Gentoo, everything was working perfect and now this crap happens.

Any and all help would be dearly appreciated, I've searched bugzillas like crazy but found nothing. If extra debug info needed let me know how to get it, I sent some limited gdb stuff to gnome people but they weren't to helpful and I initially thought it was limited to vte until I noticed everything I compiled segfaulted.

:( :?:
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get stuff like this don't send it to gnome. Send it to Gentoo first b/c it is clearly a distrobution problem. Gentoo has gotten a bad rap with some of the developers because of some people who have gone to other projects with Gentoo issues. This is just something to keep in mind.

Now as to your problem what has changed since 2 days ago? Did you change optimizations, compilers, upgrade a library?
What versions of major programs are you running, ie gcc, gtk, portage etc. Check your emerge.log and see what was the last thing you did before this happened.

Also you can put
inherit debug
in any ebuild file to allow yourself to get extra debug information.
max_colby
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your CFLAGS, and is your processor over-clocked? Assuming both of those are relatively normal, I'd try running a memory test (a forum search should turn one up).

I've just noticed your sig. notes that you are running a development kernel, which seems like a very bad idea to me. The ck-sources have a number of features from the 2.5 kernel series, are very fast, but based off of the latest stable kernel.

I can see why developers tend to get frustrated with Gentoo users. Even Gentoo developers seem to be getting a bit frustrated (check the comments of large packages such as glibc). Packages aren't supposed to compile with crazy optimisations, if they do, that's just an added bonus for users who like to try that sort of thing. The use of development kernels and irregular CFLAGS (assuming your CFLAGS are) invalidate any bug report you may submit. If one chooses to run such a system, it's only fair that they be willing to recompile things with normal CFLAGS, or revert back to a vanilla-kernel before getting developers involved.

I don't mean to be rude lowspirit, and I'm not directing this at you specifically, but as Gentoo continues to grow, adding users and packages, things become complicated. Please post some more information because I'm interested in helping you sort this out, as are many others I'm sure (Gentoo forums are great!) :D
Lowspirit
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject: Problem solved Reply with quote

As suggested, I located my emerge.log and filtered through it and I found I stupidly, probably through a moronic depclean of mine, had unmerged libzvt which in turn had rendered gnome-terminal broken. The Gimp still segfaults but now atleast I'm pretty sure it's not some corrupt lib or something, so problem solved.

It was in desperation I went to the Gnome people, but I can see how I may look so I'll stay away from that temptation in the future, I just had alot of work to get done and as I mentioned I had just yesterday moved pretty much everything over to this pure Linux/Gentoo workstation.

Thanks for the help though, if I don't solve my next screwup myself (you just know it'll be more) I know not to panic cause fear not! gentoo forums to the rescue!

max_colby wrote:
(Gentoo forums are great!)

Couldn't agree more. :wink:
David_Escott
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand you are busy and what a quick fix but honestly gentoo forums are faster than catching a gnome developer because we understand the distro whereas they don't. A Gnome developer wouldn't even know about the emerge.log and would probably ask you to see if you can reinstall from rpm.

As to the gimp you can check the dependencies by running ldd against the gimp and then checking to see that all those files exist.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: