Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
Has anyone had problems with the Gnome trash applet? It seems to not reflect the true state of the trash -- it appears full even after I empty the trash, and sometimes appears empty when there are files in the trash.

I believe that might have something to do with gamin.
rapsure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Gnome 2.10 + Smeg Reply with quote

I like gnome 2.10 a lot with Smeg 8) . Without Smeg it is like have one of your arms cut off. I like to customize my menus 8) , and so Smeg worked out really well. I did try denu :( , but Smeg is just meant to work with Gnome, and so it it slicker, and just easier to work with 8) . I found that Smeg still worked without a patched gnome-menus-2.10 8) . I like the layout of Gnome 2.10 I just wish that the Gnome team would have thought about menu editing before they released :wink: .

I tried gnome-menu-editor 0.3 but it can't create the menus, and it crashes. I don't know if it will make it in Gnome 2.12, and that is because it looks like something similiar to Smeg is in the package gnome-menus-2.11.1 already. Two competing methods to modify the menus. Smeg is written in Python, and gnome-menu-editor is written in C. Smeg works now, and gnome-menu-editor is broken still, and riddled with memory leaks. There is be a simple menu-editor that comes with gnome-menus-2.11.1, and it is written in python.
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Gnome 2.10 + Smeg Reply with quote

rapsure wrote:
I found that Smeg still worked without a patched gnome-menus-2.10 8)

It works, but if you try moving a system wide entry to a different folder you end up with the unmodifed entry and the new entry BOTH appearing the the menu.

I'll be moving the overlay onto my newly fixed web server in a while, so if anyone can't download from the previously posted URL you know why.

Cheers,
James
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something is wrong with the whole panel system all together. My "Recent Documents" won't clear off the menu, the Trash applet reflects the state upon login, the battery applet reflects the login state, etc. Logging in and out updates these three things, but if not they'll keep the same state as before. Should I file a bug report? I think this goes a lot farther than just the Trash applet issue.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
Something is wrong with the whole panel system all together. My "Recent Documents" won't clear off the menu, the Trash applet reflects the state upon login, the battery applet reflects the login state, etc. Logging in and out updates these three things, but if not they'll keep the same state as before. Should I file a bug report? I think this goes a lot farther than just the Trash applet issue.

Thats a gamin issue. I am running CVS and it solves the document entry clearing and trash...I dont have battery so I cannot test that, but they should all work. Look to gamin to solve the problem, not gnome-panels.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
wilburpan wrote:
Has anyone had problems with the Gnome trash applet? It seems to not reflect the true state of the trash -- it appears full even after I empty the trash, and sometimes appears empty when there are files in the trash.

Maybe, except that I have fam installed, not gamin:

Code:
# emerge -pv gamin

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] app-admin/fam (is blocking app-admin/gamin-0.0.26-r6)
[ebuild  N    ] app-admin/gamin-0.0.26-r6  -debug -doc 472 kB

Total size of downloads: 472 kB

Should I switch over and see if that helps?
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilburpan wrote:
Lokheed wrote:
wilburpan wrote:

Maybe, except that I have fam installed, not gamin:

Code:
# emerge -pv gamin

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[blocks B     ] app-admin/fam (is blocking app-admin/gamin-0.0.26-r6)
[ebuild  N    ] app-admin/gamin-0.0.26-r6  -debug -doc 472 kB

Total size of downloads: 472 kB

Should I switch over and see if that helps?

Ouch...using FAM with Gnome...ouch. Yes, I would certainly switch but then you are going to have to make sure inotify is up to date and I believe the latest gamin in portage wont fix the problem. There has been tons of work on the cvs version and it finally works near perfectly (still the odd time it fails) but its a major improvement on the latest portage release.

I would use gamin no matter what but if you want to strictly fix your problem, then there is no point in switching over yet till the new version is released to the public. FAM is dead though and has been for a while (I believe they started working on it again or tried to but its been years and its moved up one or two versions compared to gamin which is miles better (no reliance on portmap) and under heavy development). If you are running Gnome, even KDE, I would use gamin without question.
jUmB0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: gnome-games ???? Reply with quote

ive gone thru the forums and the thread this is an extension of (all 25 pages) and i guess im the only one having this problem

gnome-games will not compile, i thought it was my agressive gcc optimizations but its not i tried it with no flags and it still fails, i thought it was nptl but others have no problem

ive tried +howl -howl +guile -guile and every variation thereof, same thing

i thought maybe it was a heat issue (this box is 20 miles away so i cant just feel the side of the case) but every other part of gnome 2.10 compiles with ease

it breaks at the same place everytime, which appears to be a problem in the code itself

i686-pc-linux-gnu-g++ -O3 -march=pentium3 -mtune=pentium3 -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse -pipe -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -fomit-frame-pointer -funroll-loops -funroll-all-loops -fthread-jumps -fforce-addr -frerun-cse-after-loop -frerun-loop-opt -fexpensive-optimizations -falign-functions=4 -falign-jumps=4 -o blackjack strategy.o player.o hand.o game.o blackjack.o splash.o slot.o dialog.o events.o draw.o menu.o press_data.o card.o chips.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread /usr/lib/libglade-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgnomeui-2.so -lSM -lICE /usr/lib/libbonoboui-2.so /usr/lib/libxml2.so -lz /usr/lib/libgnomecanvas-2.so /usr/lib/libgnome-2.so /usr/lib/libpopt.so /usr/lib/libart_lgpl_2.so /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so /usr/lib/libbonobo-2.so /usr/lib/libgconf-2.so /usr/lib/libgnomevfs-2.so /usr/lib/libbonobo-activation.so /usr/lib/libORBit-2.so /usr/lib/libgthread-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgtk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgdk-x11-2.0.so /usr/lib/libatk-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangoxft-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpangox-1.0.so /usr/lib/libpango-1.0.so /usr/lib/librsvg-2.so /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf-2.0.so -lm /usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so /usr/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so -ldl /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so ../../libgames-support/.libs/libgames-support.a /usr/lib/libhowl.so -lpthread
game.o(.text+0xf3f): In function `bj_game_new(char*, unsigned int*)':
: undefined reference to `g_mkdir(char const*, int)'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [blackjack] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.10.1/work/gnome-games-2.10.1/blackjack/src'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.10.1/work/gnome-games-2.10.1/blackjack'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/gnome-games-2.10.1/work/gnome-games-2.10.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

!!! ERROR: gnome-extra/gnome-games-2.10.1 failed.
!!! Function gnome2_src_compile, Line 40, Exitcode 2

any clues ????
rndmtask
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: gnome-games ???? Reply with quote

jUmB0 wrote:

gnome-games will not compile, i thought it was my agressive gcc optimizations but its not i tried it with no flags and it still fails, i thought it was nptl but others have no problem

g_mkdir is a function of glib. maybe you used agressive optimizations on it as well. thats your problem, its either not finding glib properly, or glib is messed up.
jUmB0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 3:33 am    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

seems i had to recompile glib, not with anything special, just had to recompile it

go figure
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
GaMMa wrote:

Thats a gamin issue. I am running CVS and it solves the document entry clearing and trash...I dont have battery so I cannot test that, but they should all work. Look to gamin to solve the problem, not gnome-panels.

Thanks! I never knew about gamin, and have been using fam for a while and had to manually refresh windows to see updated stuff. This updates stuff upon creation. :D! Is there a replacement to updatedb/slocate? I don't want to use Beagle because it uses mono, but am open to alternatives.
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
Thanks! I never knew about gamin, and have been using fam for a while and had to manually refresh windows to see updated stuff. This updates stuff upon creation. :D! Is there a replacement to updatedb/slocate? I don't want to use Beagle because it uses mono, but am open to alternatives.

Yes, thats how it should be. If you have to hit refresh to update items in Nautilus, its not working properly. The beauty of Gnome is always being up to date on any changes instantly and without user input.

Replacements for updatedb/slocate are unknown. I dont use them but Beagle I have seen running and its amazing. The only downside I guess is having to install the mono libraries. I cant help you here, sorry.
c0bblers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
GaMMa wrote:

Yes, thats how it should be. If you have to hit refresh to update items in Nautilus, its not working properly. The beauty of Gnome is always being up to date on any changes instantly and without user input.

Replacements for updatedb/slocate are unknown. I dont use them but Beagle I have seen running and its amazing. The only downside I guess is having to install the mono libraries. I cant help you here, sorry.

Hmm, so inotify/gamin is looking better nowadays then....I try it every month or so to see how things are and then usually end up back with FAM. Inotify/gamin has a nasty habit of oopsing, preventing unmounts and generally not actually doing anything on my machine. Perhaps I'll try CVS then.

Cheers,
James
vibhavgarg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason Removable Storage is not showing up in Desktop->Preferences menu. Anyone know why? Hoe can I fix it?

Thanks
Vibhav
{{Azrael}}
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamin sounds great! I'll look forward to using it, though, I'll wait for it to become marked at stable :)
rapsure
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: smeg and incomplete implementation Reply with quote

I did some testing with smeg to see why when you deleted an entry in the menu, and the item was a system wide entry as to why it didn't delete. They synopsis is that the system menu items have higher priority than the local. That makes it so that the system wide will over ride all local .desktop entries that have the same name as in the /usr/share/applications directory. The freedesktop standard to over ride that is to add an <AppDir></AppDir> in a menu entry. That will change the priority to your local directory. Another bug is that when you move an entry that is system wide to another submenu the entry you get a duplicate in both locations. This can be dealt with by adding an <Exclude></Exclude> to your local applications.menu file. The deviation from the standard is that it assumes that local has higher priority than system, and that is incorrect. :wink:
Highlands
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little question, where is the 2.10 gnome-menu ?? i can't find it
Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highlands wrote:
Just a little question, where is the 2.10 gnome-menu ?? i can't find it

Its plural: gnome-menus

Quote:
* installed packages
[I--] [ ] gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.10.1 (0)
* Portage tree (/usr/portage)
[-P-] [ ~] gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.10.0 (0)
[-P-] [ ~] gnome-base/gnome-menus-2.9.92 (0)

Lokheed
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

{{Azrael}} wrote:
Gamin sounds great! I'll look forward to using it, though, I'll wait for it to become marked at stable :)

Wont have to wait too long. 0.1.0 is going to be released in a matter of days :D
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone here using file-roller? I'll view an archive and try to drag and drop files out into a folder. Sometimes they don't move the files over, but instead a progress bar opens then closes and nothing is moved? Any idea why it's happening and how to fix it? I'm not sure if it's a nautilus bug or a file roller bug..
DecayCell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lokheed wrote:
{{Azrael}} wrote:

Wont have to wait too long. 0.1.0 is going to be released in a matter of days :D

It seems that the source is already available.
southsider
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
Anyone here using file-roller? I'll view an archive and try to drag and drop files out into a folder. Sometimes they don't move the files over, but instead a progress bar opens then closes and nothing is moved? Any idea why it's happening and how to fix it? I'm not sure if it's a nautilus bug or a file roller bug..

Yes I get that all the time.
Bepcyc
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southsider wrote:
GaMMa wrote:

Yes I get that all the time.

The only solution I found is to wait before progress ba stops to act (just don't release your mouse button). I guess this time is needed to decompress the archive.
It's a bug, I'm shure ;))
andrew_wiggin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone got the logout button to show restart\shutdown options?
mine only logs out, and i digged over the gdm configuration, still doesn't work :(
I don't like to "su, init 0" everytime to shutdown my pc =\
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sry to ask this, but how do u upgrade to gnome 2.10.. it will take too long to read through both of these threads
is it still ~x86? if it is.. is it really worth it to upgrade?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: