View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zorack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:11 pm    Post subject: TWM and KDE problem Reply with quote

hi, Just Finished Installing Gentoo With KDE, have had to use XDM as have been having troubles with KDM, But when i login using XDM its goes straight TWM instead of KDE, i can run kde in twm using the startkde command but it is a nuisance for me and i would prefer it to go straight to kde. Can Anybody help - would be greatly appreicated, thanks

Zorack
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll probably want to edit your $HOME/.xsession file to include the line startkde. Oh and twm rules 8)
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have DISPLAYMANAGER="kdm" set in /etc/rc.conf?

EDIT: Wrong problem, I mean, do you have XSESSION="kde-3.4" in /etc/rc.conf?
Zorack
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

na it dident work, im still very :?
gmwest5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi any body who can help, i am a friend of zoracks, he is using kde-3.2.2 and i have already gone through the rc.conf with DISPLAYMANAGER parts and the XSESSION parts, we have put startkde in the /.xinitrc although havnt done the .xsession file. although the forum may say i am a nOOb, i have 2 years full experience in linux and am taking my linux+ soon, and i have been a partner and one of the head developers in the DebXPde / Barnix Distrobution http://www.westnold-developments.uk.tt and http://www.barnix-forum.cjb.net.

This has also stumped me :?, i advised him to come on these forums to see what is going, on as far as i know he hasnt missed anything in the installation as i went throught most of it with him and we used the instructions.

Any body who can help it would be grately appreictated and you can go really technical as i should be able to understand it.

Michael West
ekutay
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to add the startkde statement in your .xinitrc.

Code:
rm "$HOME"/.xinitrc && touch  "$HOME"/.xinitrc && echo "exec startkde" >> "$HOME"/.xinitrc

papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$HOME/.xinitrc is used when you start your WM form the command line via the startx command. $HOME/.xsession is parsed when you login graphically via xdm. You may want to put the full path to the startkde command as well...
kiker99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use gdm and I have the same problem here. I alway need to chose manually that I want kde, if I just hit Enter, he says, "gnome could not be found" an then twm is started.

papal_authority wrote:
$HOME/.xinitrc is used when you start your WM form the command line via the startx command. $HOME/.xsession is parsed when you login graphically via xdm. You may want to put the full path to the startkde command as well...

Didn't change anything for me. $HOME/.xinitrc and $HOME/.xsession both contain now "exec /usr/kde/3.4/bin/startkde". Do they need a "chmod +x"? What can be the reason that the computer is trying to start gnome? Any other Config Files?

Thanks in Advance,
Andre
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The $HOME/.xsession and $HOME/.xinitrc files just need to be readable by you (I use 0644 for both files). AFAIK, gdm doesn't use $HOME/.xsession, it uses its own files. There's been quite a few threads about it if you search, I just can't remember where they're stored.
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiker99 wrote:
I use gdm and I have the same problem here. I alway need to chose manually that I want kde, if I just hit Enter, he says, "gnome could not be found" an then twm is started.

papal_authority wrote:

Didn't change anything for me. $HOME/.xinitrc and $HOME/.xsession both contain now "exec /usr/kde/3.4/bin/startkde". Do they need a "chmod +x"? What can be the reason that the computer is trying to start gnome? Any other Config Files?

Thanks in Advance,
Andre

GDM has it's own selection system for what WM/DE to run so it doesn't take any notice of .xsession. I can't remember the name of the button, but you click on it and you have radio button selection of what to login to.

Cheers,
James
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: