View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DecayCell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: clearlooks engine... Reply with quote

sylware wrote:
Anybody to provide ebuild for the clearlooks engine... indeed many recent themes use this engine :?:

It's included in gtk-engines-2.6.3, which is installed by the gnome ebuild and is marked stable for x86.
aarestad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GaMMa wrote:
Try emerging gnome-menus and gnome-vfs again, totally restart xdm and log in and out again. If not someone had this issue in gnome-2.8. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-1806183.html#1806183 with their more hackerish fix. Tell me how it goes..

Well, it didn't work so well. :cry: I tried the suggestions provided in the post you linked to (removing all the gconf/gnome/metacity/nautilus directories - my /etc/gnome-vfs-2.0/vfolders/applications-all-users.vfolder-info was identical to the one in the post), but no dice. Any other suggestions?
DecayCell
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a new user, log in with it, and see whether all goes well. If it does, it's something to do with your config files...
sog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody know why pam might kick out? i got about halfway through the build, but the emerge of pam kicked out with the following:

Code:
 * Checking if all modules were built...

* ERROR: pam_cracklib have dependencies in /usr.

!!! ERROR: sys-libs/pam-0.78-r2 failed.
!!! Function src_install, Line 302, Exitcode 0
!!! pam_cracklib have dependencies in /usr.

my first thought was disk space, but i should have plenty of room for this. any thoughts/tips appreciated, b/c with a halfway install of Gnome nothing works ;)

Update: guess it's nothing to do with the Gnome build; it's an old problem. for anyone with similar problems, see thread here https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-306307-highlight-pamcracklib+dependencies.html.
aarestad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DecayCell wrote:
Create a new user, log in with it, and see whether all goes well. If it does, it's something to do with your config files...

What ended up happening is when I did my initial "emerge -u world", I thought I saw that all of GNOME 2.10 would be installed (I'm not using ~x86), but obviously I was mistaken. Once I added gnome-base/gnome ~x86 to my /etc/portage/package.keywords and did emerge -u world again, everything was fine. Why is gnome-base/gnome ~x86 while everything else is stable x86?...

-peter
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aarestad wrote:
DecayCell wrote:

What ended up happening is when I did my initial "emerge -u world", I thought I saw that all of GNOME 2.10 would be installed (I'm not using ~x86), but obviously I was mistaken. Once I added gnome-base/gnome ~x86 to my /etc/portage/package.keywords and did emerge -u world again, everything was fine. Why is gnome-base/gnome ~x86 while everything else is stable x86?...

-peter

At first (being monday) I thought it was a mirror/sync problem. But my gnome-base/gnome is still at 2.8.3-r1... the 'about gnome' dialog says 2.10.0 though. I've been on 2.10 since it was hardmasked. And when the rest hig x86 I updated everything including downgrading the metapackage to 2.8.3-r1. wierd.

- Jon
downey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a few weird problems with the menus so far. When I first updated I ended up with 2 quake3 menu items in Applications/Games and I was missing a XMMS item in Video & Sound. I poked around /usr/share/applications and xmms.display was there and looked to be correct and the same with quake3.desktop. There looks to be a gnome-menu-spec-test command that you can run that will list the applications that it parses correctly. I noticed xmms was missing so I started messing around with the xmms.desktop file.

Once I changed the Encoding field to UTF-8 xmms started appearing up in the list, but it had no icon. I then changed the Icon field to /usr/share/pixmaps/mini/xmms_mini.xpm and everything works correct now. I would suppect that gnome-2.10 should support relative directories in the Icon path so I'm wondering if something is wrong with my system. Did anyone else have any issues with XMMS? Also I still haven't figured out why I'm getting 2 quake3 menu items. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
tweak13
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having that same problem with XMMS (maybe a few others too, my menus overall seem a lot less populated than before) as seen in this thread. I can't figure out why it isn't working, everything seems correct to me. I'm also having trouble with sound since I upgraded. Every time I reboot every channel gets muted and I have to run alsamixer and set everything again. This and other crap has me ready to downgrade but with the meta package still listing itself as 2.8.3-r1 I don't know if that's even possible.

Watching my roommate use KDE without fighting it is making me want to switch back to that again too *shudders*
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can u add directories to menu (.directory)
i tried putting .directory files in /usr/share/applications but it didnt show up

also after editing with denu there was Other in the Menu which i could only remove by removing the whole menu from /etc/xdg/menus but how can i actually remove just the items, theyre not in ~/.config ~/.denu or /usr/share/applications
downey
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked in /usr/share/desktop-directories/ ? There looks to be quite a bit of stuff in there. Not too sure how it all works. I would say that the whole gnome menu stuff is in a fairly development state right now. Hopefully they will have things sorted out by 2.10.1 or 2.10.2.
tscolari
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im having problems with menus too...

i dont know, each new version of gnome they cut off an useful thing... I dont use a lot gnome, just using it while im working in my fvwm theme... but before there was a very nice aplication manager where was easy and nice to configure which program use with each kind of file, then they cutted it in the 2.8.
In the 2.8 you could add itens to menus without problem by the right button, now in the 2.10 this doesnt exist anymore...
just getting more disapointed with each new version :(
russianpirate
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tscolari wrote:
im having problems with menus too...

i dont know, each new version of gnome they cut off an useful thing... I dont use a lot gnome, just using it while im working in my fvwm theme... but before there was a very nice aplication manager where was easy and nice to configure which program use with each kind of file, then they cutted it in the 2.8.
In the 2.8 you could add itens to menus without problem by the right button, now in the 2.10 this doesnt exist anymore...
just getting more disapointed with each new version :(

amen
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they're just trying to make gnome more modular and incorporate more projects (and dependencies :P). Gnome-2.12 will probably havea seperate menu editor program.. They might have tried to include something like denu but couldn't make it stable enough before the feature freeze..
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

russianpirate wrote:
i tried putting .directory files in /usr/share/applications but it didnt show up

also after editing with denu there was Other in the Menu which i could only remove by removing the whole menu from /etc/xdg/menus but how can i actually remove just the items, theyre not in ~/.config ~/.denu or /usr/share/applications

If you manually add new menus try logging in and then back out...
Doogman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I fixed all the minor Gnome menu quirks I had with my system. Here's some tips:

The program "gnome-menu-spec-test" is your friend. It will tell you where in the filesystem the menu entries are hiding. Also, you do NOT need to log out/in to see changes. They show up immediately.

doug@ghidorah applications $ gnome-menu-spec-test | grep xmms
Sound & Video/ xmms.desktop /usr/share/applications/xmms.desktop

Here's what a dupe looks like:

doug@ghidorah applications $ gnome-menu-spec-test | grep -i blob
Games/ blobwars.desktop /usr/share/gnome/apps/Games/blobwars.desktop
Games/ kde-blobwars.desktop /usr/share/applnk/Games/Arcade/blobwars.desktop

Xmms was the only "broken" .desktop file I found. I think this is all I changed:

Encoding=UTF-8
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/mini/xmms_mini.xpm

Using the program mentioned above and a text editor should allow you to fix-up your menus. I believe I had only one missing entry, xmms, and a few dupes. Of course YMMV.
GaMMa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA! I found out how to get the battery applet to update when the AC is unplugged/replugged. Add acpi_irq_balance to the boot line. Wohoo :D.
rrowv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, gnome and gnome-light 2.10 stable are now in the portage tree (everything else has been there for days). Think I'l take the dive tomorrow
iormungand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
russianpirate wrote:

It's simple:
1) modify your /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu like this:
Code:
  <!-- Games -->
  <Menu>
    <Name>Games</Name>
    <Directory>Games.directory</Directory>
    <Include>
      <And>
        <Category>Game</Category>
      </And>
    </Include>

<Menu>
          <Name>Emulatori</Name>
          <Directory>Emulatori.directory</Directory>
          <Include>
               <And>
                 <Category>Emulatori</Category>
               </And>
          </Include>
     </Menu>

</Menu> <!-- End Games -->

2) create the .directory file (in this case Emulatori.directory) in /usr/share/desktop-directories/, like this one:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Name=Emulatori
Comment=
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/package_games.png
Type=Directory
Encoding=UTF-8

3) to populate the directory create or modify the .desktop files (in /usr/share/applications) with the appropriate Categories line:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=AdvanceMenu
GenericName=AdvanceMenu
Comment=Play and browse classic arcade games
Exec=advmenu
Icon=package_games_arcade
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Emulatori

To refresh the menu log out and in again or use:

Code:
$ killall gnome-panel

but in this case some application may crash...:roll:
bertaboy
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome is unmasked for x86 now...
wickwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinger wrote:

Quote:

Hi all,

Ever since I upgraded to 2.10, my keyboard has refused to work in GNOME: The cursor blinks whenever I type something, but no text is printed. Downgrading to 2.8 solves the problem. Any ideas what might be wrong? I am temporarily exiled in XFCE-4 (and enjoying myself quite a bit, I might add), but I would really like to be able to use GNOME.

Short of an answer for the above (and although this is probably a VFAQ) how would I go about rebuilding all of GNOME without having to go through the list of packages myself? (other than --emptytree which is a bit too extreme for me).

It happened to me too - over here, gnome-settings-daemon is the one to blame, I have it loading with my .xsession file, disabling it gave me back characters being displayed as I type - however, all configs (wallpaper, etc) are missing, I'm recompiling the gnome control-center, which owns gnome-settings-daemon in the hopes that it fixes things, if not I'll try downgrading just this one package to the previous version...
hoschi
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is that right:

gnome-network has been masked, for the new baselayout -> incompatible?
-> and this is the reason why "network-applet" is no longer working correct?
benedictbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: broken/missing panel applets in gnome 2.10 Reply with quote

Does anybody know what happened to the wireless link applet in gnome 2.10? It's gone, and I don't believe it's part of the gnome-network package.

Also, the keyboard switcher applet is no longer displaying flags for the different layouts (or even text labels). Instead it only displays a generic x-in-a-circle image. This is, of course, extremely irritating. Perhaps there's another package with the pixmaps that I need to install? Some of the other applets certainly required new support packages in 2.10 from 2.8.

Thanks,
Benedict
benedictbrown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: broken/missing panel applets in gnome 2.10 Reply with quote

benedictbrown wrote:
Does anybody know what happened to the wireless link applet in gnome 2.10? It's gone, and I don't believe it's part of the gnome-network package.

Also, the keyboard switcher applet is no longer displaying flags for the different layouts (or even text labels). Instead it only displays a generic x-in-a-circle image. This is, of course, extremely irritating. Perhaps there's another package with the pixmaps that I need to install? Some of the other applets certainly required new support packages in 2.10 from 2.8.

Thanks,
Benedict

Ok, I have a combination of answers and workarounds for myself and anyone else with this problem:

The network status monitor seems to have been broken out into the gnome-nettool package. An information message in the gnome-applets-2.10 ebuild would be quite helpful for people like me who install packages piecemeal rather than just emerging gnome.

The keyboard indicator problem can be dealt with by creating the /usr/share/pixmaps/gkb directory and putting all the flag images there. In 2.8 the images lived in the gkb-new applet, but in 2.10 they disappeared (I double-checked the original Gnome tarballs). If anyone knows what package they moved to in Gnome, I would love to know--they don't seem to be anywhere obvious. If they have indeed moved rather than disappeared, that package should become a dependency for gnome-applets, or at least the ebuild should include a message about it like I'm suggesting for the network status applet.

Benedict
wickwire
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:58 pm    Post subject: Keyboard - no input (came back to haunt) Reply with quote

Going to the Gnome Control Panel and changing the keyboard layout (apart from setting the language) seems to fix it - I'm using a Porguese keyboard and up until now the settings were for Generic 101-key PC, changing it to Generic 104-key PC solved my problem - however I'm still missing the "minor" "major" keys, Generic 105-key PC won't work...

After typing and only watching the cursor blink on the console, not actually writing anything, when exiting FVWM and X I'd get errors refering ASCII codes not being found... Hope this Helps!

Code:
No symbols defined for (character) (keycode)

I'm still getting it.

Update: after reboot the problems came back and changing keyboard layout won't do any good...

Last edited by wickwire on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
GroennDemon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so now I've updated to Gnome 2.10. After fixing several config files in /etc, my system more or less worked again.

But why is my Gnome menu suddenly so small? Seems like a lot is missing... at least XMMS.

Btw, is there a way to get rid of those irritating labels? I KNOW that that menu contains my applications, we don't need to use so much space for it.

And what about the icons (on my desktop etc.): Isn't there a way to make them smaller (generally, not only the ones already there - I know that I can resize them.)

TIA.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: