kernel compile error: [ksyms.o] Error 1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: kernel compile error: [ksyms.o] Error 1 Reply with quote

I am doing a fresh install & screwed up my first kernel. I forgot to enable devfs, so when I rebooted it failed & complained. When I rebooted the 1.4_rc2 livecd, chrooted in, made the change, tried to recompile --- all I get is this same error. I have tried removing devfs again, tried removing/enabling a few others --- same error. One time the computer locked up after the error, forcing me to power off, restart & fix /boot partition.

Code:

(edit) there were 11 page up screens of warnings, etc. from the gcc ... ksyms.c command that resulted in the failure.

Using 1.4_rc2 i586 live_cd
System: Gigabyte GA7VAX (Via KT400), XP2000, 256M Ram, 3 WD60gig HD's (hda1 for windblows), Asus GF4-MX44/64M 8X, LG 16X DVD, floppy

Started from Stage1, gentoo-sources-2.4.19_r10, No Nvidia drivers downloaded/installed yet.

Is this problem related to the 2.4.20 kernel bug mentioned in https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=31630?

How can I get around this? Download an Athalon live_cd & emerge a finished kernel? Start form scratch again :cry: ? Compile a kernel on my old p200mmx gcc 2.95.3 system and transfer it somehow?

Thank you for any help, Brian
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: compile error Reply with quote

Well, I've downloaded the athlon-xp-stage3 tarball to my otherwise empty home directory. I am going to try unpacking it, stealing the kernel and it's modules. If that works, then I can build my own again. I hope!

I won't be able to try till later tonight, I have a family due to attend :(

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2003 1:33 am    Post subject: brain was numb Reply with quote

Well, that was a waste of time & download, there is no kernel in a stage3.

My brain finally kicked in. I unmergered gentoo-sources, re-emerged it checked the configuration, and, :D , it's compiling as I type this.

that's what I get for staying up late last night installing gentoo on my new computer!

Brian
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: