View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ineluki12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Computer freezing on acpi events! [solved] Reply with quote

Recently, I did some things to my laptop (installed gnome, removed support for devfs, etc...) and I'm not sure what caused this issue. Whenever the power cord is pulled or insterted, or a battery removed, the computer will freeze.

Now, the reason I started this thread in Desktop Environments and not Kernel and Hardware is b/c it only occurs when viewing my Gnome session or GDM. If I kill the GUI alltogether, it works fine.

I configured power management as prescribed in the power management guide on the gentoo website. I used to run fluxbox, rox, and a few others before switching to Gnome, but I'm not sure Gnome is the culprit.

I tried a couple of other tests. I logged into an X session and then switched to another console. I pulled the power and got this message:
Code:

gdm(pam_unix)[15444]: session closed for user 'userName'

I then switched to terminal 7 and it said:
Code:

gdm(pam_unix)[15444]: session opened for user 'userName' by (uid=0)

I also removed one of my batteries while in Gnome and, right before the system crashed, the volume control put up a message saying it couldn't find the audio hardware.

Anyone have a clue about what's going on?

EDIT: One more thing...whenever the system freezes in Gnome or GDM, the screen gets messed up and all kinds of long rectangles jumble together.

Last edited by Ineluki12 on Mon May 09, 2005 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like your gnome config is a little bit confused.

Never had the a problem like this, but my first shot would be to rename all directories .gnome* in your home directory to .gnome*_old or something and start your next session with a clean install. Might not help, but Imho it's worth the two minutes :lol:
Ineluki12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying to rename all of the .gnome folders and reemerge gnome? Okie dokie, I'll give it a try. I think my config might have been messed up b/c I emerged gnome-light, followed by almost every package that installs when one emerges gnome. I just didn't want a few things, but I think this may have caused things to go awry.
Ineluki12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That didn't work, but I've isolated the problem to GDM. After I booted, I dropped to another console, killed the GDM process, switched to console 1, logged in as myself, and ran startx. After Gnome came up, I pulled the plug and ran on batteries. My mouse jumped a little bit and the panel volume control and XMMS died (so it's obviously not just GDM), but the screen was fine. So, I remerged GDM, rebooted, logged in and Gnome came up. After about 5 seconds, my screen went nuts without me even pulling the power.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant rename the directories and logout and make a new session loging in. Sorry for that missunderstanding :roll:
Ineluki12
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized that the freeze is only happening on power-oriented acpi events, like adding/removing the batteries and power cord. Things like closing the lid weren't freezing X. In other words, X was bombing when switching runlevels. So, I went to the http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/power-management-guide.xml and noticed several things had changed. Then I remembered updating my system before installing Gnome, and that might have replaced my old version of acpid but not the setup I had done. So, I followed the guide again and eveything worked 8)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: