ThomasAdam wrote:

Look at:

Code:

MoveToPage
MoveToDesk

in 'man fvwm'.

-- Thomas Adam

thanks for that!
I was just going through the manpages on fvwm.org, and I just stumbled on those 2 commands...
I made my post 30 seconds too early apparently :)

still thanks for the info m8!!!!
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<delurk>
The third part. "Some of them must be fools to talk about such an old wm like fvwm more than 3 Sentences." that was my point of view until now. I've just a pentibum 3 with 735 MHz and kde needs 25 Seconds from pressing enter in kdm to give me some icons to click on. Well, I emerged fvwm, fvwm-themes and fvwm-themes-extra and spent some hours to find a solution why kdm did'nt start fvwm. Well, what shall I say? kde needs 25 Seconds. fvwm needs ten percent of this time to give me a gui.

Now there are many problems to solve (like editing background for the osx theme oder change netscape to firefox and many other things). But I think: you got me. I need a solution for the near future to emerge Gentoo on a 233 MHZ Thinkpad. kde there isn't the answer, it is just the question, and the answer must be "no!". fvwm looks quite fine and useable. If I understand how to manage my problems before I am 65 years old (I am now 38 years old) then fvwm could be the solution for me and my old machines (900 MHz is the fastest CPU here. Why not? I am not running windows, for what do I need a penis replacement in form of a brand new 3 GHz machine?

To all you out there: thanks, thanks, thanks. I have to thank you very, very much for opening my eyes to notice an alternative to kde (which, since 3.4, makes very ugly things like no system sound and many other things).

Ralph
</delurk>
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkaerner wrote:
Now there are many problems to solve (like editing background for the osx theme oder change netscape to firefox and many other things). But I think: you got me. I need a solution for the near future to emerge Gentoo on a 233 MHZ Thinkpad. kde there isn't the answer, it is just the question, and the answer must be "no!". fvwm looks quite fine and useable. If I understand how to manage my problems before I am 65 years old (I am now 38 years old) then fvwm could be the solution for me and my old machines (900 MHz is the fastest CPU here. Why not? I am not running windows, for what do I need a penis replacement in form of a brand new 3 GHz machine?

Quite. I've been running Fvwm on a P166 with 32MB of RAM for _years_ now.

-- Thomas Adam.
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
Quite. I've been running Fvwm on a P166 with 32MB of RAM for _years_ now.

Marry me! You should give me all the answers I need (okay, that was just a joke)

thanks for the confirmation that fvwm is not the worst choice on a slow machine. I'm sure that I can ask any question here without losing ears or head if I don't find the solution by myself.

Ralph
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, so here we are with the first question:

I played a while with the .fvwm2rc from taviso. My config looks like that in the moment (I want to do anything step by step, so if one thing works, I try the next):
Code:

####
# The simple try to get my own fvwm look'n'feel
########

####
# let's start
########
DestroyFunc StartFunction
AddToFunc StartFunction
 + I Test (Init) Exec exec fvwm-root --dither --retain-pixmap $[fvwm_wallpaper]
 + I Module FvwmEvent
 + I Test (Restart) All (Iconic) Test (f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png) WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png

DestroyFunc InitFunction
AddToFunc InitFunction
 + I Nop

DestroyFunc RestartFunction
AddToFunc RestartFunction
 + I Nop

DestroyFunc SessionInitFunction
AddToFunc SessionInitFunction
 + I Nop

DestroyFunc SessionRestartFunction
AddToFunc SessionRestartFunction
 + I Nop

DestroyFunc ExitFunction
AddToFunc ExitFunction
 + I Test (!ToRestart) Exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.*

####
# declare some pathes and variables
########

ImagePath ${HOME}/.fvmw/media/icons:+
SetEnv fvwm_home /home/test/.fvwm
SetEnv fvwm_wallpaper_dir $[fvwm_home]/media/backgrounds
SetEnv fvwm_wallpaper $[fvwm_wallpaper_dir]/gentoo-1.png

####
# application iconifying with screenshot as thumbnail
########

DestroyFunc Thumbnail
AddToFunc Thumbnail
 + I Raise
 + I ThisWindow (!Iconic) SetEnv Icon-$[w.id] $[w.iconfile]
 + I ThisWindow (!Shaded, Iconifiable, !Iconic) PipeRead \
  "xwd -silent -id $[w.id] | convert -scale 128 -frame 1x1 \
  -mattecolor black -quality 0 xwd:- png:$[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
  && echo WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
  || echo Nop"
 + I TestRc (Match) Test (f $[w.miniiconfile], f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png) PipeRead \
  "composite -geometry +2+4 $[w.miniiconfile] $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png \
  $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png; echo Nop"
 + I Iconify

DestroyFunc DeThumbnail
AddToFunc DeThumbnail
 + I PipeRead "echo Test \\(i \\$\\[Icon-$[w.id]\\]\\) WindowStyle Icon \\$\\[Icon-$[w.id]\\]"
 + I TestRc (NoMatch) WindowStyle NoIconOverride, Icon
 + I Exec rm -f $[FVWM_USERDIR]/icon.tmp.$[w.id].png
 + I All (Iconic, CurrentPage) PlaceAgain icon
 + I UnsetEnv Icon-$[w.id]

####
# miscellaneous module settings
########

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent: *
 *FvwmEvent: deiconify DeThumbnail

####
# mouse bindings
########

Mouse 0 6       A       Thumbnail

As you can see I just copied some code out of tavisos .fwvm2rc ... iconifying works fine. I got a thumbnail (a litte bit too big but that's changeable). But: I can't deiconfy. Not with doubleclick left mouse button, not with the right one, not with the middle one. So please give me a little hint: where get I lost in trying to understand how configuration works? Copying code can't be so difficult that I'm to dumb to do that.
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkaerner wrote:
Code:

Mouse 0 6       A       Thumbnail

As you can see I just copied some code out of tavisos .fwvm2rc ... iconifying works fine. I got a thumbnail (a litte bit too big but that's changeable). But: I can't deiconfy. Not with doubleclick left mouse button, not with the right one, not with the middle one. So please give me a little hint: where get I lost in trying to understand how configuration works? Copying code can't be so difficult that I'm to dumb to do that.

You need to tell FVWM that you want something to happen when you click on an icon, something like:

Code:

Mouse 2 I       A   Iconify

-- Thomas Adam.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since you're running on old hardware, I'd suggest (once you're done with everything else) looking into the little program written in C to create thumbnails... It's on the fvwm forums, though there is a link to it in this thread...
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:

You need to tell FVWM that you want something to happen when you click on an icon, something like:

Code:

*head@table* Seems that I forgot a very important thing... thanks a lot, now I'll play around with 'Mouse' for a while to understand what this does.

mirko_3 wrote:
Especially since you're running on old hardware, I'd suggest (once you're done with everything else) looking into the little program written in C to create thumbnails... It's on the fvwm forums, though there is a link to it in this thread...

If you're talking about 'thumb': that little program is not working on my computer. Don't know why, I have to search for the fault I made in compiling or changing the lines in tavisos thumbnailing. Thanks to you, too, for the hint. I found that little tool when I searched a solution for my Mouse problem.

Well, seems that it'll be a long way to go to have an own design...
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rkaerner wrote:
ThomasAdam wrote:

Code:

*head@table* Seems that I forgot a very important thing... thanks a lot, now I'll play around with 'Mouse' for a while to understand what this does.

The "Mouse" command is quite powerful -- but more importantly specific. After all, if you want something to happen when you click your mouse, FVWM is going to need to know what to do about it. The first parameter to the Mouse command is the actuall mouse button you want to press. You could use "1" which would be the left button (usually). You might also see a "0" (zero) as well -- and this denotes _any_ mouse button.

The second parameter is the conext -- that is, where the mouse is when you click it. There's lots of these -- and they're perhaps best described in the manpage for FVWM under the "mouse" section. Indeed, in this case, we're applying the context "I" for icon.

The third parameter is whether there's any modifiers to go with that. "A" means any modifier -- so holding down, Shift, or ALT, for instance will have no effect on the operation you're assiging to it. Which brings us to the fourth component....

The last parameter to the Mouse command is the action. This could be in the form of a command, or a function call for more complex things. But "iconfify" toggles itself. So if you click on an Icon, it will deiconify.

-- Thomas Adam.
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: boroshan Reply with quote

I started with Taviso's config. Boroshan's step-by-step guide is a n00b bible. He's even written a fvwm module in Perl to do thumbnails. Check the latter posts of this thread (volume 3). There's a forum too. fvwm.lair.be, I think.

I depended on Thomas Adam too. One of the first sites I found. (Thanks guys). This thread is enormous but. I read it all when it was in one part - now its how long? Is it the longest running gentoo thread? Can't help wondering.

As regards fvwm's lazarus effect on old boxen, I, certainly vouch. For I am the proud owner of an Advent 7255DVD laptop (bit of old Asus Coppermine tat rebranded by Dixons) on which fvwm used to start so quickly that initially I thought something had gone awry with the emerge. (I didn't realise somehow that you had to right click for a context menu) :oops

Benefits are multiple. You can emulate almost any other WM with fvwm, and then do more; your own desktop thumbnails, ring menus?. It should be XVWM. There's lot's to like: I even like how 'vwm' are next to each other on dvorak. (Hey - you type .fvwmrc a lot...)

Shameless fanboy.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've searched the manpage, but haven't found what I'm looking for: is there any way to have an app steal focus on a certain event (the app becomes visible when I press a key - I'm thinking about FvwmEvent)?
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: boroshan Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
I started with Taviso's config. Boroshan's step-by-step guide is a n00b bible. He's even written a fvwm module in Perl to do thumbnails. Check the latter posts of this thread (volume 3). There's a forum too. fvwm.lair.be, I think.

Indedd -- and there's, err, *many* more threads there, too. :)

hollerith wrote:

I depended on Thomas Adam too. One of the first sites I found. (Thanks guys). This thread is enormous but. I read it all when it was in one part - now its how long? Is it the longest running gentoo thread? Can't help wondering.

I must admit, you've piqued my curiosity slightly. I'm sure I haven't spoken to you in the past, so I'm curious how you have come to once depend on me... :)

hollerith wrote:

Benefits are multiple. You can emulate almost any other WM with fvwm, and then do more; your own desktop thumbnails, ring menus?. It should be XVWM. There's lot's to like: I even like how 'vwm' are next to each other on dvorak. (Hey - you type .fvwmrc a lot...)

Absolutely. The benefits of fvwm unintentionally being able to masquerade as other WMs has been of great benefit to not only fvwm, but users of the other WMs. What I tend to find more of interest are the idioms that people emulate from them, when using fvwm. There's a lot fvwm can learn in that respect...

-- Thomas Adam.

Last edited by ThomasAdam on Sat May 06, 2006 12:57 am; edited 3 times in total
ThomasAdam
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mirko_3 wrote:
I've searched the manpage, but haven't found what I'm looking for: is there any way to have an app steal focus on a certain event (the app becomes visible when I press a key - I'm thinking about FvwmEvent)?

Assuming the window is already open:

Code:

Key L  A  CM  SomeFunc

So that when you pressed CTRL-ALT-L, the following would happen:

Code:

AddToFunc SomeFunc
+ I Any (CurrentPage, AcceptsFocus) ThisWindow ("my name") FlipFocus

If the window you're wanting to launch isn't active, and you want to start it if it isn't already, you can use:

Code:

AddToFunc SomeFunc
+ I None ($0) Exec exec $0
+ I Wait $0
+ I Next ($0) FlipFocus

And call it thus:

Code:

Key L  A  CM  SomeFunc <myapp>

Hope that's not too confusing.

-- Thomas Adam.
mirko_3
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank, it seems I hadn't seen the FlipFocus command in the manpage...
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I need your help once more, please.

There are - at the moment - just two simple problems.
The first is my bad knowledge about the english language. That's why I can't solve the second problem.
http://www.kaerner.net/fvwmscreen.jpg shows you a screenshot of my 'testbase' (just learning by doing, as usual for me).
xmms could not be iconified by taking a snapshot (I am still using tavisos thumbnail and it works fine). I thought that I could solve this about a defined icon (just a handmade snapshot of xmms with gimp or something like that), but I could not find a solution. The second thing is that a don't want to have any title at the bottom of the snapshots. I just want to have the snapshots, they are title enough for me.

Anybody out there who can help me?
hollerith
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: boroshan Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:
I'm sure I haven't spoken to you in the past, so I'm curious how you have come to once depend on me...
-- Thomas Adam.

Ah yes, sorry that's quite true - we haven't at all in actual fact. I've posted dumb questions (see much of this thread) and you provided answers or perhaps to somebody else. I hadn't realised.

@R: I was thinking exactly the same thing vis-a-vis thumbnails! I especially hate the way the subtitle expands to the full titlebar text when you hover on a thumbnail. Isn't there an icon 'notitle'? Maybe Boro's FvwmThumbnail could do the trick (or be patched)?
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My windowbar buttons can't be pressed, am I doing something wrong? (The lines that should make them work are in 'global stuff')
Code:

#====================================
# Paths
#       SetEnv datadir $[HOME]
        ImagePath $[datadir]/Media/Icons:+
        ImagePath $[datadir]/Media/Backgrounds:+

# Global stuff
        Style "*" MinOverlapPlacement
        Style "*" BorderWidth 2, HandleWidth 2
        Mouse 1 1 N Close
        Mouse 1 4 N Iconify
        Mouse 1 2 N Maximize

# Startup function
        AddToFunc StartFunction
        #====== Set background
        + I Exec exec fvwm-root --retain-pixmap ~/Media/Backgrounds/Current.png
        #====== Nvidia-setting
        + I Exec exec nvidia-settings -l
        #====== FVWM Buttons
        + I Module FvwmButtons FvwmButtons-Panel
        #====== AutoRaise
        + I Module FvwmAuto 600

# FVWM Buttons
        style "FvwmButtons-Panel" NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, handlewidth 0, sticky, StaysOnTop
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: Columns 1

*FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'www.png'        Action(Mouse 1) 'exec exec opera')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'terminal.png'   Action(Mouse 1) 'exec exec aterm')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'quit.png'       Action(Mouse 1) 'Module FvwmForm FvwmForm-QuitVerify', Action(Mouse 3) 'restart')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: (Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 0")

# FVWM Pager
        *FvwmPager: Font "none"
        *FvwmPager: Back "none"
InfinityX
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made a new script, this time for fully dynamic menus, ordering applications by popularity!

You can download it here. It's still very early, and if you don't have a good understanding of MySQL I wouldn't bother downloading it, at this stage all the database manipulation is manual (I've included a sample sql file to help out though).

EDIT: Moved to FVWM forum.

Last edited by InfinityX on Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I exited FVWM and when I started it again, My FVWM-Buttons didn't show the Icons!!!
theBlackDragon
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordMyth wrote:
My windowbar buttons can't be pressed, am I doing something wrong? (The lines that should make them work are in 'global stuff')
Code:

# Paths
#       SetEnv datadir $[HOME]
        ImagePath $[datadir]/Media/Icons:+
        ImagePath $[datadir]/Media/Backgrounds:+

# Global stuff
        Style "*" MinOverlapPlacement
        Style "*" BorderWidth 2, HandleWidth 2
        Mouse 1 1 N Close
        Mouse 1 4 N Iconify
        Mouse 1 2 N Maximize

# Startup function
        AddToFunc StartFunction
        #====== Set background
        + I Exec exec fvwm-root --retain-pixmap ~/Media/Backgrounds/Current.png
        #====== Nvidia-setting
        + I Exec exec nvidia-settings -l
        #====== FVWM Buttons
        + I Module FvwmButtons FvwmButtons-Panel
        #====== AutoRaise
        + I Module FvwmAuto 600

# FVWM Buttons
        style "FvwmButtons-Panel" NoTitle, BorderWidth 0, handlewidth 0, sticky, StaysOnTop
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: Columns 1

*FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'www.png'        Action(Mouse 1) 'exec exec opera')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'terminal.png'   Action(Mouse 1) 'exec exec aterm')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: ( 1x1 Icon 'quit.png'       Action(Mouse 1) 'Module FvwmForm FvwmForm-QuitVerify', Action(Mouse 3) 'restart')
        *FvwmButtons-Panel: (Swallow "FvwmPager" "FvwmPager 0 0")

# FVWM Pager
        *FvwmPager: Font "none"
        *FvwmPager: Back "none"

You wouldn't by accident be using Num Lock (or some other 'lock key') while using this binding? If you do then you'll either have to replace 'Mouse 1 1 N Close' by something like 'Mouse 1 1 A Close' or use the IgnoreModifiers function.
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh... If I use xcompmgr, I can't go to my other desktop parts by pushing the desktop border, it still works if I drag a window while pushing... Any solutions to this?
Hmm... it seems to work sometimes, I think right after I start xcompmgr...
[EDIT]
It doesn't get solved when I kill xcompmgr...
Oh, just found out that it works after I restart FVWM. But it would be a bit stupid to call the rstart function from the init function or so...
[EDIT]
It really works when I put "+ I 'restart'" in the InitFunction!! But that's no real solution in fact...
rkaerner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: boroshan Reply with quote

hollerith wrote:
@R: I was thinking exactly the same thing vis-a-vis thumbnails! I especially hate the way the subtitle expands to the full titlebar text when you hover on a thumbnail. Isn't there an icon 'notitle'? Maybe Boro's FvwmThumbnail could do the trick (or be patched)?

Okay, another thing solved, one open.
Code:
Style   *       NoIconTitle

did it, so thanks for the right hint. The other thing (using handmade thumbnails for programs that could not be thumbnailed by taviso's thumbnail) is just unsolved.
ag_x
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: boroshan Reply with quote

ThomasAdam wrote:

The benefits of fvwm unintentionally being able to masquerade as other WMs has been of great benefit to not only fvwm, but users of the other WMs. What I tend to find more of interest are the idioms that people emulate from them, when using fvwm. There's a lot fvwm can learn in that respect...

True.
I am a long time ratpoison user,i am use it for over a year right now.
Since last night i started to play with fvwm and i have to say that i am very impressed with it.I managed to do (almost) the same things i did with Ratpoison,plus much more.I mean there is no easy way to work with gimp,for an example,in RP.
The popup windows function is great!Ratpoison has something similar,you can do for example,to invoke with a binding,a script to control the soundcard's channels and prompts you for a value.

Just one thing.
In Ratpoison,you have the ability to split the screen in 2 equal tiled windows,almost the same way that GNU Screen does(for them that are not familiar with RP).
Is this possible with a way in fvwm?
aidy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... would be quite easy to maximise in only one half of a desktop (part), but make them behave as two different desktops is another story AFAIK.
Darkael
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: boroshan Reply with quote

rkaerner wrote:
The other thing (using handmade thumbnails for programs that could not be thumbnailed by taviso's thumbnail) is just unsolved.

My initial idea was to propose to just do something like:
Code:

Style xmms IconOverride, Icon path/to/your/handmade/icon.png

However, I tried that, and it seems that xmms replaces the icon with its own icon after the second iconification (i.e. it ignores IconOverride or something like that). So I came up with this solution instead, which is slightly more complex:
Code:

AddToFunc StartFunction
+ I Module FvwmEvent

DestroyModuleConfig FvwmEvent:*
*FvwmEvent: iconify ForceThumbnailIcon
*FvwmEvent: deiconify RemoveState

DestroyFunc ForceThumbnailIcon
AddToFunc ForceThumbnailIcon
+ I ThisWindow (xmms, !State 1) WindowStyle IconOverride, Icon path/to/your/handmade/icon.png
+ I TestRc (Match) State 1 true

DestroyFunc RemoveState
AddToFunc RemoveState
+ I State 1 false

I used a State command because without it an iconify loop is created and the icon blinks.
If you already have a function bound to deiconify in FvwmEvent, just add the "+ I State 1 false" line to it and remove the RemoveState function.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: