View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does works sometimes, but I have a very strange problem.

Sometimes this works and I get ncmpc opened in Eterm. But sometimes it opens en closes almost directly, do you know how this comes. It has nothing to do with the config I believe, because if I type this:

Code:
Eterm -e ncmpc -n test

it doesn't work either.

(I have it -n because I want to capture the ncmpc window to put it on a specific page)

Edit: I found that the problem probably has something to do with mpd. I got mpd not responding, I stopped it and I can't get it started anymore. Also conky shows me that I use 100% cpu but I have almost nothing open, and I didn't have this before I set something of mpd in conky. So I closed conky.
I still can't start, but how can I check my cpu without conky? So then I could see if it has something to do with conky.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
That does works sometimes, but I have a very strange problem.

Sometimes this works and I get ncmpc opened in Eterm. But sometimes it opens en closes almost directly, do you know how this comes. It has nothing to do with the config I believe, because if I type this:

Code:
Eterm -e ncmpc -n test

it doesn't work either.

(I have it -n because I want to capture the ncmpc window to put it on a specific page)

Edit: I found that the problem probably has something to do with mpd. I got mpd not responding, I stopped it and I can't get it started anymore. Also conky shows me that I use 100% cpu but I have almost nothing open, and I didn't have this before I set something of mpd in conky. So I closed conky.
I still can't start, but how can I check my cpu without conky? So then I could see if it has something to do with conky.

I don't use or have Eterm installed, but I would imagine that you need to swap your parameters around, hence:

Code:
Eterm -n test -e ncmpc

-- Thomas Adam
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found it myself.

there where a couple of ncmpc processes running and I think they caused the high cpu load.

So one more question. What options in fvwm are there for running a terminal without borders (Eterm in specific here)

And is rxvt better to use? Because I see a lot of fvwm user using this.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
So one more question. What options in fvwm are there for running a terminal without borders (Eterm in specific here)

Code:
Style Eterm !Borders

tmske wrote:

"Better" than what? Can you define better? Do you mean does it use more or less memory than Eterm? Do you mean is it better to use than Eterm because it loads faster? You need to be specific.

I use rxvt because I often have in excess of one hundred terminal emulators open [1] -- I don't need to use Xterm because that does consume a large memory footprint, and I don't need the extra cruft that xterm has.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] Let's fact it, this is what a WM is for -- managing several instances of rxvt at once.
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:

tmske wrote:

"Better" than what? Can you define better? Do you mean does it use more or less memory than Eterm? Do you mean is it better to use than Eterm because it loads faster? You need to be specific.

I use rxvt because I often have in excess of one hundred terminal emulators open [1] -- I don't need to use Xterm because that does consume a large memory footprint, and I don't need the extra cruft that xterm has.

-- Thomas Adam

[1] Let's fact it, this is what a WM is for -- managing several instances of rxvt at once.

Well, I'm setting fvwm up so that I have a light WM, so I can see that rxvt would be useful, but if I look at the development of it, it looks very old.
nevertheless I will give it a try, what version should I use, just the regular ebuild?
I believe I can get it transparent too?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
Well, I'm setting fvwm up so that I have a light WM, so I can see that rxvt would be useful, but if I look at the development of it, it looks very old.

Just because it is old, it does not mean to say it is not useful. Heck, look at Xterm -- that's really old, but do you ever stop using that?

tmske wrote:

nevertheless I will give it a try, what version should I use, just the regular ebuild?

If you want transparency. I'd use aterm.

-- Thomas Adam
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
tmske wrote:

Just because it is old, it does not mean to say it is not useful. Heck, look at Xterm -- that's really old, but do you ever stop using that?

tmske wrote:

If you want transparency. I'd use aterm.

-- Thomas Adam

You're absbsolutly right,
Do you know a good place with some config files for rxvt?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
You're absbsolutly right,
Do you know a good place with some config files for rxvt?

In what way? The only "config" file for rxvt would be via one's ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources file --- what is it you're trying to do?

-- Thomas Adam
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's indeed .Xdefaults I use to change the things, but I found some urxvt configs myself. (but if you know any good places for changing .Xdefaults, I love to know)

Also, I found why ncmpc ate my cpu. I tried the command (Eterm -n test -e ncmpc) in a terminal and killed it with ctr+c, the terminal was killed but ncmpc stayed open, so this wasn't the correct way of closing it :)

Code:
Style *ncmpc* StartsOnPage 3 1 0, SkipMapping, !Borders

sets ncmpc on the correct page, but doesn't do the no borders, and

Edit: my mistake, I meant: NoTitle, so this works
Code:
+ I ThisWindow (*Gvim*|*Sylpheed*|*KOrganizer*|"Firefox-bin"|*ncmpc*, !Maximized) Maximize

doesn't set it maximized (with the module and so, but it does work for the others)
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am testing more it looks like maximize function does not work correctly

I have:

Code:
DestroyModuleConfig FE-max: *
*FE-max: Cmd Function
*FE-max: add_window fvwmMax

DestroyFunc myMax
AddToFunc   myMax
+ I ThisWindow (*gvim*|*Sylpheed*|*KOrganizer*|"Firefox-bin"|*ncmpc*, !Maximized) Maximize

And for testing in restart
Code:
DestroyFunc RestartFunction
AddToFunc RestartFunction
+ I Module FvwmEvent FE-max

What is wrong with this
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
As I am testing more it looks like maximize function does not work correctly

I have:

Code:
DestroyModuleConfig FE-max: *
*FE-max: Cmd Function
*FE-max: add_window fvwmMax

DestroyFunc myMax
AddToFunc   myMax
+ I ThisWindow (*gvim*|*Sylpheed*|*KOrganizer*|"Firefox-bin"|*ncmpc*, !Maximized) Maximize

Your quoting:

Code:
+ I ThisWindow ("*gvim*|*Sylpheed*|*KOrganizer*|Firefox-bin|*ncmpc*", !Maximized) Maximize

Of course, I would perhaps be more specific, rather than using "*gvim*" as this might surprise you.

-- Thomas Adam

Last edited by ThomasAdam on Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

changed it, but I don't see any difference.

so do work but gvim and ncmpc work not
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmske wrote:
changed it, but I don't see any difference.

so do work but gvim and ncmpc work not

When you start ncmpc -- are you ensuring that the title of the terminal is set to ncmpc as well, as in:

Code:
+ I Exec exec xterm -T ncmpc -e ncmpc

... for instance?

-- Thomas Adam
tmske
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I use xprop to see: I have ncmpc in command, icon_name, name. So I believe this is correct, In gvim this is also the same so I don't believe that is the problem

Edit: solved my problem, it was a very stupid problem actually. I just used the wrong functionname and so the fvwmEvent didn't do anything
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people. This might be interesting for many of you, I have been playing with a new right click menu that I did, it is dinamic and configurable in the same fashion that you can configure the "Open with" option of the rox file manager (by simply adding links, scripts or whatever you want into a folder), it can be used in conjunction with some kind of device panel to simply play a dvd or explore it with GQview, or mc, or open a folder with xmms (so all tracks into the folder and subs will be added to the playlist) or whatever you want it to do instead. It also can auto-add and use icons. Nothing great but too handy.

More info here: http://fvwm.lair.be/viewtopic.php?t=1003&highlight=
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have been trying to get rid of some fullscreen issues. Using
Code:
xpdf -fullscreen file.pdf

still leaves me with a border around the fullscreen window. Same thing with Openoffice Impress in fullscreen mode.

For xpdf I can use
Code:
Style Xpdf Notitle, HandleWidth 0

but then I have not border to resize the window in not-fullscreen mode.

For ooimpress not even this worked. I could not find the command to use in "Style COMMAND". Things listed in
Code:
ps ax

did not work.

And there is another thing: I want to get rid of the border of blender completely.
Code:
Style blender NoTitle, HandleWidth 0

doesn't seem to do it.

Thanks for any help!
R!tman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Scrolling viewport and desktop icons Reply with quote

I was wondering if its possible to have scrolling desktops or the current page to act as a viewport onto one huge desktop with smooth sliding pixelwise movement between desktops (rather a sudden switch).

Eg. Bring your mouse to the bottom right corner edge, visiblle objects - icons and windows start to move north west as you drag the mouse against the south-east edge, your background - say, a map of your neighbourhood 2400x1800 moves under the pointer. Windows move across your screen.

I was thinking some new module may be required? I guess you grab all the windows and have them move on each edge event. But what about the background?

Am I alone in this?
bobobo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be able to resize a window using a keyboard shortcut, for exemple SomeKey would increase the width of a window by 100 pixels. However it seems the Resize command doesn't allow relative resizing (ie changing the size of a window relatively to its current size, rather than setting an absolute size). Is there a simple way to do this ? Or do I have to use some weird workaround using an environment variable to store the current window size ? The Move command for exemple permits relative movements by adding a + or - sign in front of the number (such as move +10 +10).
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Eh? Reply with quote

Code:

# Resize a window
Key Right    A 1C Resize br w+5 w+0
Key Left     A 1C Resize br w-5 w+0
Key Up       A 1C Resize br w+0 w-5
Key Down     A 1C Resize br w+0 w+5

Ctrl Alt Right Arrow to widen by 5...
bobobo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you :) it wasn't mentionned in the resize section of the man pages
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Scrolling viewport and desktop icons Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
I was wondering if its possible to have scrolling desktops or the current page to act as a viewport onto one huge desktop with smooth sliding pixelwise movement between desktops (rather a sudden switch).

Eg. Bring your mouse to the bottom right corner edge, visiblle objects - icons and windows start to move north west as you drag the mouse against the south-east edge, your background - say, a map of your neighbourhood 2400x1800 moves under the pointer. Windows move across your screen.

I was thinking some new module may be required? I guess you grab all the windows and have them move on each edge event. But what about the background?

Am I alone in this?

No. EdgeScroll does the panning. (Still working on the background).

(@confused: - yes, you do end up talking to yourself if you use fvwm long enough)
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Scrolling viewport and desktop icons Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
No. EdgeScroll does the panning. (Still working on the background).

Search the fvwm-workers mailing-list -- I recall a patch sent to it that allowed for smooth (animated?) panning like you're describing. You ought also to look here for some ideas:

http://dataspill.org/posts/show/17

A slight tangent, perhaps.

-- Thomas Adam
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Scrolling viewport and desktop icons Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
You ought also to look here for some ideas:

http://dataspill.org/posts/show/17

A slight tangent, perhaps.

-- Thomas Adam

I'm not exactly sure what the guy is talkign about with "The Village", but it sounds cool. I wish I could see what the heck he is excited about!
cubancigar11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am terribly sorry for not reading the thread completely but I am very busy and I don't get hold of Internet too often. So any one please give me the configration file to make FVWM look like openbox or blackbox! I also have blackbox but it suxs.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 19 of 24

Jump to: