Manufacturing binary packages for a Pentium 100MHz
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimmo_S
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Manufacturing binary packages for a Pentium 100MHz Reply with quote

Hello

I have a Pentium 100MHz with a 1GB HD and 32MB memory. It now has a Debian Woody installation. I wonder if I should stay with Woody, or install a Gentoo into it.

I'd do this either by:
1. Building everything ready for the little machine in my Pentium III, and then just copying the image (maybe a directory that I've built using chroot) to the little machine's HD.
or:
2. Install a base system into the little machine, and then import binary packages from the Pentium III to the little machine. Either via Ethernet or by writing them into CD-RW.
or
3. some other way, any suggestions?

My intention is to, after the little machine is ready enough, to use it as a standalone XML/XSLT processing station (with no network connection - please, do not be amazed, because it'd be for processing lists once a month and not much else). I'd need basic X functionality and a browser that supports HTML. Dillo? Opera? Links2? No XSLT support in the browser is needed, because all the processing (by cmdline xsltproc) ends in HTML.

It is optional whether I'd want the browser to support CUPS and printing. Does any of the little browsers do that? I really do not want any Gecko beasts there. The machine would be used in a place where it'd be the only one running linux.
adaptr
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this can be accomplished with Debian then please do so - the gotchas with trying to get X and supporting programs running on a 32MB system are many...
This will be the most limiting factor - the speed has little to do with its ability to house a working Gentoo.
Gentoo simply isn't optimised for process image size - Debian does quite a good job of that, and if you really want to get the most out of it then Slackware would be even smaller.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: