Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmdrummond
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had these lockups on my system until recently. For Christmas I was given a Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3000. Since then I haven't had a single lockup. The only thing which should really make a difference is the fact that I no longer have a mouse plugged into the usb port - I'm just using the PS2 connector. I haven't got a clue if its relevant, but it's worth a try. I also no longer suffer lockups in Quake 3 or doom 3.
jspeybro
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is relevant, as I always used a PS/2 mouse and also experience the lockups when using the nvidia drivers (not when using nv drivers). But as has been posted many times, it's probably not nvidia related too.

Johan
http://counter.li.org - Registered Linux user #295636
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would give an old 2.6.10 kernel a try but the sources seem not to be available anymore. I fetched the 2.6.10-r8 ebuild but it can't download the sources...
TheUNabeefer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I *THINK* I fixed the problem *I* was having.... well, my problem was various conflicts with the NVIDIA driver, and my system would seriously lock to the point of nothing moving. Just a frozen image on my screen. Or once in a while I'd get a weird collage of stripes on my screen, like what happened in win98 when a video game would go bad.

Anyways, I put Option "NvAgp" "0" in my xorg.conf and was up for 17hours without a lockup, and then upgraded my kernel to 2.6.15.6, and so far so good. **still crossing EVERYTHING and knocking on wood**

I pray to some form of deity that this fixed my issue.... disabling acceleration or whatever.

I don't know. I don't understand HOW computers work... I just know I like it when they DO.

The One, The Only, The Unabeefer.

...I am a flying cow.... worship me or DIE!!!
stevenbowden
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on page 26 I posted my experiences with the lockups. After much hair pulling my solution was to disable the "CPU Smart Fan" option in the bios on my Gigabyte K8NS-ULTRA 939 motherboard.

There seemed to be some sort of cold boot problem that when this option was enabled the CPU fan would stop spinning after POSTing. I would then only get the lockups when the cpu fan tried to turn on when it reached a certain temperature. If I hit the reset button straight after posting the cpu fan would spin straight away and I would not get the problem. With the option disabled the cpu fan spins all of the time and is noiser when the cpu starts to heat up. I now control the cpu fan speed with fancontrol in the lm_sensors package.

I also just recently found this on the Gigabyte site:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/FAQ_List.aspx?FAQID=4648
Quote:
Q. The CPU smart fan fucntion on my motherboard is not working properly?
A. CPU smart fan will not function properly when using AMD E6 stepping CPU, meaning CPU fan speed does not change acccordingly to CPU temperature. This is due to E6 stepping CPU has different thermal characteristics
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, I reverted to kernel 2.6.10 from www.kernel.org. So far so good...I'll let you know if any more lockups occur.

Edit: It is...happening again. So for me kernel 2.6.10 does not solve anything. I'm a little bit lost here. what should we do? building a debug xorg and see which function hangs would probably be a good idea...
broken_chaos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Note beforehand, I think this is the right place to post this, but I could be wrong. Sorry if I am.)

I seem to be having X.org lockups that take the entire machine down (completely hard locked - nothing works), but they only occur when using GLX fairly heavily (for example, playing NWN or BZFlag). The first thing I tried was disabling RenderAccel, and I thought that had done it, but it hasn't seemed to actually fix the problem (it may have delayed it slightly, as it took longer to lockup with it off - but it could have just been coincidence). Nothing in any of the X.org log files shows any errors at all. Instead of posting full logs, there are only two lines that differ in any significant way from a non-crash X.org log (the - line is in the non-crash log, the + lines are in the crash log).
Code:
-(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: External Dual Link TMDS
+(--) NVIDIA(0): DFP-0: Internal Single Link TMDS
+(II) NVIDIA(0): Setting mode "1024x768"

The last line is also just Neverwinter Nights setting the resolution. I don't know why the other line is different, but it doesn't look extremly important.

This time the lockup occured some long time after starting to play (~1 hour - 56 minutes according to my NWN client log). Using latest stable X.org, and latest unstable nvidia glx/kernel. Video card is a GeForce3:
Code:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV20 [GeForce3 Ti 500] (rev a3)

A few possibly relevant parts of xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "Device"
   Identifier "Videocard"
   Driver "nvidia"
   VendorName "nVidia Corp."
   BoardName "nVidia GeForce 3"
   Option "NoLogo" "true"
   Option "HWCursor" "true"
   Option "CursorShadow" "false"
   Option "UseEDIDDPI" "false"
   Option "DPI" "96 x 96"
   Option "DPMS" "true"
#   Option "RenderAccel" "true" # Disabled this - had lockups with it on too
EndSection
Section "Screen"
   Identifier "Screen"
   Device "Videocard"
   Monitor "Display"
   DefaultDepth 24
   SubSection "Display"
      Viewport 0 0
      Depth 24
      Modes "1280x1024"
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Like I said, never locks up unless I'm doing something with lots of GLX usage. It may be worthwhile to note that I do turn on all possible effects and things (lighting effects, antialiasing, etc.) available in both Neverwinter Nights and BZFlag. Also there doesn't seem to be anything different about when it locks up. NWN, for example, just locked up as I was fighting a few skeletons, and had been doing so for at least 30 seconds (with no significant changes as to what was being rendered).

If someone's run into something like this before, any help possible would be appreciated. This obviously isn't critical (as it only locks up in games, and only sometimes), but it sure is a bit annoying...
enkil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in my post earlier, the kind of freeze I experienced were library-problems. I rebuilt toolchains, system, gtk and qt on both machines, rebooted and they don't lockup any more. They're up and running for 4d+ atm.
Maybe give it a try...
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have SOLVED the hard freezing after change my AOPEN PCX 5750 NVIDIA card by a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6500 from XFX.
There was a problem with the firmware/bios with my old card or an incompatibility with my hardware.
For all the people that has this problem with the hardfreezing go to hardware store and try a new card.
DennisM
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cameta wrote:
I have SOLVED the hard freezing after change my AOPEN PCX 5750 NVIDIA card by a NVIDIA GEFORCE 6500 from XFX.
There was a problem with the firmware/bios with my old card or an incompatibility with my hardware.
For all the people that has this problem with the hardfreezing go to hardware store and try a new card.

I think its the same situation here, but you are pretty crazy :P give me some money, ill do ;)
leo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkil wrote:
As I mentioned in my post earlier, the kind of freeze I experienced were library-problems. I rebuilt toolchains, system, gtk and qt on both machines, rebooted and they don't lockup any more. They're up and running for 4d+ atm.
Maybe give it a try...

I think that you are right. The problem began for me just after an emerge -e world, but with ~x86 keyword accepted. It cannot be a problem of video card (not in general, at least), becouse my GeForce2 and Geforce4 (on two different machines) gave no problem during the last year and now lockup after 2-10 minutes of OpenGL (with glxgears).

I'll try a complete rebuild (again, argh...).
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least for me it cannot be a library problem since I hade exactly the same lockups after installing OpenSuSE 10.0. This problem occurs across all linux distributions! There must be a bug in a software package/driver!
leo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we know a stable configuration? I mean: a particular version of Xorg, kernel, etc...
Sannin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after about 2 - 3 months, the problem appeared again just as suddenly as it disappeared :? ... I thought that some options (like Rendelaccel off) could be the solution, but apparently i was mistaken. A perfect description of the problem is what stingo said in his post:

Quote:
The lockups is not a crash. It is like your desktop freezes without apparent reason. Sometimes it was weird, like freezing in steps. One window hands u click somewhere it responds and next click anywhere it is dead. I moved back to 2.6.10 and running good 30 hours so far. With 2.6.15 lockups occured roughly once a day. I will post in a week. Please, post who suspect that it is a kernel issue.

I think that the problem might be in either the kernel or Xorg. I' ll try Xorg 7, but i dont expect much. Is there any developer' s opinion about this?
DarkCube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed gentoo on my laptop, brand new fresh install, and X11 loads up great and works perfectly, but if i move a window, it'll move about three inches and stop and i'll get the same freezing error where I can only move my mouse... :(

Needless to say that means it's pretty unusable

ATI x300 SE Mobility w/ ati-drivers
2.6.15-gentoo-r1

EDIT: yeah if i do anything for the most part but pull up small windows such as a terminal and just work within that window, it crashes
enkil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sannin wrote:
Well, after about 2 - 3 months, the problem appeared again just as suddenly as it disappeared :? ... I thought that some options (like Rendelaccel off) could be the solution, but apparently i was mistaken.

Then you might get rid of it by recompiling toolchains+coreutils, system, gtk and qt just like I did and mentioned earlier (!!).
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think its the same situation here, but you are pretty crazy :P give me some money, ill do

My card was in warranty.
There are combination from software, hardware and configuration that make appear this problem.
If you have this problem:
1º Update your Bios (Main card and VGA card)
2º Update your drivers
3º Update/downgrade your kernel
4º Change your xorg.conf with a "solution"
5º Try another card
cameta
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this:
Quote:
Ok...getting closer

The Tyan S2720 MB has one 5V PCI slot that I have been putting the NVidia cards in, except for the one. That one was the working GeForce FX5200, which is capable of using either a 5V or a 3.3V PCI slot and it was in a 3.3V PCI slot only. It worked.

I transfered the working GeForce FX5200 to the current computer and put the card in the 3.3V slot, and it worked! I then moved it to the one 5V PCI slot, and it exhibited the same problems as the other card but much newer card (GeForce FX 5700LE).

So, the problem card, GeForce FX 5700 LE, is only made for 5V PCI slots. It isn't dual voltage capable. This card will have to be returned. The final card of the three, the GeForce 5500 is dual voltage capable and I moved it out of the 5V PCI slot into a 3.3V PCI slot. I am testing to see if that solves the problem for that system as well.

So, there is some incompatability between Tyan 5V PCI slots and two NVidia cards made by two different manufacturers. I don't know if they use the same PCI interface chips...

I don't know if the AGP slots is dual voltage capable....

From http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=66698
DarkCube
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rebuilt my kernel using genkernel and the freezing is gone, now to find out what's wrong in mine...
Sannin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enkil wrote:
Sannin wrote:
Well, after about 2 - 3 months, the problem appeared again just as suddenly as it disappeared :? ... I thought that some options (like Rendelaccel off) could be the solution, but apparently i was mistaken.

Then you might get rid of it by recompiling toolchains+coreutils, system, gtk and qt just like I did and mentioned earlier (!!).

I did recently an emerge -e world and had a lot of changes made. This is my current configuration:

Code:
Portage 2.0.54 (default-linux/x86/2006.0, gcc-3.4.5, glibc-2.3.5-r2, 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.15-gentoo-r1 i686 AMD Athlon XP_M
Gentoo Base System version 1.6.14
ccache version 2.3 [enabled]
dev-lang/python:     2.3.5-r2, 2.4.2
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.12
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.59-r7
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r1
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.11-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -mcpu=i686 -O3 -pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/2/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/env /usr/kde/3.4/share/config /usr/kde/3.4/shutdown /usr/kde/3/share/config /usr/lib/X11/xkb /usr/lib/mozilla/defaults/pref /usr/share/config /usr/share/texmf/dvipdfm/config/ /usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/generic/config/ /usr/share/texmf/tex/platex/config/ /usr/share/texmf/xdvi/ /var/qmail/control"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/gconf /etc/terminfo /etc/env.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=athlon-xp -mtune=athlon-xp -mcpu=i686 -O3 -pipe -fforce-addr -fomit-frame-pointer -ftracer"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="autoconfig candy ccache distlocks fixpackages sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X a52 aac aalib acpi alsa apache2 apm arts artworkextra asf audiofile avi berkdb bitmap-fonts bzip2 cairo cdr cli crypt ctype cups curl dba dbus doc dri dts dv dvb dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd ethereal exif expat fam fastbuild ffmpeg firefox flac fontconfig foomaticdb force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gdbm gif gimp gimpprint glut gnokii gnome gnutls gphoto2 gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 gtkhtml hal idn ieee1394 imagemagick imlib ipv6 ithreads java jikes jpeg junit kde kdeenablefinal lcms libcaca libg++ libwww lirc lm_sensors logitech-mouse mad memlimit mikmod mmx mmx2 mmxext mng motif mozilla mp3 mpeg nautilus ncurses network nfs nls nodrm nptl nptlonly nsplugin nvidia offensive ogg on-the-fly-crypt openal opengl oss pam pcre pda pdflib perl png posix python qt quicktime readline real samba scanner sdl session simplexml slp snmp soap sockets spell spl sse ssl sysfs tcltk tcpd tetex theora threads tiff tokenizer truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts udev unicode usb userlocales vorbis win32codecs wma x86 xine xml xml2 xmms xmp xscreensaver xsl xv xvid zlib userland_GNU kernel_linux elibc_glibc"
Unset:  ASFLAGS, CTARGET, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY
stingo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingo wrote:
caleb wrote:
Can anyone confirm this on a kernel version <= 2.6.10 ?

I've been experiencing this problem haphazardly on a couple of my machines, and I had always thought it was an nvidia error (and I use the "nv" driver, not the "nvidia" driver). I just experienced it on a different machine recently, and the only thing I did recently was upgrade the kernel to 2.6.14.

All of my other machines running <= 2.6.10 have never had the issue.

Any thoughts?

My system: Athlon xp GF3; xorg 6.8.2
I recently upgraded from 2.6.10 to 2.6.15.4 with nvidia dirvers from 6629 to 8xxx. This is when lockups started. I believe this is somewhat kernel issue.
I am going to try to get back to 10. Anyone can also prove this is a kernel issue?
thanks.

I want to make an update. After I switched back to 2.6.10 lock ups stopped but I also reverted to nvidia 6629! Unfotunately I had to also switch to alsa-kernel and after all something got broken with my video codecs. So after that I decided to try 2.6.14 (I had heard only 15 kernel had problems with 6629) , but install nvida 6629. That is what I did. Fortunately Mplayer started to work and I am running over a week without lock ups. Now I am extremely suspicious about nvidia 8xx series. I have GF3.

Good luck all.
Sannin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that Xorg 7 is finally availabe at ~arch, i' ll give it a shot!
leo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it can be a kernel issue, you are talking about 2.6 kernels, but I experience the lockup with a 2.4.31-gentoo-r1.

[EDIT] With nvidia from 7xxx to 8xxx
smypee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too experience the lockups equally from kernel 2.6.10 to 2.6.15 (will try 2.6.16). Using an ATI radeon 9700 on modular xorg.

Last edited by smypee on Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Mindphaser
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long long fight, my modular X + GNOME is working !!
No lockups so far (latest nvidia driver on Kernel 2.6.15), but most fonts are damn small, for example the menus, the fonts in firefox and inside the Gnome Terminal...
I made no changes to my xorg.conf, resolution is still 1600x1200 (21" CRT) with 100dpi.

Anyone experienced the same & know a solution ?

thnx and kisses in advance
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 30 of 37

Jump to: