Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Jackass! 2005.0 Support Group
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperYak wrote:
I configured hostnames & domainnames according to the jackass manual, by editing /etc/conf.d/hostname & /etc/conf.d/domainname, then adding domainname to the default runlevel. Upon reboot I noticed that my hostname did not get set, so I did the following:
Code:
echo testbox2 > /etc/hostname
which solved my problem.

i'm just wondering ... you didn't edit them using the "cat" command, did you?
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tailgunner.qmx wrote:
I found that the jackass glibc is missing some locales.. Are you arbitrary stripped of the pt_BR et all?

(I know the long road. I'm just rebuilding it, but why not have all locales + localepurge in 2005.1 ?

Just wondering

PS: except from this, solid rocks!

nice work!

i've extracted the contents of the P3 tarball, and i see that pt_BR is listed in its usual location: /usr/share/locale/pt_BR

does this help?
SuperYak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P wrote:
SuperYak wrote:
I configured hostnames & domainnames according to the jackass manual, by editing /etc/conf.d/hostname & /etc/conf.d/domainname, then adding domainname to the default runlevel. Upon reboot I noticed that my hostname did not get set, so I did the following:
Code:
which solved my problem.

i'm just wondering ... you didn't edit them using the "cat" command, did you?

:x
No!!!! Have you even read any of my previous posts? For some reason you want to make me out to be a moron that doesn't know what i'm doing...Have you not considered that it is possibly YOU that made a mistake? Even nightmorph tried to explain it to you earlier in this thread, but you didn't listen to him either.

Code:
testbox2 root # cat /etc/conf.d/hostname
HOSTNAME="testbox2"
testbox2 root # cat /etc/conf.d/domainname
OVERRIDE=1
DNSDOMAIN="example.com"
testbox2 root # ls -l /etc/runlevels/default/domainname
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 22 May 10 12:26 /etc/runlevels/default/domainname -> /etc/init.d/domainname

For the 1,443,233rd time: The only way to get my hostname set was to
Code:

I am now officially done with this topic.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I never looked into this before, but there is no such thing as /etc/conf.d/hostname or /etc/conf.d/domainname, neither of those runscripts even use conf.d files, if you look at the initscripts themselves, both read from /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname respectively. So running echo "oops" > /etc/conf.d/hostname does absolutely nothing. The correct sequence to set your domain name and host name should be as follows (taken from the 2005.0 documentation):
Code:
8.b. Networking Information

Hostname, Domainname etc.

One of the choices the user has to make is name his/her PC. This seems to be quite easy, but lots of users are having difficulties finding the appropriate name for their Linux-pc. To speed things up, know that any name you choose can be changed afterwards. For all we care, you can just call your system tux and domain homenetwork.

We use these values in the next examples. First we set the hostname:

Code Listing 8: Setting the hostname

# echo tux > /etc/hostname

Second we set the domainname:

Code Listing 9: Setting the domainname

# echo homenetwork > /etc/dnsdomainname

If you have a NIS domain (if you don't know what that is, then you don't have one), you need to define that one too:

Code Listing 10: Setting the NIS domainname

# echo nis.homenetwork > /etc/nisdomainname

Now add the domainname script to the default runlevel:

Code Listing 11: Adding domainname to the default runlevel

# rc-update add domainname default
Thanks for noticing this SuperYak, that is a serious documentation flaw which needs to be fixed ASAP.
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:?

Last edited by Bob P on Wed May 11, 2005 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperYak
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sith_Happens wrote:
You know, I never looked into this before, but there is no such thing as /etc/conf.d/hostname or /etc/conf.d/domainname, neither of those runscripts even use conf.d files, if you look at the initscripts themselves, both read from /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname respectively. So running echo "oops" > /etc/conf.d/hostname does absolutely nothing. The correct sequence to set your domain name and host name should be as follows (taken from the 2005.0 documentation):
Code:
8.b. Networking Information

Hostname, Domainname etc.

One of the choices the user has to make is name his/her PC. This seems to be quite easy, but lots of users are having difficulties finding the appropriate name for their Linux-pc. To speed things up, know that any name you choose can be changed afterwards. For all we care, you can just call your system tux and domain homenetwork.

We use these values in the next examples. First we set the hostname:

Code Listing 8: Setting the hostname

# echo tux > /etc/hostname

Second we set the domainname:

Code Listing 9: Setting the domainname

# echo homenetwork > /etc/dnsdomainname

If you have a NIS domain (if you don't know what that is, then you don't have one), you need to define that one too:

Code Listing 10: Setting the NIS domainname

# echo nis.homenetwork > /etc/nisdomainname

Now add the domainname script to the default runlevel:

Code Listing 11: Adding domainname to the default runlevel

# rc-update add domainname default
Thanks for noticing this SuperYak, that is a serious documentation flaw which needs to be fixed ASAP.

:D
Finally..Thanks Sith for checking it out. Only recent UNSTABLE (~x86) versions of baselayout use the /etc/conf.d/hostname|domainname scripts.
Sade
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:o
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, this is another one of thoses cases where we pay the price for living on the bleeding edge. unlike BSD, where changes have to go through committees and take forever to implement, changes happen pretty quickly in Gentoo.

if you search the message bases about this, you'll see plenty of reports where the whole /conf.d business has moved into and out of the stable baselayouts. there are plenty of reports of people using baselayouts like the one we've used for Jackass!, and having bootup error messages telling them to avoid the use of /etc/hostname and /etc/domainname because these methods were deprecated, and instructing the user to use the conf.d methods.

unfortunately, Gentoo has implemented this standard and backpedaled on it enough times that i had to put both methods into the Stage 1/3 documentation so that i wouldn't have to keep changing it. well, now that i've assumed that the problem had stabilized and removed the "old way" of doing things from the documentation, i find that i have to put it back in again. :? <sigh>

sometimes Gentoo makes me feel like i'm shooting at a moving target!
Hikaru79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear things up from earlier, the problems with portage weren't Jackass's fault after all -- I tried a few other distros and they all had similar problems on that one computer, leading me to the conclusion that the hard drive is simply roasted.

Instead, I decided to give Jackass a spin on this machine, and so far it's going off without any problems =D Yay for the Jackass team!
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm glad to hear that! i was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what we did wrong!
ccutler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: I also had to put my hostname in /etc/hostname for it to work
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any reason why the installation guide is available only as PDF? I don't think that's practical. It would be a lot better to have it html or text so I can have the guide open on another virtual console.
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

micko wrote:
Is there any reason why the installation guide is available only as PDF? I don't think that's practical. It would be a lot better to have it html or text so I can have the guide open on another virtual console.
That would be nice, and with Bob's permission I might work on making a links optimized html version of the docs, but right now I'm backed up with schoolwork. So until then you'll just have to print out the PDF micko. :(
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm in the process of revising the Official documentation, which remains in a state of transition. i had decided not to publish an HTML version of the docs for a couple of reasons, one of which is that it becomes far more labor intensive to maintain multiple versions of the documentation than it is to maintain one version of the documentation. so for now, it looks like an HTML version of the Copyrighted documentation isn't in the cards -- at least not until the documentation has finished being revised. :?

the really good news is that we're not leaving you high and dry! when we were designing Jackass! we had actually considered making an HTML document for those people who wanted to perform the install using a program such as Links. there was actually a point in the development of project where we had made changes the Jackass! tarballs that had made them behave differently from the Gentoo tarballs. in that situation, we had planned on releasing a specific HTML version of the docs for exactly the reasons you've asked.

ultimately, we decided to abort the changes to Jackass! that would have rendered it non-interchangeable from a behavioral standpoint with the typical Gentoo tarballs. Jackass!, as it is released, contains tarballs that behave exactly as if they were Gentoo Stage 3 tarballs. the really good news is that if you need an HTML version of an Installation Guide, you can use the Gentoo Installation Handbook for x86 in html format, just as if you were performing a Stage 3 install using an Official Gentoo Tarball. :!:
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only big difference in terms of the install between the 2005.0 tarballs and the Jackass! tarballs is that a portage snapshot is included in the Jackass! tarballs. So you can skip the section on installing a portage snapshot.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

- irrelevant material deleted -

Last edited by 96140 on Fri May 13, 2005 5:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ccutler
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just out of curiosity, are there any pros/cons to doing an 'emerge --sync && emerge --update --deep --newuse world' after install?

[edit:] I only ask because I had read to not do a sync during the install , and I am curious if rebuilding the world will affect any beneficial aspects of using jackass in the first place [/edit]

Last edited by ccutler on Thu May 12, 2005 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hikaru79
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to have some problems with udev ... permission problems that I'm able to fix, but I'm not convinced I'm doing it right. For example, I was having the "-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied" error today. I Chmodd'ed it to 666 and the problem's gone for now, but my solution feels a bit hackish and not very ideal. Also, whenever I try to use my sound card, I get:
Code:
** WARNING ** : oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Permission denied
Again, chmod'ing this to 666 solved my problem, but it just doesn't FEEL right. There's got to be a less hackish solution. Oh, and I'm also getting the "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal" problem, which a quick search through Portage also linked to udev.

Udev seems to be giving me a *LOT* of problems. Can anyone help me fix them? And if not, can someone explain how to simply switch back to devfs?

Other than this though, I'm still really enjoying Jackass!

PS: Does Jackass have an IRC channel? I really think it should...
Sith_Happens
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can tell you one thing. If you want to use audio devices as an unprivileged user, that user needs to in the audio group. I'm not sure about your problem with /dev/null, but on my system (devfs), these are the permissions on /dev/null:
Code:
crwxrwxrwx  1 root root   1,  3 Dec 31  1969 null

Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hikaru79 wrote:
I'm starting to have some problems with udev ... permission problems that I'm able to fix, but I'm not convinced I'm doing it right. For example, I was having the "-bash: /dev/null: Permission denied" error today. I Chmodd'ed it to 666 and the problem's gone for now, but my solution feels a bit hackish and not very ideal. Also, whenever I try to use my sound card, I get:
Code:
** WARNING ** : oss_open(): Failed to open audio device (/dev/dsp): Permission denied
Again, chmod'ing this to 666 solved my problem, but it just doesn't FEEL right. There's got to be a less hackish solution. Oh, and I'm also getting the "There was an error creating the child process for this terminal" problem, which a quick search through Portage also linked to udev.

Udev seems to be giving me a *LOT* of problems. Can anyone help me fix them? And if not, can someone explain how to simply switch back to devfs?

AFAIK the /dev/null permissions problem is a known GCC 3.4.3 bug. its nothing related to Jackass! per se. i thought it had already been resolved:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2299060.html#2299060

if you're having more UDEV problems, my recommendation would be to read the Gentoo Udev Guide:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml

if that's not good enough, let us know which ISO you're installing from, post the output of emerge --info, and a copy of the error message that you're receiving. then hopefully we'll be able to help you figure it out.

please bear in mind that Gentoo configuration issues that are not toolkit-specific are not at all related to Jackass!, so we may not be able to help in that regard. good luck! :wink:
Bob P
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccutler wrote:
just out of curiosity, are there any pros/cons to doing an 'emerge --sync && emerge --update --deep --newuse world' after install?

[edit:] I only ask because I had read to not do a sync during the install , and I am curious if rebuilding the world will affect any beneficial aspects of using jackass in the first place [/edit]

well, any time that you re-sync, its a crapshoot. depending upon the current state of the portage tree, you may find that there are some broken ebuilds that you may encounter following an emerge --sync. when we tested Jackass!, we tested different versions of the portage tree over a period of months. the portage snapshot that we included in the Jackass! tarballs was one that met the following criteria:

1. most recent working version of GCC 3.4.3
2. most recent working verison of GLIBC
3. no other broken ebuilds for the files that are used in the Installation Manual.

the Pros to not resyncing, and using the portage snapshot that we provided are that our portage snapshot is tested and free of errors.

the Cons to not resyncing are that you may be able to find more recent versions of the packages in the portage tree.

from a practical standpoint, we can guarantee that the portage snapshot that's included with Jackass! works properly. we cannot make that guarantee for any other versions of the portage tree, so if you resync to a more recent snapshot, all bets are off.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob P, ok, that explanation suits me fine. One of the reasons why I asked was that the PDF doesn't work well on my computer at work. I don't know what's wrong but it seems to have pages missing and images not showing. I get a few error messages from Adobe Reader while the PDF is open... But I'll try to view it with another computer.

I've also had a problem installing the Jackass. Nvidia-kernel doesn't seem to compile properly. No errors anywhere, but when loading the module it says it's not a proper module (I'll check the exact error message in a while). I tried both x86 and ~x86. I also tried it with 4kb and 8kb kernel stacks, because some older nvidia-kernel had problems with 4kb stacks.

I was thinking if it was possible to compile it with more conservative CFLAGS. Such as "-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer". All my other systems has been compiled using that and I haven't seen this problem with them... Only problem now is how to emerge it using those CFLAGS. Can I run 'CFLAGS="-O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" emerge nvidia-kernel'? Is there a file such as packages.use for this?

So far this has been the only problem. Everything else has compiled fine.

Edit: The exact error while loading module nvidia is:
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r6/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format

Edit2: Hmmm... https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-330666-highlight-fatal+error+inserting+nvidia+invalid+module+format.html
Looks like someone else has had the same problem with Bob P's Stage 1/3 method. Why does it say the kernel is compiled with gcc 3.3.5 when I'm running a pure Jackass 2005.0 install? Well... Only thing that isn't Jackass is my /boot partition which has some of my old kernels.
micko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... Now I got it working. I have no idea why cat /proc/version said I have compiled the kernel using gcc 3.3.5, but I recompiled it and now it's working.

Btw I don't know if I'm just imaging it but it feels like my laptop is now faster even when compiling... :)

Edit: Now another problem I've never seen before trying Jackass. While emerging KDE 3.4:

*** Gentoo sanity check failed! ***
*** libtool.m4 and ltmain.sh have a version mismatch! ***
*** (libtool.m4 = 1.5.14, ltmain.sh = 1.5) ***

Trying to re-emerge libtool...

Edit: I found a bug on this on bugs.gentoo.org. Sorry to bother you. :)
Works now.
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject: i Reply with quote

Hi all
it is nice to sea iptables included in LiveCD and some other stuff like mc may be even Wiondow manager.
Do you have such plans ?

iptables ca be very very usefull whan installing Gentoo Jackass on gateway or proxy without disconecting network.
mudrii
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some problem in CFLAGS recommendation
After cecking GCC manual and compare with your flags i discover some inconsistency
You recomand for CFLAGS
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=pentium -mtune=pentium"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -pipe"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -03"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fweb"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -frename-registers"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fforce-addr"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -momit-leaf-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -fomit-frame-pointer"
CFLAGS="${CFLAGS} -ftracer"

GCC manual
Code:
1. -march=cpu-type
    Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type. The choices for cpu-type are the same as for -mtune. Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type.

Note: Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type implies -mtune=cpu-type

Code:
2. -O3
    Optimize yet more. -O3 turns on all optimizations specified by -O2 and also turns on the -finline-functions, -fweb and -frename-registers options.

Note: -O3 turns on -fweb

About -momit-leaf-frame-pointer
Code:
3. -fomit-frame-pointer tell the compiler to stop adding debug information, remove the -g option from CFLAGS. Then, in its place, add -fomit-frame-pointer. This tells gcc to free up another of the x86's limited number of registers for general use, and is probably the single greatest improvement you can have, as gcc likes lots of registers. If you do want debug info and you're using gcc 3.X, you can keep the -g option and add -momit-leaf-frame-pointer. This gives you the advantages of -fomit-frame-pointer in some cases while still keeping useful debugging information.

Note: usualy -momit-leaf-frame-pointer make code bigar and slower

And way you do not include LDFLAGS > ?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: