Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After I upgraded to modular X.org I followed the fonts howto http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts and then everything was beautiful.
Mindphaser
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smypee wrote:
After I upgraded to modular X.org I followed the fonts howto http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts and then everything was beautiful.

thanx, but that didnt helped me.
But after I emerged "font-adobe-75dpi" everything looked like before :) Looks like this wasnt a dependency of xorg when I emerged it, but now it is
Mindphaser
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

desT- wrote:
read this

Just apply this patch.
Zee
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the nvidia driver and the system "feels" much faster, no 3D acceleration though but can live without it.

we'll see.

zee
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the random freezing. Not all through OpenGL intensive stuff either -- often it's when I'm browsing in Firefox. I recently got new hard drives because my old ones were making some noise and I thought they might be about to fail, causing the problem. After a fresh install of Gentoo on the new drives, I just had my first lockup. I have a geforce FX 5200. I'm running:

xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
nvidia-kernel-1.0.8178-r3
nvidia-glx-1.0.8178-r1
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in some other forum that setting AGP to lower speed (2x/4x) and turning of AGP fast writes may help. Unfortuantely my bios does not support adjusting these values and I can't figure out how to tell agpgart to do so. maybe someone with the lockups and a bios that supports AGP mode setting could try out...
Kronoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never has these lockups with Xorg version in Debian repos.
X Window System Version 6.9.0 (Debian 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 20060403233528 David Nusinow <dnusinow@debian.org>)
nVidia GeForce 6200
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronoz wrote:
I've never has these lockups with Xorg version in Debian repos.
X Window System Version 6.9.0 (Debian 6.9.0.dfsg.1-6 20060403233528 David Nusinow <dnusinow@debian.org>)
Yes, but have you ever had the lockups with your system? This problem doesn't happen to everyone. But, if you had the problem with your system and now with that version of Xorg you do not, then this information would be helpful.
harlequin11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Freezing problems :( Reply with quote

Damn, now I'm getting the same problems.

Recently upgraded to modular x, then;
xgl
gcc3.4
emerge world
kernel upgrade (2.6.9 - 2.6.16)

In that order. Now whenever the screensaver starts it runs for an arbitrary amount of time and then I get a complete freeze, I have yet to experience a non-screensaver freeze but it does freeze sometimes with the xscreensaver preview winow open.

EDIT: My very latest move there was upgrading the kernel. Fortunately I still have 2.6.9 in my grub conf so I'm going to go back and try that out. I'll let you know how I go.

EDIT2: Okay, so 3 hours in an it's looking good. So it's either something I've compiled into the kernel, or something that's happened during boot with the new kernel. Could it be that modular X requires the kernel under which it's built? Seems highly unlikely, but that's one conclusion to draw from the pattern of peoples experiences.

L
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theory is that it has something to do with hardware accelleration. Because I could get it by doing nothing (I use KDE) while other people would have to be doing something 3D (like a screensaver). However, I found last year that QT uses OpenGL libraries. So, just using KDE could cause a freeze because it's using OpenGL. I wonder if GTK and Gnome are the same way.
harlequin11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue with that theory - at least with respect to the problem that I was experiencing - is that I was using xgl and even when I was madly rotating my desktop around, I didn't experience a crash. For me it was only when a screensaver was running.
Kronoz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan83vt wrote:
My theory is that it has something to do with hardware accelleration. Because I could get it by doing nothing (I use KDE) while other people would have to be doing something 3D (like a screensaver). However, I found last year that QT uses OpenGL libraries. So, just using KDE could cause a freeze because it's using OpenGL. I wonder if GTK and Gnome are the same way.

I'm not sure whether it is anything to do with hardware accelaration as i've had lockups when using vesa drivers.
nVidia GeForce 6200
ryan83vt
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's everything I know:
I think the switch to my new video card is what screwed it up for me. I've tried older kernel versions, newer kernel versions, older and newer nvidia drivers, and get the lockups with all. I've also replaced my hard drives but that wasn't it. I also know that when I'm in Windows I get no crashes. However, I have not yet tried playing a video game in Windows to see if maybe it really is a hardware problem. In linux, I'm currently using the nv driver and I haven't had a lockup for several days.
harlequin11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest, what kernels have you used?
harlequin11
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just booted into windows to play Civ4 and I experienced the same kind of hard crash when a saved game was loading. I'm thinking it's a hardware issue which is a real shit. Interestingly enough though, I still have yet to experience a crash in nix under 2.6.9 running full acceleration under Gnome + XGL, I find that really strange...
chookie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Guys, ive been following this thread for a few weeks. I too have the same problem :(
But what ive noticed is a lot of us have similar system specs..

im running -

Gentoo Linux Kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r7
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
1024GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6100

i also notice that it will crash very easily under a web browser... especially if i use the scroll bar and scroll quickly.
also changing my frame buffer size (i got onboard graphics) will change the frequency of lockups... but i havent played around with this enough.

ive used the vga, vesa, and nv drivers with no luck.

i mite just slap on a different PCI-Ex card.

so frustrating!!!!
dan
guino
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Same as chookie Reply with quote

Hi there,

I also have been following this for some time. Also, as previous post, I see random locks quite often when,

1: playing with scroll bars
2: when I start typing an http address, and the selector of previous sites in the history appears under the address field.
3: 1 and 2 specially in konqueror as opposite to firefox
4: spontaneously when screen saver starts
5: glxgears behaves oddly

My specs, similar as previous post,
2.6.16-gentoo-r3
x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (1Gb RAM)
x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0-r1
nForce3 chipset
nVidia Corporation NV34 [GeForce FX 5200]
sys-libs/glibc-2.4-r1 USE="nls nptl nptlonly userlocales"
media-video/nvidia-kernel-1.0.8756

prelink

I am also available for some testing if needed.

-Alex

chookie wrote:
Hey Guys, ive been following this thread for a few weeks. I too have the same problem :(
But what ive noticed is a lot of us have similar system specs..

im running -

Gentoo Linux Kernel 2.6.15-gentoo-r7
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+
1024GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 6100

i also notice that it will crash very easily under a web browser... especially if i use the scroll bar and scroll quickly.
also changing my frame buffer size (i got onboard graphics) will change the frequency of lockups... but i havent played around with this enough.

ive used the vga, vesa, and nv drivers with no luck.

i mite just slap on a different PCI-Ex card.

so frustrating!!!!
dan
hlevyn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all,

I recently upgraded from X.org 6.8.2-r6 to X.org 7.0-r1 and am now getting some funky results. The main error I'm aware of right now is that windows do not seem to finish drawing. A screenshot of what I mean can be found here. This happens with all applications, I'm just using Firefox as an example. Other information about my system is as follows:
xorg.conf
Code:
[ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0-r1  USE="-3dfx" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse -acecad -aiptek -calcomp -citron -digitaledge -dmc -dynapro -elo2300 -elographics -evdev -fpit -hyperpen -jamstudio -joystick -magellan -magictouch -microtouch -mutouch -palmax -penmount -spaceorb -summa -synaptics -tek4957 -ur98 -vmmouse -void -wacom" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia -apm -ark -chips -cirrus -cyrix -dummy -fbdev -fglrx -glint -i128 -i740 -i810 -imstt -mach64 -mga -neomagic -nsc -nv -r128 -radeon -rendition -s3 -s3virge -savage -siliconmotion -sis -sisusb -tdfx -tga -trident -tseng -v4l -vesa -vga -via -vmware -voodoo" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/gnome-2.14.0  USE="cdr dvdr -accessibility -hal" 0 kB
Code:
Portage 2.1_pre9-r4 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.6, glibc-2.4-r1, 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.16-gentoo-r3 i686 AMD Athlon(TM) XP 2100+
Gentoo Base System version 1.12.0_pre18
dev-lang/python:     2.4.2-r3
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r2
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r5
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/env /usr/kde/3.3/share/config /usr/kde/3.3/shutdown /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/eselect/compiler /etc/gconf /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -O3 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage /usr/local/breakMyGentoo/bmg-main"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="x86 X acl alsa apache apache2 apm arts audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts browserplugin bzip2 cdr cdrom cli crypt cups curl dba dri dvd dvdr eds emboss encode esd firefox flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gif gmp gnome gnome-print gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 isdnlog java jmx jpeg lame ldap libg++ libwww mad madwifi mikmod motif mozdevelop mozilla mp3 mpeg mpeg2 mplayer mysql ncurses nls nptl nptlonly nvidia ogg opengl oss pam pcre pdflib perl php png ppds pppd python qt quicktime readline reflection samba sdl session spell spl ssl tcltk tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb vim vorbis win32codecs xml xmms xorg xv zlib elibc_glibc input_devices_keyboard input_devices_mouse kernel_linux userland_GNU video_cards_nvidia"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS
Any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks! :)
bat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all,

i got the same problem, my config: 2.6.15-7 on amd64 system (with kde 3.5.2) and 2.6.15-1 32-bit system. last stable xorg, 64bit Sempron 2800, NV GF4 mx 440, mb - foxcon on NF3 ....

I bought this hw just recently (earlier athlon 2600+ on NF2) and took this old GF gpu to new machine (on old one it worked flawless).
Now i have lockups on win XP, gentoo 32bit and gentoo 64bit .... i'm sure, that gpu is okay, ram is ok ... i'm just about to look for possibility to reduce agp speed in bios, but for me it is more likely to be a hw fault, cause it worked good, and now both - win and linux have this bug (altough linux freezes only gfx enviroment and I am able to ssh and do killall -9 X, and Win XP freezes hard and only manual reset helps :|)

i've tried nv, but didn't have any lockup, though i've been testing it only for couple of hours.

regs
bat
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally solved my lockups :D :D :D
I disabled all power management options in the BIOS, set all BIOS options to conservative modes (timing etc.). That did the trick (didn't have a single freeze for a week now). One small drawback: WinXP doesn't start anymore...nevermind.
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you run into a lockup, and are able to remotely ssh into your machine:

I was finally able to discern some more information today. I came into work and had a locked up machine and was able to ssh into it. X was running at around 96% CPU.

I use 'strace' to attach to X:

"strace -p <pid-number>"

and got something like this:

--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])
--- SIGALRM (Alarm clock) @ 0 (0) ---
sigreturn() = ? (mask now [])

signalling X was in an endless loop.

I also tried attaching to it using GDB:

gdb
attach <pid-number>
bt

But I didn't get a usable backtrace since X was stripped and built without debugging symbols.

So I'm rebuilding X today with debug and symbols (USE=debug and FEATURES=nostrip).

Hopefully this is of value to someone, in case it happens to you and you're able to get in your system and hack a bit inside and see what X is doing.

See also: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xorg/2006-January/012579.html
caleb
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other curiousity I've been toying with is to turn off the "smart" scheduling that X seems to do.

run: startx -- -dumbSched

when you start it up. I'm curious if that affects things, since my crash frequency is highly tied to kernel version.
ouroboros1827
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caleb wrote:
One other curiousity I've been toying with is to turn off the "smart" scheduling that X seems to do.

run: startx -- -dumbSched

when you start it up. I'm curious if that affects things, since my crash frequency is highly tied to kernel version.
Tried that with hope, didn't quite work out.
The fastest way to a lockup (reproducible on my box) is to open mozilla (1.7.13) and go to reallifecomics.com and hit previous a lot. About the 4th comic back, the cursor moves (doesn't change) and keyboard becomes unresponsive. Posting this with opera 8.52...

Running:
2.6.15-gentoo-r7 x86_64 made by menuconfig
xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6 with nv driver (6600gt)
glibc-2.3.5-r2 (can be upgraded to -r3, which was released yesterday) EDIT: it was STABLED yesterday for x86_64, in case you were wondering: stabled for my platform = released in my mind ;)

I remember in the past downgrading glibc to solve *some* problem I had, I will upgrade glibc to 2.3.5-r3 and see if that helps.

Thanks for the efforts, guys...the beast will be slain yet...:D

EDIT 2: I'm not compiling glibc with any special USE, so it'll do the nptl and linuxthreads compilations (2 compiles). That's what the warning said during emerge, at least...
kokes
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hint for those, who have problem with V_BIOS initialization:

Look for the patch (comment #37) in this bugreport:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2597.

It can be helpful...
do šklebu je sváže.
oneandoneis2
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you run into a lockup, and are able to remotely ssh into your machine:

I was finally able to discern some more information today. I came into work and had a locked up machine and was able to ssh into it. X was running at around 96% CPU.

I've been getting X lockups over the last few days, and SSH does indeed reveal that X is using almost all the CPU, and even kill -9 doesn't stop it.

The only time it happens is when using OpenGL - especially llxdoom, which locked me up about half a dozen times last night. I was thinking it might be my new graphics card, but judging by this thread, it's not just me with problems ;)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 31 of 37

Jump to: