Help! local.start hang
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jellyfisharepretty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Help! local.start hang Reply with quote

Please help! After installing LCDproc, I wanted to start it at boot time, so here's what I wrote in

/etc/conf.d/local.start :

Code:
LCDd -d MtxOrb

Problem is, once the LCDproc server is started, it just hangs... Of course, I think I should have written

Code:
LCDd -d MtxOrb &

I tried loading a Knoppix LiveCD to change it, but I'm only able to read the file in read-only mode. Is there any way to make the boot sequence ignore local.start ? Or any other way to fix this ?

Thanks,

jellyfish
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctrl+c doesn't work?

you could try pressing "e" in grub and adding "single" to your kernel's command line

failing that, KNOPPIX should be able to mount rw. Try:
Code:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/PARTITION
(replace PARTITION with something from fdisk -ls)
jellyfisharepretty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah crtl-c doesn't work...

thanks for the quick reply

the remount worked :D , which means my system is super not secure, if anyone can boot a LiveCD and change config files !8O
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellyfisharepretty wrote:
Nah crtl-c doesn't work...

thanks for the quick reply

the remount worked :D , which means my system is super not secure, if anyone can boot a LiveCD and change config files !8O

You expected something different...? With physical access to the hardware and the ability to reboot, one can do anything. Gentoo makes it trivially easy since pressing "e" in grub to add "single" to the kernel line means YOU DO NOT NEED A PASSWORD TO LOG IN AS ROOT, and you don't even need a CD to do it.

here is some discussion and here is a guide to some real security
jellyfisharepretty
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You expected something different...?

Yes I did. Well, I assumed since at first Knoppix wouldn't let me write, that something was embeded in the filesystem that prevented exactly what I was trying to do, seeing how I wasn't the real root user of the system.

Guess that proves I still have a lot to learn, Thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jellyfisharepretty wrote:
I assumed since at first Knoppix wouldn't let me write, that something was embeded in the filesystem that prevented exactly what I was trying to do, seeing how I wasn't the real root user of the system.
Nope, anytime you boot from a LiveCD be it Knoppix or Gentoo's and then chroot to a mounted hard drive, you are the real root user and can change the root password or pretty much do anything else you want.

The only reason Knoppix wouldn't let you write is that by default it is configured to not make any permanent changes. It's primary design goal is to be a "temporary" operating system.
CitizenX
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, this is what Trusted Computing is supposed to solve. You write a list of trusted OS's into the chip on the board, and when somebody tries a Knoppix boot, it doesnt allow it. Hopefully, this will have certain idiot proof features, such as the ability to override this option with some sort of password/key. You'd only be able to boot into Knoppix if you knew the password....which negates the reason for using a LiveCD to crack your system.

The controversy is if the chip is written on at the factory and is delivered to you read-only. Then you can only use an OS that is pre-approved by your vendor. Leads to serious abuse of the system.
Gherald
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenX wrote:
IIRC, this is what Trusted Computing is supposed to solve. You write a list of trusted OS's into the chip on the board, and when somebody tries a Knoppix boot, it doesnt allow it. Hopefully, this will have certain idiot proof features, such as the ability to override this option with some sort of password/key. You'd only be able to boot into Knoppix if you knew the password....which negates the reason for using a LiveCD to crack your system.

The controversy is if the chip is written on at the factory and is delivered to you read-only. Then you can only use an OS that is pre-approved by your vendor. Leads to serious abuse of the system.

If they have physical access to the computer, they can still move your drive to some other machine and chroot into it there. Encryption is your only defense against someone that determined.

The functionality of Trusted Computing that you describe is equivalent to a non-resetable CMOS password.

Trusted Computing is far more encompassing. It's primary funtion is vendor lock-in.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: