Gaming on Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sethjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Gaming on Gentoo Reply with quote

Ok here is the deal. I have a computer I use for games it is running MicroSith Windwoes XP. I need to know if I can get my games to work via wine. I have BF 1942, Desert Combat(BF 1942 mod), SWKOTOR, and Steam. The only reason I'm not running Gentoo on that computer is because I'm not sure if these apps will run under wine. SWKOTOR should, and I think steam will work too. I'm not sure about BF 1942 since it is DirectX based. Does anyone know if these apps will work? Because I really don't like funding the Empire unless I have to, and I like GNU/Linx and Gentoo lots better.

Last edited by sethjackson on Thu May 12, 2005 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
MdaG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through other topics here it seem like some games run fine, but not all. I still only play my old dos games through dosbox and scummvm. I don't have the patience to try and get other games to work with Wine. Well I'm gonna try and see if I can get Feeble Files working under Wine, but other than that I'll wait until Linux is able to run most games wothout any hassle, until then I have XP *sigh*.
theMadBard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have KOTOR running under cedega (might also work with wine have not tried yet). It runs very well and I expect close to native speed usually.
oisch
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BF 1942 worked for me in wine without any problems.
Steam may be a problem in wine. But Cedega claims to support it.
wjholden
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam works flawlessly under Cedega. I was really impressed how the system tray icon plays nice with Fluxbox.

I haven't had much time to play my Half-Life 2 demo that I downloaded a couple days ago. It ran great for the 10 minutes I had to mess around with it (apart from the Geforce FX 5200 sucks).
Psykk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Gaming on Gentoo Reply with quote

sethjackson wrote:
Ok here is the deal. I have a computer I use for games it is running MicroSith Windwoes XP.

It's little things like this that give the Linux community a bad name and reputation. PLEASE STOP.
sethjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Psykk ????? What do you want me to stop. Playing games, bashing Microsoft of both!?!?! And how does this give the GNU/Linux community a bad reputation? BTW why do you use GNU/Linux if you don't like the GPL?
Aynjell
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree:

Bashing windows is his own thing, and for someone with a lack of appreciation for the GPL ( a large part of linux's core philosophy ), they seem to care a lot about linux's well-being. Honestly, he's done no such thing. Bash windows if you like, play games if you like, that's the philosophy behind linux. Please do not do anything to effect that... Anyway, as far as cedega, I own it and it's a pain. Nothing I've tried to setup except for need for speed underground works and that was unplayable due to a lack of joystick support. :(

Anyway, lighten up. He can make jokes if he wants, we are a humourous society after all. ;)
RAM: 2 x OCZ Gold 1024 DDR500 3-4-3-7 (2048)
HDD: Western Digital Raptor
sethjackson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to not be so hard on Microsoft, but once you use GNU/Linux IMO Windows just doesn't seem as desirable anymore. I definately don't wan't to affect the GNU/Linux community in a bad way. Sorry for getting on your case Psykk no hard feelings. :)
johnson_steve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psykk, how can you tell others not to bash ms when you bash the GPL. what the hell? microsoft sucks. all they do is rip off others ideas and use there market share and unlimited resources to push the little guy out of their way. If you don't think that someone can make money while using the GPL look at novell. I read that page you link to and I can't tell if it's intended to be a joke. It's very funny.

http://www.fuckwindows.com

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gamers & Players All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: