View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crash3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: USE flags and toolkits Reply with quote

So, not that this is important to me or anything, but one of the things I love about linux is the vast amount of WM's. I could play for days just emerging and trying new ones. Now i have a question about USE flags and SLOTS and how they apply to qt and gtk primarily. Let's say i wanted KVirc (just an example of a program that can use both) in KDE to use QT, but if i'm in a gtk based WM to use a gtk build of KVirc. Is there anyway to have builds using both using portages slots or something?
CoN
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK there aren't many (if any at all) applications that use two different toolkits, it would mean an awful lot of duplicate code because of different function-names and function-parameters. There probably are some apps that allow you to choose the toolkit at compile-time, but I don't think there are any that do it at run-time.

But there exists some wrappers (like gtk-qt-engine) which do the opposite to achieve a more uniform look between gtk-apps and a qt-based wm, and if you could find one which does the same for qt-apps in a gtk-based wm you would perhaps get the effect your after.

EDITED because I'm still not fully awake
okidit
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wel, well that's a question that's no so easy to answer, but I'm going to do my best.

First of all there are some packages that can use different toolkits to function, and the
vast mayority of this packages can be built with two or more different toolkits.

So how can this work? Usally all DE's use some env_variables that indicate if they are
running so if youre using GNOME and then you run an program whit the previous case,
it will show with the GTK toolkit.

I hope I didn't confuse you more, but in reality it's easy, it is the same principle like
console apps use, to know whethear they are running in a console or a xterm.
crash3k
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent, i'll give it a shot :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: