Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Jackass! 2005.0 Support Group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call, Sith. :wink:

Although this isn't a problem with the Jackass! Toolkit per se, it is an artifact of the fact that the Jackass! Toolkit does use -O3 optimization. Occasionally, the user can expect to encounter an ebuild that will not compile with -O3 optimization, and when that happens, compiling with -O2 may be your only option.

Normally, when an ebuild maintainer will learn that their ebuild breaks under -O3, they will add a flag replacing statement to the ebuild so that it is built with -O2 rather than -O3. By doing this, the ebuild maintainer effectively fixes the problem with -O3 breaking their ebuild, without forcing you to de-optimize your entire system just because you want to use their ebuild.

In the case where -O3 breaks an ebuild, you need to notify the ebuild maintainer that their package is broken. If their package breaks with -O3 optimizations, then they need to do some flag filtering in their ebuild. This should definitely go into a bug report for that piece of software. Its a problem that needs to be fixed.

Optimally, the fix will entail solving the problem that leads to botched -O3 compilation, but if the ebuild maintainer can't fix the problem, many of them choose the easy way out and resort to flag filtration, replacing -O3 with -O2.

Last edited by Bob P on Sun May 15, 2005 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another point -- that RedHat Bugzilla report that you linked to mentions the fact that their problem was caused by insufficient swap space. -O3 optimizations require significantly more memory than -O2 optimizations. so if someone is running on a machine that has marginal memory or marginal swap, then they should consider adding more memory or more swap to their system. in such a situation its entirely possible that the problem is not with an ebuild, and that the problem is caused by an insufficient memory configuration to be using -O3 optimization. :idea:
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand this is the support thread, but I had to find a place to voice my absolute satisfaction in Jackass. Working great on both a P4 and an old pentium. Very nice CFLAG selections too. Thanks for putting this together Bob and all others involved, it's a nice susbstitute for the tedious Stage 1/3 installation.
carpman
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, see mention of hielvc's or minderaser's update scripts but unable to find them, can someone point me right direction?

PS well done on great install method, do have problem with partition / not loading on boot but believe this not Jackass issue but a udev or misconfig on my part.
SATA Areca 1210 Raid
BFG OC2 8800 GTS 640mb
--------------------------------
Notebook
Samsung Q45 7100 4gb
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carpman wrote:
Hello, see mention of hielvc's or minderaser's update scripts but unable to find them, can someone point me right direction?

"An Emerge Wrapper for Correctly Building the Toolchain", in Unsupported Software.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-282474.html
tcostigl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if this is the right place but here goes. How well will Jackass work starting from scratch with a hardened installation (specifically SELinux). I know I will have to use the hardened tool-chain. Is there any other conerns you can think of? Any chance of a Hardened-Jackass project popping up? Is it even worth it?
tcostigl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additioanlly, any Jackass IRC channels pop up yet?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcostigl wrote:
All you Jackesses in real time? :? Thats just too much Jackass for me. :wink:
rbiswarup
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installing Jackass! from hard drive Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
rbiswarup wrote:
Is it possible to install the iso image contents to a hard drive partition and install Jackass! booting from this partition? I don't have a cd-burner but would like to have Jackass! anyway.

from a practical standpoint, no. short of de-constructing the ISO image, there's no way to get the tarball. we are not publishing individual tarballs, so you are dependent upon getting hold of a CD.

People have reported to have installed gentoo 2005.0 using the installation CD iso by faking a hdd partion for a CD drive.It's quite easy.It involves copying the installation CD ISO contents on a hard drive partition, configuring Grub following the isolinux.cfg, and changing the cdroot option to /dev/hda_x.
Here is the detailed method - http://marc.herbert.free.fr/linux/win2linstall.html#gentoo.
The beauty of this method is that the hdd partition behaves exactlly like the install CD.So if this method is followed no compromises have to be made regarding the installation procedure.
I have tried this with Jackass! but no matter how I configured Grub it didn't work.
Would someone help me to configure the Grub?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcostigl wrote:
I dont know if this is the right place but here goes. How well will Jackass work starting from scratch with a hardened installation (specifically SELinux). I know I will have to use the hardened tool-chain. Is there any other conerns you can think of? Any chance of a Hardened-Jackass project popping up? Is it even worth it?

this isn't really a question about whether or not Jackass! will work with SELinux. its really a question about whether or not the hardened version of GCC 3.4.3 works properly or not. if you review the Stage 1/3 Installation Guide threads, you'll find that hardened GCC 3.4.3 is broken, and that the Stage 1/3 Installation Method does not support the use of hardened GCC 3.4.3.

insofar as Jackass! was designed to provide a pre-compiled Stage 1/3 Install for the x86 platforms, Jackass! is subject to the same limitations that GCC 3.4.3 imposes upon the Stage 1/3 install -- hardened GCC 3.4.3 is broken.

if security is your concern, Jackass! won't cause a kernel problem for you. you can use the GRSecurity kernel if you like. Sith has tested that with the Jackass! Toolkit and it works fine. in fact, you should be able to use any of the hardened kernels without any problems

unfortunately, hardened GCC 3.4.3 remains broken. if you want to use a hardened version of GCC, you can't use GCC 3.4.3. and since Jackass! is built upon GCC 3.4.3, hardened GCC and the Jackass! Project are mutually exclusive.

to answer your final question, no, we have no intention of building SE-Jackass! -- Jackass! was optimized for speed with GCC 3.4.3, not for security enhanced installations. personally, i don't think that this is a real problem, as optimizing for speed/reliability and optimizing for security are entirely different goals.

Last edited by Bob P on Tue May 17, 2005 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
tcostigl wrote:

All you Jackesses in real time? :? Thats just too much Jackass for me. :wink:

i am spending enough time maintaining my part of the system, recruiting mirrors, and answering support requests that i just don't have time to spend 24/7 monitoring an IRC channel. believe it or not, i do have a life outside of gentoo!

practically speaking, jackass! is not at all different behaviorally from gentoo. so for n00bs with problems that amount to needing help with basic gentoo installation methods -- ie: they have problems that are not specifically related to the Jackass! Toolkit -- i'd recommend looking into the Installing Gentoo forum or the Gentoo irc channels.

the same could be said for n00bs having grub problems -- check the Sticky Grub Thread in the Installing Gentoo Forum, or go to the gentoo IRC channels. :idea:

finally, although the idea of faking a HDD partition as if it were a CD-ROM drive is an interesting idea, that falls into the realm of UNSUPPORTED installation methods. sorry. :(
rbiswarup
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Bob.I have done it! It's really thrilling to boot into the fake Jackass "Install CD".:D.Your assertion that it is not a Jackass! specific problem gave me enough confidence to go ahead and do it correctly.In case someone is interested this is my Grub setting:
title Jackass!_Install_CD
root (hd0,6)
kernel /isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs udev nodevfs cdroot=/dev/hda7 initrd=/isolinux/gentoo.igz
Finally,I won't bother you on this forum if I have problems later on because this is an unsupported install method. :)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbiswarup wrote:
In case someone is interested this is my Grub setting:

Code:
title Jackass!_Install_CD
root (hd0,6)
kernel /isolinux/gentoo  root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/livecd.squashfs udev nodevfs  cdroot=/dev/hda7         initrd=/isolinux/gentoo.igz

well, i have to admit, i think that this is a very cool solution to the problem of not having a CD burner! 8)

in fairness to you for being so industrious, i don't think its fair for us to say that we won't support you at all just because you chose a novel method of booting the Install CD. now that you've got the Jackass! Install CD environment up and running, you can follow the installation manual and extract the tarball. as long as you can complete the recommended steps in the installation manual, such as copying resolv.conf, mounting proc, mtab, etc., i don't think that you'll run into any problems. it looks like you'll have a supported install after all. :wink:

thanks for posting that novel method of booting from the .ISO image without burning a CD. that is just too cool. 8)

edit: ok, technically you're using a loopback device to mount the .ISO image, and extracting the files from the mounted folder to an HD partition, but you still get the idea. :wink:

Last edited by Bob P on Wed May 18, 2005 4:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JACKASS! MIRRORS WANTED!

If anyone is interested in acting as a public distribution mirror for Jackass!, please contact me by PM.

basically, we need people with nice fat pipes that can host about 1.2 GB of files. our Jackass! Project home page will be the front end for the system, and a mirror page on our site will direct users to their choice of mirror.

there are all sorts of details that would need to be met to become a mirror, mostly related to technical aspects of file hosting, agreements not to post ads on the mirrors, making all of the files available to the public and not just to subscribers, etc.

please send me a PM if you're interested.

Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob_P:

is there a special reason that u build the kernel in the matter:
Code:
# make && make modules && make modules_install && make install
While in the Gentoo Linux Kernel Upgrade Guide an other method is used, namely:
Code:
# make && make modules_install
# mount /boot
# cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-2.6.9-gentoo-r2
# cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.9-gentoo-r2
Is "your" method the same as the one in the gentoo-doc's but just less to type?
Or is there a difference?
And which method is the better one to use then?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the make && make modules && make modules_install, I suppose you could say it's for debugging reasons. Personally, I use make && make modules_install, which does the same thing. As far as make install, I don't use it. Basically what it does is copies the bzImage and the System.map to your boot partition, and I belive gives them names based off of the source name (although it could just plop them there as bzImage and System.map). Of course you should mount your boot partition if you have one before running make install, otherwise it will plop them in the /boot on your root partition. I like to copy the files manually though, because I usually give them unique names based of their configuration. That and I just don't trust a machine to do a man's job. :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Basically what it does is copies the bzImage and the System.map to your boot partition, and I belive gives them names based off of the source name (although it could just plop them there as bzImage and System.map).

yes, it copies the kernel, system.map, and configuration file to the /boot partition. it uses the full name of the kernel, the System.map, and the config file. it also creates symlinks to shortened names, ie: vmlinuz, System.map and config. In addition, it creates backups of all of the files and symlinks that would have been over-written. Its a great timesaver, and I've never understood why the Gentoo kernel guys don't use it. :?

I also like to give my files unique names. In cases like that, its very easy to just create a symlink to the file. :idea:

As you can see, make install saves you an awful lot of tedious typing.

Sith_Happens wrote:
... That and I just don't trust a machine to do a man's job. :wink:

This definition is provided courtesy of dictionary.com:

Quote:
Luddite n.

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.

2. One who opposes technical or technological change.

:wink:

Last edited by Bob P on Wed May 18, 2005 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
Quote:
Luddite [i]n.[/n]

1. Any of a group of British workers who between 1811 and 1816 rioted and destroyed laborsaving textile machinery in the belief that such machinery would diminish employment.

:wink:
Bob, don't be so harsh! Be like fonzy: 8)

And on the topic:
thx for the comment's about the build-method. I didn't know which one to choose and know i do.
Bob's way is very easy, and it still has the advantages Ryan mentioned.
I'm sensing a win-win-situation here.:)
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, cool like fonzy. 8) i think that everyone appreciated that it was said tongue-in-cheek.

regarding the win-win situation, yeah -- that's exactly why i've been doing it that way for so long. "make install" preserves everything that you need to preserve, and saves alot of idle typing. interestingly, i've spoken to some of the Gentoo kernel devs, and they never use "make install". needless to say, i was surprised to hear that!
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
Luddite n.

European History flashback. :? If I have to create another forum login, I'm calling it Luddite. :wink:
tcostigl
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daring question here... Since everything is being rebuilt is it safe to change CHOST after installing the stage3 tarball? I know jackass has stages for most sub-archs but lets assume i want to use a generic x86 stage then upgrade to chost to i686.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcostigl wrote:
Daring question here... Since everything is being rebuilt is it safe to change CHOST after installing the stage3 tarball? I know jackass has stages for most sub-archs but lets assume i want to use a generic x86 stage then upgrade to chost to i686.
The Jackass! tarballs are for a stage 3 type installation, that is you install it, configure it, and build a kernel. You need to look at the Stage 1/3 install if you want to change CHOSTs from a generic x86 stage (Jackass! doesn't even have a generic x86 stage). You could, assuming you are using a machine that is backwards compatible to the seed stage, take a Jackass! stage, change the CHOST and run emerge -e system && emerge -e world to recompile your entire system with the new CHOST. Niether of these are Jackass! installs however, so if you end up doing a Stage 1/3, post support requests in the appropriate support topic. If you do the install procedure I outlined above and run into trouble, create a new post. Best of luck. :)
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcostigl wrote:

IIRC, the Gentoo installation manual specifically forbids changing the CHOST provided in stage 3 tarballs; other Stage 1 tarballs require altering the CHOST to something appropriate, but since the Jackass! tarballs behave the same way as the Gentoo tarballs, I wouldn't recommend it, as the entire contents have been built according to the specific CHOST.

Basically, I would strongly urge you not to change the CHOST in an attempt to upgrade; if nothing else, I'd think you'd want to do a minimum 4 to 6 recompiles to get everything properly rebuilt, which more or less defeats the point of Jackass! I suggest that instead of upgrading an existing system, you install a fresh Jackass! tarball that meets your requirements, or if nothing else, head over to the 2005.0 Stage 1/3 thread.

HTH.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tcostigl wrote:

this falls under the category of RTM.

Jackass Installation Manual wrote:
Code:
# Copyright 2005 Jackass! Production Team
# Distributed under the terms of the General Public License v2
# File: /etc/make.conf
# Task: Basic settings for the Jackass! Toolkit
#
#  /\          /\  Jackass! 2005.0 for Pentium   
# ( \\        // )
#  \ \\      // /  This system configuration should be used for all Jackass! 
#   \_\\||||//_/  installations.  It is recommended that you do not make any
#    \/ _  _ \/  changes to the CHOST setting, to your processor setting, or
#   \/|(O)(O)|  to the CFLAG settings, or system failures may result.
#  \/ |      | 
#_\/  \      /  Edit the contents of the GENTOO_MIRRORS statement to include
#      |____|  the address of your local Gentoo mirror, and add USE flags as
#     /      \  necessary for the proper configuration of your system.
#     \ 0  0 /
#    / \____/
#   /
#_/
#
#

Clyde
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
one thing that i have noticed when looking over the statistics on our server is that the majority of the users are NOT downloading the MD5 files to verify that the ISO are properly transmitted. after you download the ISO, its absolutely essential to verify its integrity. i'm at a loss to explain why everyone seems to be skipping that step. :?

One reason may be the way that n00bs (like myself) tend to use your website's .md5 hyperlinks to get an .md5 file: by using Windows/IE, which makes it all too easy to save it as a bunch of html, and/or with the wrong filename, etc. Then a subset of us have to find and download a Windows md5sum.exe and know to run it with a -c parm. :)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: