Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Processor Performance on Linux much slower than XP?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What does this mean?
Quote:
Preempt if anything is going to slightly slow down anything.
Are you saying preempt is not going to make my maya faster?
Preempt can make the system feel a little more responsive but it will actually slow down overall performance by a very small ammount, measurable but far from noticeable.

Quote:
So, to conclude this post, your problem might simply be that '-march=athlon-mp' might be the source of your probs, for reasons given above.
If GrandMasterG was actually compiling Maya I'd consider this a possibility but since he's not I think it's highly unlikely this would make any difference.

Quote:
My rendering problem is still the same. Perhaps it's just Maya.

What version of Maya are you using? Have you tried contacting aliaswavefront and asking them what the expected performance should be compared to windows? It's possible in yor version there's a larger performance gap then there is in other versions. If they compiled the windows version with intels compiler and the Linux version with gcc that alone could cause a big performance difference for example.

The performance problem probably lies in their executable and has nothing to do with the operating system. Linux/winxp performance will usually be fairly close.

Quote:
Now I'm running developemnt-sources and everything seems to be a bit zipper but I can't get nvidia drivers working on this kernel
I noticed there are some masked Nvidia drivers for the 2.5x kernel, I'm not sure what the difference is but did you try those?
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you c_kuzmanic for your response and info. I'm gonna try using your flags. :) I've already spent days compiling, it won't hurt to recompile a couple more days.

Thanks to you to Malakin. I now understand preempt better.

I'm using Maya 4.5. I contacted my support rep and was told that I was running it on a version of linux that has not been tested so support would be limited if any. "However Maya 4.5 for linux should perform the same as it does for Maya 4.5 for NT if not better. Users have reported that performance on Red Hat was better especially when it comes to rendering. "

The shitty part of this deal for me is. I originally bought my license for NT. They would not let me upgrade from ver 4 NT to ver 4.5 Linux so i had to buy a linux license for 4.5. So now that I'm in the hole already I will stick with linux even though at the moment it's slower.

However for my test, I did it on Maya 4.5 for Windows and Linux.

I wonder if prelinking will help any. I read that there were problems with nvidia drivers and prelinking, maybe I'll wait....

Quote:
I noticed there are some masked Nvidia drivers for the 2.5x kernel, I'm not sure what the difference is but did you try those?

Not yet, I haven't figured out how to get or see drivers that are masked for 2.5x. ??

Thanks,

G
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, rac sent me a message and he said that m3dnow, sse and mmx are STILL disabled using '-march=athlon-mp'.. So if I were you, I'd try the '-march=athlon-xp' and do an emerge -e world to rebuild everything specific to the new flags.
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. My system just finished recompiling everything. I used the original settings that you suggested. To be honest I don't see much of a difference. KDE, Mozilla seems to be the same. Maya rendering is still the same as well.

I really wish there was a learning edition of Maya for linux. Then I know all of the knowledgeable people here like yourself would be able to pinpoint my problem.

I just installed the wolk-sources hoping that would help a bit but it won't load my nvidia drivers or netcard. Gonna recompile it now.
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try glxgears ? It's a simple benchmark, but it would be interesting to see what it yields...

$ glxgears
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 2400 fps in 5 seconds.

But my problem is rendering...I should say software rendering which only uses my processors and not gfx card :)
c_kuzmanic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandMasterG wrote:
I get 2400 fps in 5 seconds.

But my problem is rendering...I should say software rendering which only uses my processors and not gfx card :)

Yep, but the gears are actually rendered, so rendering per se doesn't seem to be your problem...Is your system otherwise intact now, i.e. no more boot-times of 16 minutes etc ? If it is, I would definetely look to maya and maybe contact alias wavefront as malakin suggested.
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah system boots in a few seconds now...:)

Yeah I called alias already. I posted just above what they said.
In a nutshell, my support will be limited since I'm not using the distro that they suggest but performance should be the same if not better than windows.

I'll keep cracking at it since I really don't want to use Red Hat or go back to windows. But thanks for your help :)

G
sgaap
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is your glxgears prerformance so low?
on my system (1ghz athlon/390mb/4200)
Quote:

17665 frames in 5.0 seconds = 3533.000 FPS

These are my glxgears, so maybe installing the nvidia drivers (and enabling nvidia agp) will speed up things (which I doubt if the videocard is unused during rendering, but it never hurts to try)

Wat is your hd performance? (hdparm -Tt /dev/hdX)
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to mention hdparm performance aswell, do rendered images go directly to the HDD? or into memory first? perhaps there is a bottle neck with the hard drive - got DMA enabled?
tanee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrandMasterG wrote:
Yip! I'm using udma 4
when I run hdparm I get like 33.16 mb.

shouldn't you be using udma 5?
i get about 45+ mb (ide ata100 ibm ic35l060avva07 - xfs, no raid)

gentoo runs extremely fast and stable for me and i've got almost the same machine (dual mp 1.9; 1gig ddr; tyan tiger mpx 4m).

[edit] typo
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Quote:
Why is your glxgears prerformance so low?
on my system (1ghz athlon/390mb/4200)

I dunno? Are you using 24 bit or 16 bit resolution? If I run 16 bit I get numbers like you have. However in order to run Maya I must have 24 bit enabled.

Quote:
These are my glxgears, so maybe installing the nvidia drivers (and enabling nvidia agp) will speed up things (which I doubt if the videocard is unused during rendering, but it never hurts to try)

Yeah I tried getting the nvidia drivers today but now I can't log into X. So I tried removing them "emerge unmerge nvidia-glk nvidia-kernel" and I set my XF86Config back to use nv but now X won't start. Starting to remind me on how Windows behaves :(
Quote:
shouldn't you be using udma 5?
i get about 45+ mb (ide ata100 ibm ic35l060avva07 - xfs, no raid)

gentoo runs extremely fast and stable for me and i've got almost the same machine (dual mp 1.9; 1gig ddr; tyan tiger mpx 4m).

Yeah I keep hearing how fast it is. I must be doing something terribly wrong. As as soon I figure out how to get X back up an running, I'll post my hdparm results.

Quote:
I was going to mention hdparm performance aswell, do rendered images go directly to the HDD? or into memory first? perhaps there is a bottle neck with the hard drive - got DMA enabled?

It renders each tile to memory and then when all the tiles are done, it writes the entire frame to disk. I have plenty of memory and I'm not using the pagefile so that leaves writing to disk as the guy to point the finger too.

I'll post back as soon as I get rid of this windows behavior. Argggh!

G
martinianakiev
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why don't you try redhat-sources!??
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone. I have gotten it resolved.
I used the the gentoo-sources and everything works now as it should.

So what did I do different than before? I have no idea. But I'm happy now that the performance is good.

Thanks again,

G
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wonders of Linux! - But thats a good thing! (TM)
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks to everyone. I have gotten it resolved.
I used the the gentoo-sources and everything works now as it should.
Your rendering times magically got much faster? odd...

Quote:
I wonder if prelinking will help any. I read that there were problems with nvidia drivers and prelinking, maybe I'll wait....

Prelinking mainly only effects how fast programs open, it wouldn't make any difference in something like rendering speed.
GrandMasterG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes odd indeed!

btw, I was mistaken about my dma, it was stuck at udma2!!!! No matter what i tried I couldn't swtich to udma4 or 5.

Then the problem I had with cksources and all the other kernels was resolved. I had enabled apm or apci and it would actually slow EVERYTHING down. I guess it was slowing down my processor? As soon as I disable all the power saving stuff, things got much much faster!

In any case I'm now faced with the challenge of getting nvidia drivers working with either cksources or devel-sources. So far no go. The devel-sources appear to be much faster and I would like to do a render test but I can't run 3d apps without nvidia drivers and glx. I've searched the forums here but no answer to the exact resolution. So here's another weekend dedicated to troubleshooting.

Thanks again,

G
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
btw, I was mistaken about my dma, it was stuck at udma2!!!!

udma 2 is still fairly fast, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

No dma results in about 3M/sec and high cpu utilization while udma 2 is giving you 33M/sec and low cpu utilization. With a higher udma setting you might be 50% faster but that's max read speed, it won't effect real world performance as much as some might think.

Just as a test I timed how long "startx" took (rebooting first both times to make sure caches were all empty) with both udma2 and udma6, I couldn't even measure a difference using a stopwatch although "hdparm -t" shows udma2=30.19M/sec and udma6=47.76M/sec.

Quote:
In any case I'm now faced with the challenge of getting nvidia drivers working with either cksources or devel-sources.

Good luck, at least you've nailed down your performance problems ;)
sweede
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, ACPI is a bad thing. the kernel support for it is buggy to begin with, if your motherboard doesnt fully support ACPI, the kernel might not even boot.

i had a motherboard that had buggy ACPI support, debian's default 2.2.20 kernel crashed all the time, took a long time before i could get a 2.4.x kernel compiled on it.

then the 2.4.18 kernel wouldnt boot because of some watchdog timer thing, which is related to the ACPI propblems.

after i got rid of ACPI in the kernel, i promptly installed Gentoo over debian 3.0 and lived happily ever after

*Note - This was all over ssh with a dedicated server and a hosting company that supported and helped me figure out kernel panics and faulty hardware, all the while knowing what i was doing :)

for your DMA problems, your motherboard probably has a newer southbridge than the kernel supports.

use the latest 2.4.20 kernel and see if that helps
]Trix[
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems installing AW Maya 4.01 on my gentoo box. When I run rpm -ivh AWCommon-4.1-16.i386.rpm i get this errors.
error: Failed dependencies:
/bin/sh is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
ld-linux.so.2 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libICE.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libSM.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libX11.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libXext.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libXm.so.2 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libXmu.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libXp.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libXt.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libc.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libm.so.6 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.0) is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.1) is needed by AWCommon-4.1-16
How do i find out where does it want this libraries so that i can make symlinks to them cause i have them all installed?
jimmybfan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try rpm -ivh --nodeps AWCommon-4.1-16.i386.rpm
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: