Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Jackass! 2005.0 Support Group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taipan67
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note to all interested parties :-

Please DO NOT interpret any of my previous posts on this thread as suggestions or advice to other Jackass! users.

I am in NO WAY qualified to do as such - i had no involvement with the conception or development of Jackass!, & am not a member of the support-team. My understanding of the intricacies of system-building is nowhere near as comprehensive as that of Bob & the rest of the team.

The installation-method outlined in those earlier posts should be viewed as nothing more than an experimental solution to the problems with the official installation guide that have resulted from recent updates to the Gentoo-mirrors.

Like yourselves, i am only seeking advice from those better-versed than me on the best way to overcome these problems.

As such, i urge you in the strongest possible terms to wait until such a solution is posted by someone qualified to do so.

samehada
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe

i am fooling around on an old p3 laptop
must have compiled/installed gentoo like 10 times already in the past 2 weeks lol

it's all good though
a great way to learn :)
nxsty
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nxsty wrote:
"As a result of these three enhancements, The Jackass! Toolkit significantly outperforms plain-vanilla Gentoo (and probably every other version of Linux that runs on the x86 platform)."

That's quite a claim! Do you have any numbers to support it?

You still haven't answered my question..
roki942
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: CONFIG_REGPARM Reply with quote

First off .... thanks for all the work you guys put into jackass!

I'm in the Configure Kernel Options step and have come across this:
Quote:
CONFIG_REGPARM: x
x x
x Compile the kernel with -mregparm=3. This uses a different ABI x
x and passes the first three arguments of a function call in registers. x
x This will probably break binary only modules. x
x x
x This feature is only enabled for gcc-3.0 and later - earlier compilers x
x generate incorrect output with certain kernel constructs when x
x -mregparm=3 is used. x
x x
x Symbol: REGPARM [=n] x
x Prompt: Use register arguments (EXPERIMENTAL) x
x Defined at arch/i386/Kconfig:912 x
x Depends on: EXPERIMENTAL x
x Location: x
x -> Processor type and features
Would this conflict with any of the Jackass CFLAGS and is it a good option to use with Jackass on a P4?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't cover kernel questions in this thread. sorry.
nadieaqui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Jackass for 2005.1? Reply with quote

Tried searching forum before posting; apologies if this is a repost.

Will there be a Jackass for 2005.1?

Thanks in advance
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jackass for 2005.1? Reply with quote

nadieaqui wrote:
Tried searching forum before posting; apologies if this is a repost.

Will there be a Jackass for 2005.1?

Thanks in advance

its funny -- 2005.1 was released via bittorrent 48 hours ago, and because of the problem with the scheduled power outage at OSUOSL, 2005.1 wasn't even on the mirrors as of yesterday. looking at my local mirror today, the new 2005.1 media is now available, and has been available for less than 24 hours.

just to keep things in perspective, its a physical impossibility to produce Jackass! 2005.1 that quickly. :wink:

so for any instant gratification types out there, you'll likely to be disappointed as i haven't even had time to obtain the 2005.1 media, much less compile an updated Jackass! system.

now to answer @nadieaqui's question -- yes, there probably will be a 2005.1 version of Jackass!... that is, if enough people are interested in participating in the development & testing phases.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to answer the question that seems to be burning in everyone's mind: Yes, I'm thinking about Jackass! 2005.1, but I'm not ready for it yet.

If you're interested in Jackass! 2005.1, please check out the Jackass! 2005.1 Architecture Poll that I've started in OTW.

I'd like to get a better feel for what arches in Jackass! 2005.0 are actually being used, and what arches are unpopular enough that they won't be missed if we should decide to stop developing for them. I'm thinking about dropping some of the arches from the 2005.1 to-do list, so if you use Jackass! on older hardware, be sure to vote in the poll.

I'll start a Jackass! 2005.1 Development thread when the time is right. Until then, let's limit the discussions here to Jackass! 2005.0.

Thanks!

bob

tomd2004
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Gentoo 2005.0 --> Jackass 2005.1 Reply with quote

Hello,

I've been using Jackass 2005.1 on three machines all of which seem to run faster than when I installed base Gentoo. I now wish to migrate another machine to Jackass that is already running Gentoo. My question is, can I simply;
1) Install GCC 3.4
2) Copy the Jackass make.conf to the machine overwriting it's origional make.conf
3) re emerge system and world

Or will this leave me with a damaged/lacking system?
Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,

Tom
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been using Jackass! 2005.1? If so, then need to check the intrusion detection system on my LAN. :oops:
tomd2004
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appologies, Jackass 2005.0 :o
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok. your best bet would be to either:

1. reinstall using a Jackass! tarball, emerge world files, and copy your data, or
2. rebuild your system tookit, and then redundandtly emerge the system and world files.

either way, if you want to convert from an existing system that's running Toolkit A to an updated system that's running Toolkit B, its going to take alot of time and effort just to do the toolkit conversion. then, once the toolkit conversion is done, you have to rebuild the rest of your packages to really gain the benefit.

problems like yours are a complex Gentoo issue. they're not simple, and they're definitely beyond the scope of this support thread. i would probably ask this question in Portage & Programming.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Bad News:

One of our mirrors has gone offline. There's just been too much bandwidth demand for the Jackass! tarballs for two mirrors to handle, so one of our mirrors has had to pull out. This has left us with one mirror to handle the 2005.0 downloads.

We're desperately in need of someone to step-up and mirror the 2005.0 version of Jackass! The load is just too much for our one remaining mirror to handle. If we can't get someone to step-up and volunteer to act as a mirror, we're going to have to retire the high-bandwidth http mirrors and find another distribution method.

Although that isn't an attractive option, its just not feasible for one or two mirrors to singlehandedly pay for the bandwidth expenses associated with hosting the system. If we can't find another mirror, we're going to have to resort to one of two options:

1. bittorrent, or
2. purchasing CDs by the mail.

I would definitely prefer to keep the mirrors alive and to keep high-bandwidth http downloads availalble. Unfortuantely, if we can't get additional mirrors to share the load... well... you get the picture.

The timing for the loss of our mirror is especially bad, given that we're beginning testing on Jackass! 2005.1 and we're planning on a release in the near future.

Please help if you can. I'm looking for people to act as mirrors, and people who can help set-up a bittorrent tracker.

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please vote in these two Jackass! Polls:

How Many PCs Do You Run Jackass! On?

Jackass! 2005.1 - Vote for Architectures

thanks!
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Sucks.

The Jackass! Project website at http://jackass.homelinux.org had been participating in the Google AdSense program since I took over the webserver's hosting duties in May, 2005. We've been hosting Ads by Google at The Jackass! Project for 4 months now, in the hope that Ads by Google would help to offset some of the expenses involved in hosting the web site.

Click-through revenues have always been low -- over the four months that we've been participating in Ads by Google, we had never generated enough revenue to generate a payout check from Google. That looked like it would all change on Friday, as on Friday we crossed threshold -- we had finally generated the $100 minimum balance to qualify for disbursement in the form of a check. According to the program standards, Google was supposed to send us a check sometime next month.

The illusion of actually being paid what we were owed by Google ended today -- two days after our successfully became elegible for payment, I received an e-mail that vaguely accused The Jackass! Project of some form of illegitimate robotic clicking activity, but failed to identify the nature of the problem. In the email, we were told that our account had been canceled and that our $100 would be kept by Google instead of being paid to us under the terms of our participation agreement.

We participated in good faith in the Ads by Google program for four months. Our users supported the project by clicking on the ads. Now that its time for Google to actually pay what they owe us, they unilaterally decided to close our account. They kept our money. They even deleted our account records so that we don't have sufficient documentation to file a letter of protest.

The moral of the story: don't waste your time with Ads by Google. They don't honor their debts.

The saddest part of this is that we've lost a source of revenue that we were counting on to support the Jackass! Project. Now we'll have to find an alternative method of offseting our operating expenses.

Stephonovich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's a common problem with AdSense. Unfortunately, there were people utilizing such methods early on in the program, which caused Google to institute rather draconian laws. I fear, though, that they've overstepped the boundaries a bit.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the documentation for 2005.0 jackass installation is offline :(

can someone host the .pdf for me?

thanks!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedpe wrote:
the documentation for 2005.0 jackass installation is offline :(

can someone host the .pdf for me?

thanks!

Nope.

Follow the official Gentoo Stage 3 documentation. The Jackass! tarball behaves exactly like a Gentoo tarball, albeit with different toolchain packages. You can install Jackass! by following the Gentoo guide.
r3zzo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*** edit ***

sorry Bob P.
Registered Linux User #349180
Gentoo Linux ::

Last edited by r3zzo on Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dude!
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very happy with jackass

I was wondering... I have a dual 500mhz system at home. It is a P3 system I believe.

Can I use jackass P3 since it is dual processors? or do i need to do stage 1/3 install?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedpe wrote:
I am very happy with jackass

I was wondering... I have a dual 500mhz system at home. It is a P3 system I believe.

Can I use jackass P3 since it is dual processors? or do i need to do stage 1/3 install?

If it's a P3 system, then yes, you can use the Jackass! Pentium 3 tarball.

The only thing you have to do is enable symmetric multiprocessing (SMP) in your kernel configuration. Since you have a dual processor system, I assume you know how to compile a kernel for it. You do not need to do anything else to a Jackass! system, except maybe change MAKEOPTS in /etc/make.conf to "-j3", to get some extra use out of that other processor at compile time.
gnychis
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you nightmorph :)

i will let you know how it goes
macgyverSSUC
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was installing Jackass on my laptop following the Jackass documentation posted a while back, except for one thing...I used ext3 instead of resierfs as my FS.

I rebooted and I got an error about fschck and ext2. (sorry do not know the rest...I can get it later).

I really have no idea what it could be, it sound like i made an error in fstab

Code:

/dev/BOOT      /boot      ext3      noauto,notail,noatime      1 2
/dev/ROOT      /      ext3       notail            0 1
/dev/SWAP      none      swap      sw            0 0

none         /dev/shm   tmpfs      nodev,nosuid,noexec      0 0
none         /proc/bus/usb   usbfs      defaults         0 0

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0   /mnt/cdrom   iso9660      user,noauto,ro,exec      0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none         /proc      proc      defaults         0 0

Is there something that jumps out...otherwise, I will reinstall using reiserfs to get started.

Thanks in advance.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is an excerpt from the first quote in the Support Thread:

Jackass Project wrote:
This is the Official Support Group for The Jackass! Project for Gentoo 2005.0.

Read This Before Posting

What Kind of Support is Available Here

The Jackass! Support Group has been created to address technical issues that are uniquely related to the Jackass! Toolkit. We're limiting our Support efforts to such problems.

General questions about Gentoo are beyond the scope of this thread, and the Jackass! Support Group is NOT a good place to look for answers to these types of questions. If you have Gentoo-related questions that are general in nature and are not specifically related to the Jackass! Toolkit, please post them in the appropriate Gentoo Forums.

your problem is a common problem that is caused by deviating from the instruction manual without understanding everything that you need to know to deviate from the manual. unfortunately, i don't have an unlimited amount of time to solve problems for people so i have to limit what types of support questions i can answer. your problem falls into the realm of Gentoo Fundamentals and is beyond the scope of our support thread.

i'm sorry but i can't start down the slippery slope of answering everyone's questions about Gentoo Fundamentals. if you choose to deviate from the manual, you are on your own, so be sure that you know what you are doing. your fstab entries are likely inappropriate. if that doesn't help you, i'd recommend asking for help in the Installing Gentoo forum. best of luck.

Last edited by Bob P on Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:48 am; edited 2 times in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: