View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, just right click the icon, and you should get a context menu that has icon resizing as an option.

Don't know what to tell you about XMMS, though. After reading your post, I checked my Gnome menu and my XMMS launcher has now been removed as well; pisses me off. I too caught the 2.10 stable upgrade, but it's not everything I'd hoped it would be, to put it mildly.

On removing the annoying menu labels, you could try first deleting them entirely by right clicking the top-level label and selecting 'Remove from Panel'. Then all you have to do is right-click your now empty Gnome panel, choose 'Add to Panel', then select 'Main Menu' from the list of choices. This way you'll get the Gnome foot icon (depending on your theme) with all the menu categories in it, rather than the annoying three separate menus.
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
AFAIK, just right click the icon, and you should get a context menu that has icon resizing as an option.

Yeah, but generally I find the icons way to large (also in the Gnome menu, the buttons ("open" etc.) in most applications etc.). My notebook has only got XGA resolution, so I really don't want to waste space. I'm not 80 years old either, my eyes are rather good.

Quote:
On removing the annoying menu labels, you could try first deleting them entirely by right clicking the top-level label and selecting 'Remove from Panel'. Then all you have to do is right-click your now empty Gnome panel, choose 'Add to Panel', then select 'Main Menu' from the list of choices. This way you'll get the Gnome foot icon (depending on your theme) with all the menu categories in it, rather than the annoying three separate menus.

Thanks! :)
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GroennDemon wrote:
But why is my Gnome menu suddenly so small? Seems like a lot is missing... at least XMMS.

XMMS doesn't show in the menu because when it gets installed, its .desktop file doesn't comply with the standards Gnome needs. To have it show up in the menu:

Code:
vim /usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop

and change
Code:
Encoding=Legacy-Mixed

to
Code:
Encoding=UTF-8

and then :wq

The next thing you know, *poof!*, XMMS now has a shortcut in the Applications > Sound & Video

Oh, to have XMMS's icon show up in the menu, add /usr/share/pixmaps/ to the icon path.
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bertaboy,

thanks for your support.

Oh my god, did Gnome change the character encoding :( ? I was quite content with ISO-8859-15.
Where can I change it?

Where would I set the icon path?

Btw, my Gnome menu now contains a couple of English folders (with a standard folder icon instead of those fancy pixmaps), "Settings" for example.
Is there a way to make them show up as beautiful - and German?

Regards,
Grønn Demon
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is wrong with my network-applet (see image, difficult to describe)?
http://desk.hottemptation.org/network_applet.png

Most time boot Icons are "Non", only if my wireless-nic is sending, the left one is switching to "normal".
Wrong net-config (eth0 is the normal nic, eth1 is the wireless nic, only eth1 is up)?

Quote:
# /etc/conf.d/net:
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/conf.d/net,v 1.7 2002/11/18 19:39:22 azarah Exp $

# Global config file for net.* rc-scripts

config_eth0=( "192.168.1.222 netmask 255.255.255.0" )
routes_eth0=( "default gw 192.168.1.1" )
config_eth1=( "dhcp" )

modules=( "iwconfig" )
preferred_aps=( "3Com" )

If there are silly questions about the security of my access-point :D
Its only free for MY nic ;)
Psycho_Dad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Problem starting gnome after 2.10 update Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a problem after updating to Gnome 2.10. Whenever i try to log into Gnome, the system freezes while displaying the gentoo splashimage (no error messages are shown). I have no problem logging into Gnome as root, so I assume it has got something to do with permissions. The strange thing is this: /dev/null is only read-/writeable by root when the system starts up. If i do a chmod 666 /dev/null, thereby giving all users read/write permissions, Gnome no longer freezes when logging in with a normal user, but instead gives an error message:

"your session only lasted less than 10 seconds.... blah blah.... view details (~/.xsession-errors file)."

xsession-errors contains the following:
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: Registering your session with wtmp and utmp
/etc/X11/gdm/PreSession/Default: running /usr/bin/X11/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/gdm/:0. Xservers" -h "" -l ":0" "stephan"
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session startup
/etc/X11/gdm/Xsession: Setup done, will execute: /usr/bin/ssh-agent -- gnome-session
PRNG is not seeded

What is PRNG?

When i do the chmod 666 /dev/null trick, I am able to log into Gnome in failsafe mode. (Without this step, I get a "fatal error" message instead, that doesn't give any specific information regarding the cause of the problem).

Any ideas?
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GroennDemon wrote:
Btw, my Gnome menu now contains a couple of English folders (with a standard folder icon instead of those fancy pixmaps), "Settings" for example.
Is there a way to make them show up as beautiful - and German?

Regards,
Grønn Demon

Ich denke das du kannst das machen, aber vielleicht braucht es GDM....
Try choosing "German" as the language selection in GDM, then log in through GDM. I'm thinking that might set it as a work-around....
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give it a try (although I think it's already set to German as all other menu items are German).
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I also have a problem after updating gnome-menus :
there is an English 'settings' menu in Applications and Settings while my other menus are in French.
Moreover, the 'delete' context menu has disappered, so that I can't delete this one any longer. How come ?

Then, when I click in this menu : Settings->LookNFeek->Gtk Styles and Fonts, I have an error message saying I have no 'kcmshell' -- what's the fuck ??? Isn't it KDE related ?

Is there a way to switch back ?
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we've got the same problem...
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, :(
I'm thinking about re-emerging gnome-menus with -kde USE flag, just in case...
What do you think ?
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have -kde in my USE flags...
ats2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right : I did it and it changed nothing. :(
Well, what now ?
Psycho_Dad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: RE: Problem starting gnome after 2.10 update Reply with quote

In case someone is interested, I found a solution to the problem I described a few posts earlier regarding problems with starting Gnome. It turned out that the problem was in fact due to permission-issues; when I did a chmod 666 /dev/null and chmod 666 /dev/random the problem disappeared and Gnome started up just fine. The problem was caused by udev (which sets permissions on number of files, including /dev/null and /dev/random) not having an up-to-date config-file, which means that it didn't apply the rules specified in the (old) config-files, but instead used some default permissions. I solved the problem by running etc-update and updated all config-files related to udev.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GroennDemon wrote:
Oh my god, did Gnome change the character encoding :( ? I was quite content with ISO-8859-15.
Where can I change it?

Where would I set the icon path?

In this case, since we're dealing with the XMMS .desktop file, you would set the encoding and icon path options within the file itself. So fire up your favorite editor, in my case I'll use nano:
Code:
# nano /usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop

Then change the Encoding and Icon lines to the following
Code:
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mini/xmms_mini.xpm

Note that hardcoding the icon path seems to be the only way to get this to work; the relative path provided doesn't seem to work anymore.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrew_wiggin wrote:
Anyone got the logout button to show restart\shutdown options?
mine only logs out, and i digged over the gdm configuration, still doesn't work :(
I don't like to "su, init 0" everytime to shutdown my pc =\

Just upgraded to 2.10 on AMD64. Everything seems to be working fine. But I also have this same question. I went in as root and chmod +s on shutdown and halt, and I've verified I can use them as a non-root user. But Restart and Shutdown are still not showing up on the logoff menu (they were on 2.8 before the upgrade.) Any ideas? Thanks.
vipernicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have access to those when I use gdm.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vipernicus wrote:
I only have access to those when I use gdm.

vipernicus, thanks. I verified that if I run gdm, the reboot and shutdown options are indeed available. Is there a way to run gdm without a greeter? I boot up in non-graphical mode and run startx. For all versions of gnome prior to 2.10, I've had the reboot and shutdown options without having to use the greeter.
Lisje
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be able to shutdown/reboot in gnome (using that logout thingie) you must set your settings in session (desktop>preferences>session) to enable: ask on logout (session options tab)

at least I think it was that what I changed to get it working ... hope it works
greets
chrisbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I admit it I'm a complete noob when it comes to emerge and portage (ok and linux in general but I'm learning). I have tried to use this overlay so I coudl edit the gnome menus, but I cannot figure it out.

I create a /usr/local/portage. expanded the linked file in the quote below. Added the PORTDIR to make.conf. When tried the emerge it downgraded my gnome-menus to 2.10.0. I had 2.10.1 installed. This didn't seem right to me - so I stopped the process and unmerged 2.10.0 and re-emerged 2.10.1

Did I do something wrong to get the gnome-menus 2.10.0 instead of 2.10.1?

I got frustrated last night and installed xfce so I could have the menu structure I wanted (I could edit those menus).

Anyway - this is kind of a rant... but I'm also wondering what I did wrong. I would really like to use gnome 2.10 but I also want to add menu items.

--Chrisbs

c0bblers wrote:
Hi,

OK, maybe the web server's going to take a little longer than predicted :oops: , but in the mean time I've installed a piddly little ftp server which you *should* be able to reach at http://17boulden.no-ip.org/smeg-0.5-gnome-menus-cvs-overlay.tar.bz2. The tarball is for your portage overlay, and contains SMEG (Simple Menu Editor for Gnome) 0.5 and a patched version gnome-menus-2.10.1. Note that this has had limited testing by a team of 1 (me) so if it explodes your menu, eats you cat or does anything nasty you have been warned!

Extract the tarball into your overlay then:
Code:

# emerge --oneshot gnome-menus
(I've just left the version number the same so that any updates in portage aren't missed.)
# emerge smeg

Then you *should* be good to go. It's pretty low on bugs from my testing, anything that looks like a bug that I haven't caused should be directed at http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=67. Note there's quite a bit of discussion in that forum so check that any problems haven't already been reported.

Cheers,
James

EDIT: Just noticed that gnome-menus-2.10.1 is currently masked, so you have to unmask it!!

EDIT: Web server's back, changed the URL
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
So fire up your favorite editor, in my case I'll use nano:
Code:
# nano /usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop

Then change the Encoding and Icon lines to the following
Code:
Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mini/xmms_mini.xpm

Note that hardcoding the icon path seems to be the only way to get this to work; the relative path provided doesn't seem to work anymore.

Why does it require UTF-8 now?
Should I still use UTF-8 if my Gnome session is configured as de_DE (which I guess is a synonym for ISO-8859-15)?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, setting it to UTF-8 in no way affects your existing settings. Gnome just needs to see "UTF-8" in the xmms.desktop file to be able to properly use it in the menu.

It's just one of the changes the Gnome developers made for Gnome 2.10; a lot of things have transitioned to UTF-8, if you poke around in the files.
guyr
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisje wrote:
to be able to shutdown/reboot in gnome (using that logout thingie) you must set your settings in session (desktop>preferences>session) to enable: ask on logout (session options tab)

That is already set. It doesn't cause reboot and shutdown to be included in the logout prompt unless I also run gdm. Thanks for the suggestion.
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, nightmorph.
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i use shutdown or reboot from gnome, it just quits from gnome and goes to gdm, should i add permissions for normal users to read and execute /sbin/shutdown?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

Jump to: