Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
X.org Lockups (part 2)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgao
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also seeing this problem.

My machine is ThinkPad A30, which uses radeon driver. It locks up when using firefox or thunderbird. Anyone knows any workaround or a fix?

x11-base/xorg-x11-7.0-r1
gentoo-sources-2.6.17-r4

Simon
trizz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help all of you, but on my system adding
Code:
noapic
to the kernel boot options in my grub.conf cured it.
Iron_Mike
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im going to try that ASAP, as we have the same hardware (or pertty similar) I really hope it is going to stop before I go :twisted:
Tumnes
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it seems like I am having the same problem but when i use the radeon drivers instead of fglrx it doesnt happen.
Small_Penguin
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X.org-X11 will freeze my system completely (Radeon 9500 Pro open source drm and mesa). However, if I add `Option "Bustype" "PCI"' to xorg.conf, the freezes go away and DRI and OpenGL work. All the other options don't seem to have any effect.
I wish it would work in AGP mode though, because I can't watch TV this way (it's choppy, I guess the PCI transfer rate is not sufficient). Better than nothing. I can enable the DRI module in AGP mode; as long as I don't load the glx module everything works fine, so I can at least choose between two options ;-)
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same exact issue going on here. It only happened after i upgraded to Xorg 7.0 and it used to just happen when i played bzflag and it would only happen like once a day... then it slowly increased until i can't run any thing opengl without my box crashing.

the w3b
W3BMAST3R101
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: The card is fried. Since so many people have been having this error for so long i think that's the issue for the majority of the cards. Consider this a reason to upgrade.

the w3b
esanbock
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: RenderAccel! Reply with quote

RenderAccel is the problem - turn it off now!
RabbidFrogLobotomy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turning off ACPI fan control almost did it for me.
I used to have lockups about every hour, but I've only had once since I dumped fan control.
Im thinking about tunring off ACPI all together and do a few cash tests.
Just my few cents
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W3BMAST3R101 wrote:
Update: The card is fried. Since so many people have been having this error for so long i think that's the issue for the majority of the cards. Consider this a reason to upgrade.

the w3b

I don't think so really. Many users here have tried other operating systems without any problems. I have had this problem for a long time and Windows XP and XP x86_64 works like a charm even when highly stressed. I have switched from an Ati to an Nvidia card and the problem still exists. I haven't tried Gentoo though for a long time (running Ubuntu atm). Something is really messed up in Glibc/Linux/Firefox/Gecko etc.
Gnux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaZoR1394 wrote:
W3BMAST3R101 wrote:

the w3b

I don't think so really. Many users here have tried other operating systems without any problems. I have had this problem for a long time and Windows XP and XP x86_64 works like a charm even when highly stressed. I have switched from an Ati to an Nvidia card and the problem still exists. I haven't tried Gentoo though for a long time (running Ubuntu atm). Something is really messed up in Glibc/Linux/Firefox/Gecko etc.

+1
I'm just discovering this topic. I've got an old nvidia on an asus deluxe mobo. And X under linux lockups...
Under FreeBSD (which is my main os now) no problem or lockups or whatsoever...I even tried XP x86_64 and it works like a charm too...
It's really strange...
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnux wrote:

+1
I'm just discovering this topic. I've got an old nvidia on an asus deluxe mobo. And X under linux lockups...
Under FreeBSD (which is my main os now) no problem or lockups or whatsoever...I even tried XP x86_64 and it works like a charm too...
It's really strange...[/quote]

Almost exactly my situation here, using a GF6600GT - only started getting lockups recently with Xorg 7.1 and the newest NVidia drivers. It's worked flawlessly up to this point, FreeBSD and WinXP are rock solid under heavy load.

An almost guaranteed way to get it to lock hard is open a Konsole, get it doing something processor intensive e.g. video transcoding using mencoder, fire up Firefox, (or Konqueror, or just about anything that you can scroll up and down in), and scroll up and down a website with the mousewheel or cursor keys. Sooner or later, the text will corrupt and the machine locks hard requiring a reset.

After over 4 years of near-trouble-free ~x86, Gentoo has become practically unusable in 1 week :(
doppelganger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to go back to xorg 6.x to keep my dual screen setup from locking. I have been running a IBM T41 for over 2 years now with no issues from Gentoo. Xorg 7 hosed up my dual monitor setup upon the first login. I can run single head config with no issues, but as soon as I crank up the other monitor and scroll in FF or even exit the WM, it locks. Xorg 7 seems fine for single head setups, but there are issues with dual setups and possibly the vid card I'm using. It's still too flaky to run for me, and as of right now I am ugrading to the last 6.x version of xorg in portage. I really don't want to see it leave because emerge is going to drop a load of messages when it gets yanked out of portage.

Dopp
mterlouw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a case of packages being marked stable that are clearly not stable. For instance, if a certain version of nvidia.o doesn't work with a certain version of xorg, isn't that what package.mask is for?
alienvenom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but I noticed by accident that if i enable, disable and then enable the OpenGL Spectrum Analyser in XMMS, the system will completely freeze. Not just X, but the system all together. It doesn't even respond to ping. When I first did this, it wasn an accident, but it's very repeatable. I've already tried things like adding "noapic" and other such configuration options, but can't seem to figure it out.

I'm using the "radeon" driver with a Mobility Radeon 9200. If anyone has any ideas... I'm all ears!
Shinjisan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a problem with xorg, which crashes after I issue the 'startx' command.
The screen turns black (with KDE) or black with white horizantal stripes (nothing specified in rc.conf) and the keyboard is completely disabled (not even toggling numlock works) but when I press the power-button, the system seems to shutdown normally (hearing the hd, and seeing the light flash).
I can't (at least not conveniently) post my xorg.conf, because I can't figure out how to copy it into links (see the n00b-sign under my name? :wink:).
However, the same (I think) xorg.conf worked like a charm last time. I'm using the 'nvidia' driver (1.0.8762-r1 or 1.0.8774 makes no difference) with xorg 7.0-r1 on an amd64 system.
revdep-rebuild is empty at this time (was recompiling nvidia-drivers 1.0.8774 over and over again though (due to libXext and some other lib which name escaped me at the moment), now it's empty with 8762-r1 installed.

edit:
Ok, nevermind. Seems like mm-sources were the problem.
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a new version of mesa 6.5.1 and xorg-server-1.1.1-r1 in portage.

Did anybody upgrade and did this upgrade stop the lockups?
njustn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: perhaps new information Reply with quote

Hi guys, just started watching this thread after dealing with this problem for three weeks, but have some info you might find interesting.

The system currently showing the problem was fine up until 3 weeks ago,
Tyan K7 Thunder
2x athlon 1800 MPs
nvidia geForce4 ti 4600
etc.

no lockups, no such problems at all.

Then, one day, randomly the card died on me, went and replaced it with an ati card, which never worked at all, then exchanged that for an nvidia card, the geforce 7600 if i recall correctly.

Since then, across 3 or four different GPUs, the problem will not go away, as far as I can recall I didn't update any packages at that time or change my software configuration in any major way, so I'm starting to think this is a problem with newer GPUs. Later today I'm going to fish out my old nvidia geforce2 and see if that shows the problem or not.
njustn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: geforce2 Reply with quote

well, while I realize a short test is non-conclusive, I put in the geforce2 and did everything that i have had make X crash horribly, and it hasn't done so. perhaps this will narrow it down to newer graphics drivers (geforce2 uses nvidia-legacy-drivers package)
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only one computer that was experiencing lockups (ATI), other 3 (nvidia, intel 855, mach64) worked ok for me, and stil do.

Today I changed agp mode to 4 from 8 (which I have mistakenly just coppied from net, as my mainboard supports 4 max), and lowered the GARTsize from 64 to 32. in xorg.conf.

I also synced portage and updated world (Look 3 posts up). During emerges i ran amule, ssh, sshd, firefox, konsole, digikam (512Mb download from camera), kaffeine , konqueror ... Mostly all of them at the same time.

For now system is up and running. No crashes, yet. I hope it will survive the night.If it does I'll try to return GARTSize to 64 and see what happens.

---EDIT ---

I forgot to mention. I changed a setting in BIOS, than turns off monitor after some time...

--- :( :( :( EDIT :( :( :( ---

Looks like the thing crashed again.... I cant even ping the machine.
When will this lockups stop, what to do?
Even new versions of xorg, do not help!

This is slowly bringing linux into a bad light.
I installed linux on my brothers machine 2 years ago, as windows were crashing all the time. Fedora core 3 worked flawlesly for him until then. He was happy with linux and alwas put a good word for it as his experiances were that it never crashed on him. Now I finaly got a chance to install gentoo, because he needed an upgrade (usb devices - camera, usb key). He gave me a computer for a week to install gentoo, he got it back, AND now gentoo crashes all the time. It never happened to me on my machines. I like gentoo very much, but what to say him. Now linux looks just as unstable as windows....

That's my problem, and for now it's unsolvable.

I'll test vesa driver, but this is NOT called a solution, even if it works.
P.S.: This machine has xorg's radeon driver, not a propriety driver.
njustn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: question Reply with quote

you say you have one computer that exhibits the problem and 3 that do not, right now i have one that does and one that does not, is there any chance you would be willing to post what the difference in packages is between the crashing one and the non-crashing ones? I will do the same as soon as I get my non-crashing computer set back up (moving atm), maybe we can narrow this down a bit, because even though the occurrence seems random, there's definitely something wrong here, in software, and it's new
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem similar to this, but it's not a hard freeze. It seems like the cpu load is very high, but really all I think is happening is that something delays response to mouse and keyboard events. I can think of a couple things:
- There is a process that is making init hang.
- There is a semaphore blocking access to a feature, that more and more stuff waits for.

I thought it had something to do with sleep combined with some network app, probably evolution. However, I use firefox as well.

Once this happens, killing off evolution, firefox or even the X server does not solve the problem. I try to reboot sanely and I lose everything, it locks up solid. A netstat -an gets a lot more stuff than I would think.

Moreover, there is a guy in the next cube over who is using the latest Debian who has the same problem, even without X. I have a minimal Gentoo box with no X and with darn little else, and it works fine.
agent_jdh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1clue wrote:
I'm having a problem similar to this, but it's not a hard freeze. It seems like the cpu load is very high, but really all I think is happening is that something delays response to mouse and keyboard events. I can think of a couple things:
- There is a process that is making init hang.
- There is a semaphore blocking access to a feature, that more and more stuff waits for.

I thought it had something to do with sleep combined with some network app, probably evolution. However, I use firefox as well.

Once this happens, killing off evolution, firefox or even the X server does not solve the problem. I try to reboot sanely and I lose everything, it locks up solid. A netstat -an gets a lot more stuff than I would think.

Moreover, there is a guy in the next cube over who is using the latest Debian who has the same problem, even without X. I have a minimal Gentoo box with no X and with darn little else, and it works fine.

I think you'd be better off starting a fresh thread on this (maybe in Networking or Other Things Gentoo) - it's not a lockup and possibly isn't X related. Plus this thread seems to have become a space for people (like me) to have a rant about dodgy drivers.
RaZoR1394
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mterlouw wrote:
I think this is a case of packages being marked stable that are clearly not stable. For instance, if a certain version of nvidia.o doesn't work with a certain version of xorg, isn't that what package.mask is for?

Could be so but in that case it would be weird that I'm having this problem with all kinds of distros (Knoppix, Gentoo, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, ...). I did also notice that I'm having the mouse movable but rest frozen problem now that I'm using nVidia.

Gnux wrote:
RaZoR1394 wrote:
W3BMAST3R101 wrote:

the w3b

+1
It's really strange...

At least you are able to run FreeBSD, I aint for some reason. I think the nforce chipset is the culprit.
sakus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if my problems are related to this, but here's my story.. I recently had my old PC (32bit 2500+ Athlon, Abit NF7-S, etc) crap out on me, and had to build a new one. I'm now running an AMD64 on Abit KN9 Ultra mobo. The GFX card is a PCI-E nVidia 7600GT, and I have two TFT displays. I had the two screens on the old PC as well and everything worked well.

However, on the new system I started to see nasty hard locks and random crashing of various software. I usually run Anarchy Online on Cedega on the secondary screen and everything else on the primary screen. The game would crash on me at least once an hour, sometimes it wouldn't go for longer than 10 minutes at a time without crashing. Sometimes the computer would just hard lock - sometimes when this happened everything was OK on the screen(s), sometimes everything got scrambled so that you couldn't tell what was on the screens. This also happened without the game running, usually when I was watching something on Kaffeine/Mplayer but also when I was just surfing the web and listening to music.

I started experimenting and noticed that as long as I don't run anything on the second display, everything's well. No crashes, no hard locks, everything works like a charm. I still have both of the screens configured, but I just don't run anything on the second one. I don't use twinview or anything, just a basic dualhead setup so that both of the screens run their own separate X session (if I've understood correctly).

I'm running a 64bit install of Gentoo, mostly stable packages but some chosen ~amd64 ones. The kernel I currently use is 2.6.18-gentoo, nVidia drivers 1.0.8774 and X.org 7.1. I've tried a couple of different kernel, nvidia-drivers and xorg versions and the problem is always there - unless I don't run anything on the second screen.

So yeah. I have two TFT's but can only use one of them if I don't want to restart crashing programs or press the reset button every now and then. I'm thinking I'll just go on with one screen for a while and keep trying utilizing the second one every once in a while when some packages have been updated, hoping that what ever the problem is would've disappeared..

Last edited by sakus on Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 33 of 37

Jump to: