What "is" the score with XMMS.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: What "is" the score with XMMS. Reply with quote

Okay, they appear to have broken XMMS. I've been using it for the last 3 or 4 years and recently, one after another bugs have appeared. Right now, I have...

Some mp3s skip left right and center.
Some streams dont play at all.
EQ first stopped working on all but MP3s, then stopped working at all.

I've looked and I have the most recent version.

Then I looked on the web and found many other people with similar problems... XMMS is broken threads everywhere. Then I read that the development of XMMS has pretty much ground to a halt . :(

So... I looked in portage for an older (working) version and didn't find one.

Can anyone suggest a replacement until XMMS resumes development or a portage overlay to get an older "working" version?

Sorry if this has been discussed before at length, just point me there. Thanks.
gwolf
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried beep-media-player?
vvlly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: xmms-mpg123 Reply with quote

Do you have media-plugins/xmms-mpg123 installed? media-plugins/xmms-mad? I am not sure when it was, a month or two ago maybe, I couldn't play shoutcast stations anymore. It turned out that portage had upgraded xmms and when it did, the mpg123 decoder wasn't included anymore. I did have xmms-mad from the mad use flag, but it doesn't seem to work for streams. I emerge media-plugins/xmms-mpg123, disabled the mad decoder in xmms and everything was working fine again.
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I sorted the streams (well most of them) by installing xmms-mpg123

Found that with the search on these forumns.

It's just generally that XMMS seams to have broken down, and no-one cares! It's just not the way things have been before. There are few alternatives, so I'm assuming the community will rise to it eventually, just surprised it's taking so long. I'd love to help, but not too dab a hand with C yet.

I found a replacement EQ for the non-functioning default, it's not ideal, ... well it's better than the default, but, more time consuming and less, click and go. I like the original one :(
Barnoid
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow gwolf's advice and try Beep media player. It's a XMMS fork, based on GTK+2 and works like a charm.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: