Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Jackass! 2005.0 Support Group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ttuttle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
i have repeated over and over again that nobody should ever perform an emerge -uD world on a gentoo system. if a user refuses to take my advice about that, then they will get what's coming to them.

What will happen if you do that? I just did it on all my systems, and they are fine. (Or did you mean just Jackass! systems?) Of course I ran emerge --newuse world before and revdep-rebuild after, just to be sure.
Raftysworld
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob I'm sure will provide a more detailed answer, but anytime you update your system in this manner, you have the risk of foobaring your system. This is especially true if a toolkit component, such as GCC, gets upgraded. It's a much more effective solution to update only the progs you really want updated (emerge -uD mozilla-firefox). It's important to remember that just because an update is released, it doesn't mean that it should be upgraded.

EDIT: Oh, and no, this isn't solely for Jackass! systems, though it takes an even larger importance in Jackass, as the whole project is based on a cleanly compiled GCC 3.4.3 toolkit that has been tested, tried, and true.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThinkingInBinary wrote:
Bob P wrote:
i have repeated over and over again that nobody should ever perform an emerge -uD world on a gentoo system. if a user refuses to take my advice about that, then they will get what's coming to them.

What will happen if you do that? I just did it on all my systems, and they are fine. (Or did you mean just Jackass! systems?) Of course I ran emerge --newuse world before and revdep-rebuild after, just to be sure.
Just run emerge -auD world and make sure you are aware of each package that is being updated, and you'll be ok. This assumes you know what you are doing, a big assumption. If you are don't know what you are doing, figure it out before you go and update your system, because it can be a royal pain if you mess something up and don't even know what you did, much less how to go about fixing it. In fact, if you don't know what you are doing, just watch the GLSA advisories and update those packages only :wink: . The important thing is that gcc 3.4.4 is not masked as testing in portage. On the >=i686 processors, emerge -uD world will upgrade gcc, which considering the stability of gcc 3.4.4 is highly undesireable. So just be aware of that when you updating your system, and of course read all of Bob's dark blue posts. :wink:
a13x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jackass ISO should I donwload for a 433Mhz Celeron (Mendocino) ?
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a13x wrote:

can u post your cpuinfo plz?
Code:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a13x wrote:
My first guess would be Pentium II, but post the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo just to be sure.
a13x
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 6
model name : Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 434.528
cache size : 128 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 1
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
bogomips : 849.92
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P2, definently.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a13x wrote:

If anyone's ever wondering what kind of CPU their Celeron Processor may be, here's a helpful link:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Safe_Cflags
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are better ones, just match your clock speed:
Pentium II Celerons
Pentium III Celerons
More Pentium III Celerons
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to make that post bold and green. :wink:
Euphemism
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, me again, still trying to get DMA to work...

Anyway, I think I found the chipset I need to enable - VT82C**** - and I've set it via menuconfig. Just one question about recompiling - Should I still use:
Code:
make && make_modules && modules_install && make_install

or should I be using something more along the lines of make && make install? (I've tried the first and got about a page of some code and then it stopped... maybe it hasn't compiled...) Also, should the chipset support be integrated directly into the kernel or installed as a module?

Thanks for your help!
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euphemism wrote:
Hi, me again, still trying to get DMA to work...

Anyway, I think I found the chipset I need to enable - VT82C**** - and I've set it via menuconfig. Just one question about recompiling - Should I still use:
Code:
make && make_modules && modules_install && make_install

or should I be using something more along the lines of make && make install? (I've tried the first and got about a page of some code and then it stopped... maybe it hasn't compiled...) Also, should the chipset support be integrated directly into the kernel or installed as a module?

Thanks for your help!
If you built it into the kernel, use make && make install.
Euphemism
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! DMA is up and running (although at one point I had no idea what I was doing and deleted something I probably shouldn't have, when I got an out-of-space error).

At this point any other problems I have probably won't be jackass related. Thanks again! See you on the forums elsewhere (I will have problems, I can guarantee you that... in fact, I have two or three you could help me with right now... :P)
widu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
I just installed jackass on athlonXP, everything went fine so far. but I've got a littel problem with firefox:
In any pulldown-menu, the item with the mouse over just becomes totaly white, just a white field with nothing in it.
Well I know that this doesn't have to be jackass related, but thing is, on my old gentoo-system (mostly x86) on the same box, I don't have this bug, with the same version of firefox and the same versions of packages, wich firefox is dependend on :

app-arch/zip-2.3-r4
dev-java/java-config-1.2.11
dev-libs/expat-1.95.8
dev-libs/glib-2.6.4
dev-libs/libIDL-0.8.5
dev-util/pkgconfig-0.15.0
gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.10.0-r2
media-libs/fontconfig-2.2.3
media-libs/jpeg-6b-r4
media-libs/libmng-1.0.8-r1
media-libs/libpng-1.2.8
sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.19
sys-devel/patch-2.5.9
sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2
dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01-r1
x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1
www-client/mozilla-launcher-1.32
x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.7
x11-libs/pango-1.8.1

I allready tried just to build a package of firefox on my old system and installed it on the jackass system, but the bug still remains.
The same bug exist with thunderbird here.

Maybe you guys have an idea?
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

widu wrote:
hi
I just installed jackass on athlonXP, everything went fine so far. but I've got a littel problem with firefox:
In any pulldown-menu, the item with the mouse over just becomes totaly white, just a white field with nothing in it.
Well I know that this doesn't have to be jackass related, but thing is, on my old gentoo-system (mostly x86) on the same box, I don't have this bug, with the same version of firefox and the same versions of packages, wich firefox is dependend on :

app-arch/zip-2.3-r4
dev-java/java-config-1.2.11
dev-libs/expat-1.95.8
dev-libs/glib-2.6.4
dev-libs/libIDL-0.8.5
dev-util/pkgconfig-0.15.0
gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.10.0-r2
media-libs/fontconfig-2.2.3
media-libs/jpeg-6b-r4
media-libs/libmng-1.0.8-r1
media-libs/libpng-1.2.8
sys-apps/portage-2.0.51.19
sys-devel/patch-2.5.9
sys-libs/zlib-1.2.2
dev-java/blackdown-jre-1.4.2.01-r1
x11-libs/gtk+-2.6.7
x11-libs/pango-1.8.1

I allready tried just to build a package of firefox on my old system and installed it on the jackass system, but the bug still remains.
The same bug exist with thunderbird here.

Maybe you guys have an idea?
Yeah, this really isn't a Jackass! problem (AFAICT). It could be a problem with gtk, you window manager, I'm not really sure. Look around the forums, check bugzilla, see if others are having the problem. That's my best advice for you.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm running jackass, kde 3.3 and the latest versions of firefox and thunderbird, and i don't have the problem. :?

i hate to say it, but it does sound like an X problem or a window manager problem. i don't think that there's anything about the jackass toolkit that could be put to blame, but there have been isolated instances of programs that just don't like to compile with -O3 optimizations. maybe your WM is one of them.

if by some remote chance your problem is optimization-related, the only possible cure would be to recompile X, your windowmanager, and your dependenent apps with -O2. if that cures the problem, then you need to report a bug for the effected ebuild(s). if that doesn't cure the problem, well... i haven't got a clue.

FWIW, i'm running those apps i mentioned with -O3 without any problems.
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure if this should go here or not, but none of the other forums seemed appropiate. Yell if I'm wrong.

Anyway, recently got Jackass! Athlon-XP going here, and it's quite lovely, I must say. Works a whole lot better than the last time I tried a 1/3 - easier, too. Anyway, last night before I went to bed, I gave it a huge list of things to emerge; GNOME, Firefox, GIMP, XMMS, PHP, CUPS... tons of crap. I figured it'd take the better part of the night to finish. So I get up in the morning, and find a rather quizzical error message: 'Out of space'. Eh? Do a quick df, and / has 100% usage. D'oh! I have a rather odd partitioning scheme, I'll admit. (I'd post my fstab but the formatting is being an absolute bitch for some reason - I blame Windows. Anyway, I'll do a quick one here.

Code:

Psuedo /etc/fstab

/dev/hda1     Windows/Photoshop Swap    ntfs      2GB
/dev/hda2     /boot                                  ext3     32MB
/dev/hda3     swap                                  sw        1.5GB
/dev/hda4     extended           
/dev/hda5     /                                       reiserfs  500MB
/dev/hda6     /usr                                  reiserfs  5GB
/dev/hda7     /tmp                                 reiserfs  1GB
/dev/hda8     /var                                  reiserfs  2GB
/dev/hda9    /home                                reiserfs  8GB

I like to keep /var and /tmp seperate [respectively] for portage and in case a process went wild and started eating up disk space. /boot is seperate because I've always done it that way. Probably outdated and no reason, but there's no reason not to, either. I like /usr being seperate to help keep programs away from /. And /home for obvious reasons. Now, I only gave / 500MB on the recommendation of a partitioning guide I found linked up here somewhere (no idea where the page is). The author claimed that / didn't need much space. Wasn't a very old page, either - it mentioned Reiser, XFS, and JFS, so it couldn't have been too old. I figured since I had /usr, /var, and /home on seperate partitions, it made sense to me. Either /etc is huge, or something else I didn't think of, but in any case, it's full. I did manage to get about 200MB free by deleting the Jackass! tarball (forgot it was on there), so I have some working space, anyway.

I booted into Partition Magic, which promptly informed me all my partitions on /dev/hda had discrepancies between something or other. Didn't seem like it'd do any harm, and I'd used it extensively before, so I went ahead and OK'd it. Bad move, I think. PM said /dev/hda was unallocated. Uh-oh. Reboot. GRUB still comes up. Hey, Gentoo still boots, too. fdisk -l /dev/hda reports all of the partitions there. OK, emerge parted. parted reports nothing at all. Um... reiserfsprogs. Ran their fsck on all the partitions. No corruption, nothing wrong.

Anyone have any ideas, firstly, on what went wrong, and second, is it possible to undo it? I realize now that 8GB is rather large for /home for my needs (I need to stop doing OS installations at night - fatigue doesn't mix well with writing partition tables), and if possible, I'd like to give a few GB over to /.

I should also mention I haven't changed the make.conf at all other than to add ccache and another mirror. I followed the instructions to the book, and it worked perfectly. I got X working, whole nine yards. Now this. Until I can fix the partitions, and re-size them, I can't really emerge much.
jakamaka
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Stephonovich:

Clear your /root/.ccache :wink:
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccache uses /? That'd do it, then... Is there a way to define where ccache caches? (boy, that sounds redundant)

Any idea on the rest of it? If nothing else, I'll make tarballs of all the partitions, dump 'em onto /home (since that has tons of free space), make them again, move everything back, then re-do /home.

EDIT: Eh, I got bored. Currently wrapping everything up into a GZIP'd tarball, after which I'll do as I described above. Since this is a fresh install, there's really nothing I mind losing. If it works, great, if not, oh well.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephonovich wrote:
I'm really not sure if this should go here or not, but none of the other forums seemed appropiate. Yell if I'm wrong.

your problem has so much nothing to do with Jackass! that its funny that you would post it here. :lol:

if you need to pursue this, I'd recommend the Installing Gentoo forum.
Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... the name's similar, anyway.

I was going to put it in Installing Gentoo, but didn't think it qualified as an installation problem. That went fine and dandy. Anyway, methinks I'll do fine with the tarball.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing Gentoo is actually a very good place to discuss things like partitioning issues. There's even a sticky thread entitled Partitioning in the Installing Gentoo forum that may provide the answers you're looking for. :wink:

The reason that I would recommend going there is because your problems appear to be related in a generic sense to a typical Gentoo installation, and not specfically related to any idiosyncracies in The Jackass! Toolkit, so you're more likely to get the right answer there.

We're trying to limit this thread to topics that are unique to Jackass!, and different from the regular-issue Gentoo Stage 3 tarballs.

Good luck.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackass(Toolkity Build) + Genoo = FAST!!!!!!!!!!! Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
flipnode wrote:
I do have only one issue with the Jackass installation manual. During the configuration of the hostname and domain name, it gives you the option of using the depreciated way of setting or the new way. I used the new way, except it complains about the hostname not being set and wanting the old way to be set. What's the deal? Also, where can you go to find out when they make changes like this, b/c I didn't even know it was being depreciated.

The deprecated way of setting the hostname was returned to the Guide because enough users were unable to use the proper method of setting their hostnames with /etc/conf.d.

These problems stem from the constant changes made to baselayout. It's just the luck of the draw when emerging packages with a given Portage tree; some users (like Bob) can use the proper method, others (such as myself) find that hostname only works with the "echo $NAME > /etc/hostname" trick.

In my opinion, the changes made to baselayout are poorly documented and consist of numerous inconsequential edits that do not require revision bumps; in point of fact, the Gentoo developer documents specifically state that revision bumps to an ebuild are unnecessary if they're only for things like new comment lines. Also, the official Gentoo installation guide is equally poor at keeping up with the changes made, though that might not be the doc writer's fault. One way I've discovered to keep tabs on what's happening in baselayout is to watch the forums for hostname troubles; the current state of affairs can be seen in the kinds of support requests made by the users.

Just to resurrect an old problem from a couple of pages back:

the new versions of baselayout have deprecated the use of /etc/hostname and /etc/dnsdomainname in favor of /etc/conf.d/hostname and /etc/conf.d/domainname. if you update to sys-apps/baselayout-1.11.12-r4 or later, you'll notice boot warnings. you can make them go away by following the second set of examples in the Jackass! Installation Handbook.

widu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: white menues in firefox Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
i'm running jackass, kde 3.3 and the latest versions of firefox and thunderbird, and i don't have the problem. :?

The silly problem was theme related (gnome-2.10). So no real need to recompile all the stuff.

Last edited by widu on Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: