Question on 64-bit vs 32-bit libraries
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahadir
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Question on 64-bit vs 32-bit libraries Reply with quote

Hi,

If I want to run a pre-compiled 32-bit x86 executable that I got off the web, and if it complains about not finding some 32-bit shared libraries that I have the 64-bit versions of, what should I do?

The two libraries I need are libncurses.so.5 and libX11.so.6. Now if I put the 32-bit versions into /lib32 and showed the executable those, would it be a problem, since I'm running 64-bit X11?

Also why are we able to readily run 64-bit and 32-bit executables at the same time? Don't you need a mode change in the processor to do that?

Thanks,
Bahadir
GJtje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like they run at the same time, your processor can only do one thing at a time. There are many processes running and every now and then a thing called context switch takes place which means the current process is removed from the cpu and another one is moved on to the cpu and then the cpu runs that process. So, then the cpu can also switch from 32 bit to 64 bit mode.

Maybe you need to emerge some of the emulation packages, like emul-linux-x86-xlibs to run it. Also sometimes making a symlink to another version helps.
Corona688
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the 32-bit versions are available and in paths it looks in, it can use them. When netscape-flash wanted some bizzare glibc++ variant I didn't have, I just stole one from a redhat RPM.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: